Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Mentioned as a Likely Landing Spot for Tavon Austin « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 31, 2013, 12:27:13 AM

2013 NFL Draft: Top Wide Receivers & Where They Might End Up

March 30, 2013      

By Mike Kerns

With a little under one month until the 2013 NFL Draft and the free agency shuffle beginning to settle, team needs and where they might be headed in the draft are becoming more clear. Unlike the draft the past few seasons, this one seems to be wide open. A prospect could be in the top five in one mock and fall out of the top twenty in another. So while I will continue to release my mock draft every Monday leading up until the draft, Ill try to get a better feel for prospects and where they might end up by position rankings. Today we begin with the position of Wide Receiver.

Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee

Arguably the top pass catcher in the draft, Patterson is still considered a bit of a raw athlete. He needs some work on his route running, but his big play potential, not to mention sick skills in the return game, make him a top ten talent in this draft. There are some red flags that might make him fall out of the top ten, but some team that needs a big time receiving threat, preferably with an established number one already, will take the risk on him.

Likely Landing Spots: Buffalo, St. Louis, Pittsburgh

Tavon Austin, West Virginia

About a month ago, some wondered if Austin would even go in the first round. Now there are some who say he might be the first wide receiver off the board. His ability to change directions and just be an all around match up nightmare have the rumor mill already heating up for teams interested in trading up for his talents. Austin looks to be the perfect slot guy for just about any offensive scheme and going anywhere in the top fifteen wouldnt surprise me.

Likely Landing Spots: Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Chicago

Keenan Allen, California

Once thought to be the top wide receiver talent in this draft, being unable to perform at Cal pro day due to a knee and hamstring issue did a blow to his draft stock. Some lucky team in the mid to low 20′s might end up being grateful for that. Given that there isnt some serious medical problem, Allen has all the makings of a true number one option at the next level. While he lacks elite speed, he makes up for in bag play ability. He catches everything in sight and should see significant time as a rookie.

Likely Landing Spots: St. Louis, Minnesota, Houston

DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson

Things were quiet on Hopkins for awhile, now there are whispers of him possibly ending up being the best receiver at the next level out of this entire draft class. Hes not the strongest and he isnt going to break a lot of tackles, but Hopkins always seems to catch the ball in stride and is great in the open field. He has great hands and can be a day one option at the number two receiver position with the ceiling to eventually become a featured wide out.

Likely Landing Spots: Minnesota, Houston, Baltimore

Robert Woods, USC

Woods is another prospect that seems to have a red hot stock as of the moment. However, he has had some lingering injury concerns that have his draft day status still up in the air a bit. Still, his 112 receptions for 1,292 yards and 15 touchdowns as a sophomore are usually the kind of stats to get first round consideration. A great pass catcher that runs polished routes vastly overshadows his lack of size and speed. The nature of his injury is likely to determine where he ultimately is selected.

Likely Landing Spots: New England, Baltimore, Detroit

There are a handful of receivers in this draft that could make an impact as a rookie after the second round with the likes of Quinton Patton, Terrence Williams, Justin Hunter and Markus Wheaton still around. It seems after the first round, anything goes. But more than just the first five listed above going in the first, Id be shocked. There are rarely more than four receivers taken in the first round of any NFL Draft in recent history. However, it has become more of a passing league, so anything could happen come late April.

idliketoproposeatoast

Rookie

#1 : March 31, 2013, 01:42:16 AM

starting to warm up to the idea of austin in the first, still wouldn't be my first choice but i don't think i'd be too upset with it either, the guy is a proven playmaker and as others have said, a chess piece that an OC can move around to create mismatches against defenses...  that said, if they do go with him, i hope they go defense the rest of the entire draft, save for maybe a TE with one of our 6th rounders

TampaBucks05

Pro Bowler
#2 : March 31, 2013, 02:21:52 AM

I have a feeling we will sign DC Jefferson as an undrafted FA.... Possibly using the late round pick on a RB like Bell or Michael
: March 31, 2013, 02:24:19 AM TampaBucks05

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

#3 : March 31, 2013, 02:23:33 AM

We have more important needs than a slot receiver. Would much rather take a rt de DT cb or te

Go Bucs

bashear

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 31, 2013, 03:19:54 AM

We have more important needs than a slot receiver. Would much rather take a rt de DT cb or te
Maybe San Fran would like to move up to our spot for Austin.

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

#5 : March 31, 2013, 03:27:29 AM

Lol moving up from 32 to 13 would cost a **** ton. They aren't that desperate for a wr. Plus someone like Justin Hunter will be there for them @ 32

Go Bucs

bashear

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 31, 2013, 03:32:18 AM

Lol moving up from 32 to 13 would cost a **** ton. They aren't that desperate for a wr. Plus someone like Justin Hunter will be there for them @ 32
They have 14 draft picks. It's not likely, but a guy can dream

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:sf

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 31, 2013, 03:56:58 AM

This is why revis changes what we can do in the draft. If we don't get him we almost HAVE to go CB. if we do, then we can at least entertain the thought of Tavon.

Man, i'd LOVE him here. My heart says yes, and my head says no.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 31, 2013, 04:28:26 AM

No way do we waste a first round pick on a slot receiver. Especially when schiano already has his guy in Underwood, and he already has mw and vj.

I wouldn't exactly be dissapointed, but I think it would be overkill in a position where we could get by with the guys we already have.

Even if they were to use next years first and pick up revis, keeping this years first instead, I would advise against drafting travon.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 31, 2013, 05:20:02 AM

Austin could be used as so much more than a WR. Even as a punt returner the guy can be DEADLY.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 31, 2013, 06:50:56 AM

No way do we waste a first round pick on a slot receiver. Especially when schiano already has his guy in Underwood, and he already has mw and vj.

I wouldn't exactly be dissapointed, but I think it would be overkill in a position where we could get by with the guys we already have.

Even if they were to use next years first and pick up revis, keeping this years first instead, I would advise against drafting travon.
Austin can kill 3 birds with 1 stone. KR/PR/Slot WR. Not to mention the countless other things you can do with him.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : March 31, 2013, 07:22:09 AM

1. Find someone in the AFC who wants Tavon.
2. Trade back and pick up another second,
3. Trade your new first in a deal for Revis.
4. Use your two seconds for cb and te.
5. Move up to grab a de who falls, late second-early third.

In Verner We Trust

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 31, 2013, 07:48:52 AM

No thanks to the midget. If we go slot WR at no.13 I will puke.  Kick returns rarely ever happen in the NFL anymore and he will be squished before mid season. This would be a TedGinnesque draft pick. Freeman would get this kid killed. 

The only reason Wes Welker is Wes Welker is because of Brady and Bellicheat. Welker would be dead already if he was playing with Free and Schiano. He would be Danny Amendola if he played in STL. It's a pipe dream folks. It's Dexter Jackson 1st round version.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 31, 2013, 07:58:30 AM

Wow, Happy Easter to you too, Reap. Lol. But cb or de help makes much more sense.

In Verner We Trust

Buc45

Starter

#14 : March 31, 2013, 09:49:31 AM

Tavon is more than just a slot receiver...He is arguably the top skill position player in this draft.  Picking him would instantly give us the best Bucs offensive lineup in history.  All the draft experts are just raving about the guy.  Would you have called Steve Smith a midget...or did you worry about Warrick Dunn getting killed?  This guy is a rare talent and a matchup nightmare for opposing defensive coordinators...

There is no CB or DE available at #13 that would make the impact on our team as a whole and much as Austin would.  Barring a complete meltdown by Freeman, VJax, MW, Doug Martin and Tavon Austin would just be flat out explosive...  Trufant and Rhodes are good players but big reaches at #13.  Defensive tackle is the biggest bust position in the draft year after year.  I have no problem with the FO rolling the dice on Austin.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Mentioned as a Likely Landing Spot for Tavon Austin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools