Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Mentioned as a Likely Landing Spot for Tavon Austin « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 31, 2013, 09:53:02 AM

My preference is DL or OL because of talent and depth around 13

Austin is elite...  and I'd see the logic and value of picking him.

Can't say I'd be unhappy if the card was put in for this guy. 

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 31, 2013, 10:26:23 AM

No thanks to the midget. If we go slot WR at no.13 I will puke.  Kick returns rarely ever happen in the NFL anymore and he will be squished before mid season. This would be a TedGinnesque draft pick. Freeman would get this kid killed. 

The only reason Wes Welker is Wes Welker is because of Brady and Bellicheat. Welker would be dead already if he was playing with Free and Schiano. He would be Danny Amendola if he played in STL. It's a pipe dream folks. It's Dexter Jackson 1st round version.

That seals it for me. I would love to see you puke. Punt returns are still a huge part of the game. Austin is a tough kid with great hands who is elusive and would bring speed to our receiving corps. He can get behind defenders and then outrun them. We don't anybody right now who can do that. Freeman would push 5,000 yards and 40 TDs with VJax, MW, and Tavon Austin. The Bucs would be a lock for the playoffs no matter who played at CB. No receiver has gone on IR because of a bad throw from Josh Freeman, and Tavon Austin accounted for over 2,900 yards last season alone. I seriously doubt Dexter Jackson did that much in his entire college career.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 31, 2013, 10:39:21 AM

Punt returns aren't a huge part of the game, they are basically meaningless. The difference among all the PR's is mostly accounted for by 1 or 2 big returns per season. The value on returners is inconsistent and less related to what they do and more what the other team doesn't do - stay in their lanes.

You can't just "add" Austin's yards to Freeman's totals (we'll just ignore that Austin is a bad fit with FReeman's "skills") . Freeman was #9 in passing last year unless you want to push him into a range higher than that (and who really does) Austin would need to cannibalize targets from VJax or MW19 because taking all the 3rd WR's carches won't net you much of anything.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#18 : March 31, 2013, 10:45:04 AM

Dexter Jackson played for damn Appalachian State and the highlight of his college career was 92 yards receiving and 2 TD's vs Michigan....that would have been an off game for Tavon Austin. This guy is one of the few ELITE prospects in the draft and would be PERFECT next to V-Jax, Mike Williams and Doug Martin. That group with Freeman in a contract year and our offensive line could potentially be the best offense in the entire league. And if we were to have Revis, Goldson and some other talented rookies and vets with McCoy, David, Barron, Bowers, Clayborn, Foster and Ronde....I wouldn't pick anyone against our team next season.

It seems like more and more analysts are starting to put our pick as Tavon Austin. Seems like they might know something we don't....

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#19 : March 31, 2013, 10:50:17 AM

Wow, Happy Easter to you too, Reap. Lol. But cb or de help makes much more sense.
certain positions are better value so yes I agree with your overall point but I'm not big on drafting to fill holes.  That's what free agency should be used for. 

Hate

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 31, 2013, 10:57:24 AM

No way do we waste a first round pick on a slot receiver.

Many of us don't view him as a waste.... and he's more than just a slot WR.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 31, 2013, 11:06:00 AM

Punt returns aren't a huge part of the game, they are basically meaningless. The difference among all the PR's is mostly accounted for by 1 or 2 big returns per season. The value on returners is inconsistent and less related to what they do and more what the other team doesn't do - stay in their lanes.

You can't just "add" Austin's yards to Freeman's totals (we'll just ignore that Austin is a bad fit with FReeman's "skills") . Freeman was #9 in passing last year unless you want to push him into a range higher than that (and who really does) Austin would need to cannibalize targets from VJax or MW19 because taking all the 3rd WR's carches won't net you much of anything.

Totally disagree on all counts...

You must be accountable for your actions!

bashear

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 31, 2013, 11:06:57 AM

1. Find someone in the AFC who wants Tavon.
2. Trade back and pick up another second,
3. Trade your new first in a deal for Revis.
4. Use your two seconds for cb and te.
5. Move up to grab a de who falls, late second-early third.
I wouldn't be surprised if this has already been discussed by the Jets and the Bucs.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 31, 2013, 11:07:26 AM

How does he compare to CJ Spiller?  Yes I know spiller  is more of a true RB but both are similar types of weapons. 

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 31, 2013, 11:07:34 AM

Wow, Happy Easter to you too, Reap. Lol. But cb or de help makes much more sense.
certain positions are better value so yes I agree with your overall point but I'm not big on drafting to fill holes.  That's what free agency should be used for.

In honor of the Easter holiday, AMEN S & B!

You must be accountable for your actions!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 31, 2013, 11:28:12 AM

Totally disagree on all counts...

People remain insanely fixed on teams.  I assume that silly things like "it is one third of the game" makes them think that is true. Simple reality is that there is almost no consistency among returners year to year and clearly none game to game so the "quality" of your returner is not relevant.  Jacoby jones was a hero in the SB but averaged 9.2 ypr this year and a meager 10 for his career. Even Devin Hester the greatest returner of this generates averaged a scant 12 yor for his career. Josh Cribbs is second best guy by most counts has an 11 ypr average. Parrish was 9.9 this year so the BEST guys gain you 1-2 yards.  The best dudes this year were Leodis McKelvin who never really returned punts before and Dewayne Harris who was a guy who averaged 5 ypr last year.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#26 : March 31, 2013, 12:06:39 PM

That kind of thinking is one of the reasons why the Bucs went so many years without any returns for TDs. The difference between 4,000 and 5,000 yards for Freeman would not just be from Austin. Everybody benefits from having him as an option. They sustain drives longer and each potential receiver gets more opportunities. The defense gets to watch from the sideline more. Who do you double cover when Austin is on the field? VJax has allowed MW to get open more easily. Austin would make it even more difficult for defenders. The Bucs need a dependable speed receiver who can play at any position, even RB. That's what Austin brings to the table. VJax had personal bests last year in ypc, total yardage, and number of receptions. Imagine what he could do if he wasn't double covered most of the time. One of the reasons Drew Brees is so efficient is because he's not depending on just two receivers. He has options he can depend on. Austin has proven to be both prolific and dependable. If you're satisfied with just 4,068 yards and 27 TDs, great, but I'm not. I know the Bucs can and will do better, but I want to see an offense that is feared around the league. We've had great defenses that have ranked among the best in league history. It is time for a great offense in Tampa. Tavon Austin is a special talent, and a step in that direction.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 31, 2013, 12:13:54 PM

That kind of thinking is one of the reasons why the Bucs went so many years without any returns for TDs. The difference between 4,000 and 5,000 yards for Freeman would not just be from Austin. Everybody benefits from having him as an option. They sustain drives longer and each potential receiver gets more opportunities. The defense gets to watch from the sideline more. Who do you double cover when Austin is on the field? VJax has allowed MW to get open more easily. Austin would make it even more difficult for defenders. The Bucs need a dependable speed receiver who can play at any position, even RB. That's what Austin brings to the table. VJax had personal bests last year in ypc, total yardage, and number of receptions. Imagine what he could do if he wasn't double covered most of the time. One of the reasons Drew Brees is so efficient is because he's not depending on just two receivers. He has options he can depend on. Austin has proven to be both prolific and dependable. If you're satisfied with just 4,068 yards and 27 TDs, great, but I'm not. I know the Bucs can and will do better, but I want to see an offense that is feared around the league. We've had great defenses that have ranked among the best in league history. It is time for a great offense in Tampa. Tavon Austin is a special talent, and a step in that direction.

Brees throws to a bunch of guys named "Fred" really other than Graham - and yes I think Colston paired with Freeman is JAG. The problem in our offense isn't a lack of pass catchers, it is on the end of the distributor.  VJax and MW19 work well because their skill set melds with our QB's lack of skill set to produce result. Adding another player won't make Freeman a 5000 yard passer.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 31, 2013, 01:34:35 PM

We have more important needs than a slot receiver. Would much rather take a rt de DT cb or te
Maybe San Fran would like to move up to our spot for Austin.

Lol moving up from 32 to 13 would cost a **** ton. They aren't that desperate for a wr. Plus someone like Justin Hunter will be there for them @ 32
They have 14 draft picks. It's not likely, but a guy can dream

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:sf

There is a lot of chatter that the Rams like him at 16, so a team interested would have to go at least to 15.

zsmith22

Starter

#29 : March 31, 2013, 02:15:43 PM

If we picked Tavon at 13, our offense becomes one of the best in the league. Simple as that. I understand the concern for CB but is there really much of a difference between Rhodes/Trufant and Guys you could get in the second? I don't think there is. Watch Tavon's Senior Highlight tape and you'll want the kid like i do.

Tavon Austin Senior Highlights: 
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Mentioned as a Likely Landing Spot for Tavon Austin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools