Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 28.8 M in cap space « previous next »
Page: 1 2

utbuc

Second String

: March 28, 2013, 01:36:47 AM

Plus if we release wright add that we would have the most cap space in the league. Right now we are only .1 behind the bengals who do you think we should try to sign?

utbuc

Second String

#1 : March 28, 2013, 01:42:13 AM

I don't understand why we have not signed a couple guys we need dline depth and corners. With how much cap space we have and everyone signing for a lot less then what was expected I don't know why we are not pursueing anyone. With the FA left I think we should try to sign abraham, tommy kelly if he will sign cheap. We need corners with what is left its hard to really pick certain people we need vets maybe namdhi, hall, winfield. We need to sign someone incase this revis thing does not go through even if it does we will need one or two more corners.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 28, 2013, 02:11:05 AM

I imagine they are leaving a lot of that free for a Revis deal, draft picks, and a possible Mike Williams/Freeman extension. Though if that's the case I seriously question the plan to fill so many holes with rookies.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 28, 2013, 02:50:00 AM

I think the plan, as of right now, is to get the jets to agree to two seconds and a player for revis. Otherwise, if desparate, a first next season and then use this year's first to draft Rhodes for the opposite side.

Judging by the lack of interest in FA, and basically lying to the public (stating they will be active in FA. After the goldson signing), they appear to be pretty confident in something.

And going by the amount they have in wait, it seems like they will save the rest for IF they want freeman back, signing the draftees, and making sure revis gets his megadeal. Also worth mentioning, Dom structures many of his players contracts with up-front money and bonuses. Some players will not be as expensive next season, or the season after, but they will still need big bucks to keep the players worth keeping.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 28, 2013, 02:50:02 AM

It's painfully obvious they are interested in Revis and that's all they are interested in. They want to pair Revis with Goldson and Barron in the secondary, put a stop-gap on the other side, and then draft a DL. It seems they feel this is all that's needed to fix the defense.

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#5 : March 28, 2013, 03:16:38 AM

Isn't there language in the new bargaining agreement that forces teams to spend right up to the cap (the floor I remember seemed unmanageable)? 

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 28, 2013, 05:45:41 AM

Isn't there language in the new bargaining agreement that forces teams to spend right up to the cap (the floor I remember seemed unmanageable)?

Starting this year, there will be salary cash floor in place. But that salary floor in cash will not force the Buccaneers to spend. For one, it's set at 89% of the salary cap. With the cap expected to be around $121 million, that'd give the Bucs (and every other NFL team) a target of $107.69 million. The Bucs have around $81 million in pure salary committed to this season, by my accounting, but counting in some bonuses not covered by salary and rookie contracts yet to be signed they should be able to reach that target easily without splurging in free agency in any way.

But that's not the biggest problem with this story. The biggest issue is that the salary cash floor does not apply to a single year. Instead, it applies to the four-year period running from 2013 through the 2016 season. Every NFL team must spend 89% of the salary cap cumulatively over those seasons.

danlowe748

Starter

#7 : March 28, 2013, 06:23:42 AM

With how much cap space we have and everyone signing for a lot less then what was expected

Goldson didn't sign for a lot less.   He got a huge contract.   Of all the signings so far, he was probably the most overpaid signing this year.    It seems their strategy is to overspend for the guys they really really want, and then not sign anyone else.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 28, 2013, 07:21:19 AM

With how much cap space we have and everyone signing for a lot less then what was expected

Goldson didn't sign for a lot less.   He got a huge contract.   Of all the signings so far, he was probably the most overpaid signing this year.    It seems their strategy is to overspend for the guys they really really want, and then not sign anyone else.

That does appear to be the plan....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 28, 2013, 07:51:48 AM

If we trade for Revis and resign Mike Williams, which appears to be the plan, that is $20M+ right there. If the Bucs plan on giving them more money up front so they cost less later, it could be closer to $30M. Then you have to sign our draft picks and any free agents we sign after the draft.

Dom also likes to restructure deals to use up cap space if it's there late in the year, like he did with Nicks and Jackson last year. I wish we'd sign a few more veterens to add depth where we have none, but I'm not worried about cap space. Dom seems to be very good at that aspect of his job.
: March 28, 2013, 07:53:24 AM JDouble

danlowe748

Starter

#10 : March 28, 2013, 07:55:32 AM

I'm not worried about cap space. Dom seems to be very good at that aspect of his job.

How would any of us know if he's any good at it?    He's never even once been anywhere near the cap and he's never fielded a playoff team because of it.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 28, 2013, 08:34:26 AM

I imagine they are leaving a lot of that free for a Revis deal, draft picks, and a possible Mike Williams/Freeman extension. Though if that's the case I seriously question the plan to fill so many holes with rookies.

I think you're right. Revis and Mike Williams will eat a chunk of that up and also our rookies will eat up a few million. I think we need to keep reserves to resign Freeman next year, or at least be able to resign him. Hopefully it's a Joe Flacco situation where he just explodes, I think we have to have room to sign him if that is the case.

As bad as people complain about Freeman being here, imagine he finally breaking out then us not being able to resign him or having to cut other players to sign him because of cap issues? People would go nuts.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 28, 2013, 08:39:32 AM

who do you think we should try to sign?

Eric Winston
And I'd probably still take a shot with Asomugha.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 28, 2013, 08:45:11 AM

im all for picking up eric winston. sure he sounds like buffalo bill when he talks but hes a decent RT and an upgrade over what we have.

threadkiller

Pro Bowler

#14 : March 29, 2013, 12:39:32 AM

If we trade for Revis and resign Mike Williams, which appears to be the plan, that is $20M+ right there. If the Bucs plan on giving them more money up front so they cost less later, it could be closer to $30M. Then you have to sign our draft picks and any free agents we sign after the draft.

If it is 20+ per for those 2 players it would continue the trend of paying above the average for the contracts we do sign.  Would you really be happy with resigning Williams at 6 mil per right now?  That seems like a huge home town bonus to me. 

To answer the OP:  Any of about 30 quality veteran players.  1 DT, 1 TE, 2 CB, 1 DE and then maybe a RT/WR/RB if you can get a good one cheap.  I'd just much, much, much rather see us sign some of these excellent veterans as 1/2 year stop gaps (and then who knows if you get lucky how long they hold up) then watch us run out another 10 UDFA roster fillers on the 53.
: March 29, 2013, 12:51:45 AM threadkiller
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 28.8 M in cap space « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools