Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Patriots have a "Revis" type pricetag on Mallett « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

youngone

Hall of Famer
#30 : March 27, 2013, 11:52:05 AM

Also, for a second round investment, you potentially get a decent QB who has been groomed by the greatest HV/QB combo in NFL history.
Then why not sign Matt Cassell, Kevin O'Connell, Brian Hoyer, or Zac Robinson?

Spot on... They haven't groomed any QB thats worth a damn yet.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 27, 2013, 04:07:39 PM

Said it over and over and over...for a second round investment, maybe a third, you get a QB that has potential (so while some may use Cassell as an example, it actually backs up my point...that these backups coming out of NE groomed under BB/TB, they come out with a lot of potential. Which is all Mallett is.)

If Freeman tanks, or is deemed not worthy, having a solid backup with potential is important. Mallett may or may not be this or that, but he is a cheap alternative for a contingency should the Bucs dispense of their first rounder for Revis...

Trade for Mallett. Freeman is going to disappoint.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 27, 2013, 04:10:02 PM

He's worth a 2nd.   Tebow is worth a 3rd.   I'm not sure who else is out there, but I bet there are more opportunities for an upgrade besides those 2.

You lost me at Tebow. Dude is garbage at the QB position.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 27, 2013, 04:16:00 PM

If Freeman tanks
If Freeman tanks, you use the top 10 pick you're going to get on a QB the entire NFL thinks is going to be a top 10 pick and not someone the entire NFL thought wasn't worth drafting until after pick #73.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Al Bundy

Pro Bowler

#34 : March 27, 2013, 04:20:26 PM

Is this Danlowe a new Java/Illuminator mult?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#35 : March 27, 2013, 04:24:32 PM

You idiots using hindsight to support your argument are ludicrous.

Mallett may or may not be. His value will be deemed high as a result of his background in NE. Duh.

Wether some other player failed is of no consequence to me. Different players.

And Pioli is now gone FWIW. So is Dom next?  And if we get Revis and lose out in picks, do you resign him to a Long term, expensive deal that marries us to a subpar QB?  Bucs would be wise to consider this trade, in the event Revis is dealt, Bucs lose out the picks, and they decide to go another direction. And Mallett has the same arm strength that keeps the offense intact, rather than adjusting the play calls and becoming pinned. I know the inherent risk, but I also think Freeman is goin to continue frustrating us, and then we will have to wait two years to roll with a decent prospect, who will most likely be yet another rook. Rebuild?  Again?  Screw that. I'll take up golf if this stupidity and lack of proper planning continues under this chaos and confusion.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 27, 2013, 05:11:30 PM

How do you figure? Mallett has never thrown a pass in a game that counts in the NFL. Revis is the best CB in the NFL when healthy. Do you not see the difference there?

The main difference I see is Mallett costs 750k per year and plays the most important position in football. Paying a second round pick and only taking on that small salary for a shot at a guy at that position is basically no cost, as long as the front office believes he can possibly be the answer at QB. The number of passes he has thrown in the NFL is irrelevant because you're committing so little to him and the payoff is huge.

Revis' cost is exponentially higher for an exponentially less important position. Whereas Mallett costs nothing in terms of salary flexibility, Revis costs you young, cheap players (the picks you're giving up to get him) as well as the ability to bring in free agents to flesh out the roster.

None of this is to say that I believe Mallett is the answer. I have no knowledge of his skills as a quarterback. If the team believes he could be the answer, giving up a second and getting him on a third round pick's contract is basically free. It's not even close in terms of the actual cost and opportunity cost of trading for Revis and the potential reward is much, much higher.
That leads to what seems to me to be a fairly obvious question though: if salary flexibility is a concern, would it really make more sense to trade for Mallett than it would be to just draft a QB?  I mean, sure, you get the NE effect, but I'm not sure that isn't somewhat overrated.  (NE rarely loses trades, ime.)  And Mallett's going to be up for a new contract soon enough.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 27, 2013, 05:45:39 PM

Bucs did fine in a trade with NE.

Everything is all risk regarding new QBs. Would rather have a groomed young one, with a strong skill set.

If Freeman dissapoints yet again, and the Bucs get Revis...they better be braced for reality in the NFL with no QB.

Mallett has a skill set I think translates, and his time in NE should be a positive.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#38 : March 27, 2013, 06:15:11 PM

That leads to what seems to me to be a fairly obvious question though: if salary flexibility is a concern, would it really make more sense to trade for Mallett than it would be to just draft a QB?  I mean, sure, you get the NE effect, but I'm not sure that isn't somewhat overrated.  (NE rarely loses trades, ime.)  And Mallett's going to be up for a new contract soon enough.

Trading for Mallett vs drafting a quarterback is strictly a question of QB evaluation. If you have him even with a guy you can draft, you just draft the guy because you lock them in for four years. If you're higher on Mallett, if you value his time with Belichick and Brady, you make the trade. If you have an incoming rookie rated higher, you draft the rookie. The cost of either option is cheap.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 27, 2013, 06:21:11 PM

I tried to tell people who thought the Patriots would take a 3rd rounder that they were smoking crack...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 27, 2013, 06:22:08 PM

And I have to laugh at the comments about the Pats never having groomed a QB. They have Tom Frucken Brady. Backups listen and carry a clipboard and sniff Brady's jock occasionally. And Cassell is sad, but as a Pat he won ten games.

As a Chef, he won zilch. But there is a complete different team and structure in that argument. But it shows he CAN run a team like the Pats into double digit wins.

Trade for Mallett. Doms history with second rounders makes this a worthwhile investment.

Knucknbuc

Pro Bowler

#41 : March 27, 2013, 06:25:49 PM

Giving anything more then a 5th for a guy whose never taken one meaningful snap in the NFL is ridiculous in my opinion.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 27, 2013, 06:26:14 PM

And I have to laugh at the comments about the Pats never having groomed a QB. They have Tom Frucken Brady. Backups listen and carry a clipboard and sniff Brady's jock occasionally.

And how is that worth the ransom they're asking for?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#43 : March 27, 2013, 06:26:50 PM

Has been explained to death. Read.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#44 : March 27, 2013, 06:29:38 PM

Giving anything more then a 5th for a guy whose never taken one meaningful snap in the NFL is ridiculous in my opinion.

Does that mean you'd never draft a QB before the fifth round?

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Patriots have a "Revis" type pricetag on Mallett « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools