Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Patriots have a "Revis" type pricetag on Mallett « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 27, 2013, 12:28:56 AM

Ryan Mallett | Quarterback

Team:  New England Patriots

Age / DOB:   (24) / 6/5/1988

Ht / Wt:   6'6' / 238

College:  Arkansas

Contract: 
  • 7/28/2011: Signed a four-year, $2,947,828 contract. The deal included a $646,876 signing bonus. 2013: $642,984, 2014: $776,976, 2015: Free Agent

NFL.com reports the Patriots won't trade Ryan Mallett for less than a first-round pick, or "maybe" a second.The Pats are remarkably adept at pumping up their backup QBs' value through the media, but it does stand to reason they'd want more than the third-round pick they spent on Mallett in any potential deal. We'd guess the "maybe" on a second-rounder is more "probably," however. New England may have lost a potential trading partner in the Browns Wednesday after they signed Jason Campbell.

Mar 26 - 10:02 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#1 : March 27, 2013, 12:58:24 AM

Mallet isn't worth a 3rd round pick, let along a 1st or 2nd. GTFOH Patriots

PewterBlitz

Starter

#2 : March 27, 2013, 01:50:27 AM

Lol this is why people hate them, thats an absurd price tag.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 27, 2013, 03:00:47 AM

Lol, what?

danlowe748

Starter

#4 : March 27, 2013, 03:08:21 AM

He's worth a 2nd.   Tebow is worth a 3rd.   I'm not sure who else is out there, but I bet there are more opportunities for an upgrade besides those 2.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 27, 2013, 03:14:17 AM

Brady is 35 and the pats have been grooming mallet for sometime. Either they feel hes worth a lot to them because they see him as the replacement for Brady, or they hope someone else over values him due to being groomed behind Brady.

Either way, you cant really argue against their logic. They are basically saying its going to take a lot to get him and if your dumb enough to over pay, then they will gladly trade. I dont see why anyone would blast the pats for that. If the bucs had a guy like that sitting around as a backup behind one of the greats, I wouldnt be upset if they did the same thing. Its smart business. If no one bites, then you still have the guy youve invested a pick and a lot of time developing. No harm, no foul.

I think people just like to complain about the patriots because they win a lot and because they got busted for spygate. Most of what they do is smart and it yeilds good results most of time. I guess some could also be jealous of that as weel.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 27, 2013, 03:22:38 AM

He's worth a 2nd.   Tebow is worth a 3rd.   I'm not sure who else is out there, but I bet there are more opportunities for an upgrade besides those 2.

Lol.Tebow went to the Jets for a 4th and a 6th when he was actually on the field. Now that hes a punt protector with almost no paying time you think hes worth a 3rd?

And whos upgrading what? Most teams either one would be a backup. Only those absolutely desperate wih no faith in the qbs in this draft and also thinking they wont be near top 5 pick next year despite being desperate for a Qb would pay that....in otherwords, no one in their right mind.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 27, 2013, 08:08:39 AM

Mallett is worth a second, IMO. Cheap way to look for a potential heir to the QB1 throne. Should 5 waffle between decent and awful again, we could replace him with a high ceiling player with a missile launcher for an arm.

Of course, the Bucs have a paper thin corp of DTs, DEs, and CBs, so an investment of this nature seems out of the realm of possibility. But anything can happen.

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

#8 : March 27, 2013, 08:14:45 AM

That Tebow part literally made me laugh out loud. I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if they got even a 7th for him

Go Bucs

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 27, 2013, 08:18:44 AM

Tebow is worth a roster spot for Tampa. He can play backup, even for the next guy in that event, and will draw people into the seats.

Jettison the guy when people return to watch a quality product.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 27, 2013, 08:39:59 AM

Mallett is worth a second, IMO. Cheap way to look for a potential heir to the QB1 throne. Should 5 waffle between decent and awful again, we could replace him with a high ceiling player with a missile launcher for an arm.
Why is Mallett worth a 2nd when three years ago no one in the NFL thought he was worth a 2nd where in a month any team could use a 2nd on a player the rest of the league thinks is worth a 2nd?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

danlowe748

Starter

#11 : March 27, 2013, 08:42:04 AM

Why is Mallett worth a 2nd when three years ago no one in the NFL thought he was worth a 2nd where in a month any team could use a 2nd on a player the rest of the league thinks is worth a 2nd?

This year's draft is weak.   A 2nd this year is a 4th any other year.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#12 : March 27, 2013, 08:56:18 AM

No. And Hell no.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 27, 2013, 08:58:22 AM

That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 27, 2013, 09:02:47 AM

I'd rather spend a mid round pick on Barkley, EJ Manuel, Glennon, Dysert, Scott then use a 1st or 2nd on Mallett.  I could see a QB desparate team giving up a second this year but a first is laughable.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Patriots have a "Revis" type pricetag on Mallett « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools