Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Evaluating the Bucs' non-Revis cornerback options « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : March 27, 2013, 12:41:10 AM »

Evaluating the Bucs' non-Revis cornerback options

Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:46am

AP photo
Mike Jenkins is from Manatee County and would likely find the Bucs appealing, but there’s been a very soft market for him to this point.

In case you’re wondering, no, the Bucs haven’t signed a cornerback yet. They still want Darrelle Revis, but that deal with the Jets continues to hang in the balance.

With that said, we know (or assume) the Bucs are going to add some cornerbacks – at some point. And that leaves an important question: Who’s even out there?

The big names among free-agent cornerbacks this year, in retrospect, were more names than anything else. The passive posture taken by teams toward available cornerbacks confirms this.

Only a handful of the better cornerbacks have even been signed, leaving numerous players with varying degrees of past success still available. As the Bucs look to improve what was, statistically, the NFL’s worst secondary, here’s a sampling of the free agents they’ll be choosing from (keeping in mind they might draft multiple cornerbacks next month).

(2012 team in parenthesis)

Nnamdi Asomugha (Eagles):
He reportedly is nearing a deal with either the Saints or 49ers and hasn’t been connected to Tampa Bay. But he’s among the best cornerbacks still available despite his struggles last season.

Brent Grimes (Falcons): Grimes is coming off a ruptured Achilles and seems to have initially set his asking price too high. He's now generating quite a bit of interest, but the Bucs, we're told, aren't going to be his landing spot.

Antoine Winfield (Vikings): He’s 35, so he’s not a great option, but he’s experienced and can still play at a pretty high level. Some see him as a better fit in the slot, though he can obviously play on the perimeter, too. Winfield reportedly is visiting the Redskins on Wednesday.

Quentin Jammer (Chargers): This former first-round pick is also getting up there in age, now 33. He’s been a starter for his entire 12-year career, including last season when he made three interceptions for the Chargers. In any case, I’m told the Bucs haven’t contacted him so this might be a moot point.

Tracy Porter (Broncos): He didn’t have a good 2012 season, starting just four games for Denver, but he’s young (26) and has some ability. Porter was instrumental in the Saints’ 2009 championship season, and his past in the NFC South means the Bucs' front office is familiar with him. The Saints and Raiders reportedly are interested.

DeAngelo Hall (Redskins): Hall has superb ball skills. Always has, evidenced by his 39 career interceptions. But Hall’s weakness – man coverage – could be problematic for a team like the Bucs, who use the tactic extensively. Probably not the best fit for Tampa Bay.

Mike Jenkins (Cowboys): He experienced his share of struggles in Dallas last season, losing his place in the starting lineup. But Jenkins, formerly of USF, has put solid play on tape in the past. The 28-year old is from Manatee County and would likely find the Bucs appealing, but there’s been a very soft market for him to this point.

Joselio Hanson (Raiders): He’s been a reliable slot/third cornerback for most of his eight seasons, and that doesn’t appear likely to change. Whoever signs Hanson wouldn’t be doing so with plans of him being one of their top cover men. But he would provide far better depth than the Bucs had in 2012.

danlowe748

Starter

« #1 : March 27, 2013, 07:34:47 AM »

I'd like to see the Bucs sign Mike Jenkins.    He's a local boy and would play his butt off for the Bucs.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #2 : March 27, 2013, 10:01:26 AM »

F it, lets just draft Xavier Rhodes at 13 and trade back into the first for Trufant. Bring Barber and Eric Wright back on the cheap.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #3 : March 27, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »

I'd like to see the Bucs sign Mike Jenkins.    He's a local boy and would play his butt off for the Bucs.

If healthy +1

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : March 27, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »

I don't like any of these options except for maybe jammer or grimes. Mike maybe too, but only because he's a local, young still, and would be cheap.

Still, it seems like revis, ....or these other guys. Kinda like choosing between a slightly used Lambo, or choosing between a group of old, beat up pick up trucks.

The way i see it, if they don't bring in revis, they had better draft a couple of high round corners. Because that's the one position that's going to cost dom his job if it's not fixed this season. Nevermind schiano's and Freeman's jobs as well.

And even if they do get revis, they're still going to have to draft or FA the "pippen" to his "Jordan." If they don't get both sides covered well, or at least get some pressure, someone is still going to get picked on back there. So the opposite of a revis-led defense would be pretty important also.
« : March 27, 2013, 03:06:28 PM Benchwarmer#1 »

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 27, 2013, 09:07:23 PM »

F it, lets just draft Xavier Rhodes at 13 and trade back into the first for Trufant. Bring Barber and Eric Wright back on the cheap.

Agree, that list sucks.   If we land Revis, move up for Milliner.   If we don't get Revis, draft 2 CB's with the first 2 picks,  maybe Milliner/ Rhodes.   Rhodes/Trufant

At this point in time, Ronde is no help at CB.  He could be a help at safety, but I don't think we need him back at all.  That is a valuable spot you could plug a young into.

I am not sure Eric fits in anywhere.  Even if he slashes his salary. I think we have seen his best effort, and it ain't pretty.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

« #6 : March 27, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »

Trufant seems to be climbing the ladder.

Heard the talking heads on NFL network talking Trufant up quite a bit this morning.

He may not make it very far in the 1st as far as they are concerned.

Wright MUST get shown the door.  He's not a "Buccaneer Man."

Can't be trusted, doesn't buy into the program, certainly isn't accountable.

Turn the page.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #7 : March 27, 2013, 09:20:42 PM »

Heard the talking heads on NFL network talking Trufant up quite a bit this morning.

I like Trufant, but I think he would be there at our second round pick.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

« #8 : March 27, 2013, 09:43:40 PM »

Certainly hope you're right.

The way they described him was "tough as nails player that can cover."

IMO, the team need a few of those types.

Turn the page.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : March 27, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »

Certainly hope you're right.

The way they described him was "tough as nails player that can cover."

IMO, the team need a few of those types.

Agree, but there are some pretty nice lineman available.  And there may be a run on QB's early too.  Plus Milliner.   

So Trufant won't go that early.  No one is going to trade up for him.  Nice player, but not trade up worthy.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Evaluating the Bucs' non-Revis cornerback options « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools