Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DE, George Selvie Will Be A Buc « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

spartan

Hall of Famer
#30 : April 01, 2013, 09:22:35 AM

@CommishOnline: The #Bucs have been very busy this weekend as they will sign a DE on Tuesday. #USF fans might be happy. http://t.co/QtIt9paLut

signing george selvie equates to being "very busy"?

For us? Yes.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 01, 2013, 09:34:48 AM

@CommishOnline: The #Bucs have been very busy this weekend as they will sign a DE on Tuesday. #USF fans might be happy. http://t.co/QtIt9paLut

signing george selvie equates to being "very busy"?

For us? Yes.

haha sad but true  ???

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#32 : April 01, 2013, 09:39:05 AM

i like the signing.  i dont expect much out of him, but the potential is there.  clayborn, bowers, te0nesh, morgan and selvie.  i like the camp battle.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 01, 2013, 10:19:32 AM

Landri and Selvie are actully quality depth. Now turn your attention to CB  and the Draft.

Landri yes. Selvie no.

That's what a lot of people said about Bennett when the Bucs plucked him of the waiver wire from Seattle. Selvie is a project but the Bucs have done well in developing undrafted talent in the past.

Why develop em if you don't keep em?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 01, 2013, 10:33:37 AM

The only reason anyone on here is excited about this is because they have some sort of fantasy about Selvie somehow becoming the player he was in 2007. It's all been downhill from there.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#35 : April 01, 2013, 10:36:08 AM

so hopefully you can pay your superstars?

njligernj

Starter
#36 : April 01, 2013, 11:07:49 AM

Why does it seem that the Bucs aren't making the roster better this free agency? Other than the safety position that is.

Dom has already reverted to dumpster diving right in the middle of free agency.

When free agency started I was wondering who we were going to get at DE. Re-sign Bennett?  Freeny? Abraham?  Dumervil was available.......but George Selvie?

Bizzare.  It's the only way to describe it.

It's been that way for a decade now (although the early years were somewhat obscured by "cap hell" post-SB win).

Over the past 10 years or so I believe we have left more money on the table than any other team.

Their pattern seems pretty transparent: one or two big FA splash signings to cover over the fact that they're tens of millions under the cap yet again. Oh and sprinkle in some high profile "near misses" to show they are trying.

Some believe the party line that they'll spend when the time is right; sadly they've failed to steer the team into that time yet. If Josh doesn't have a good year we're back to the drawing board and another 3 years of rebuilding (aka spending no money).

No I don't want to be the Redskins (or at least the Redskins of old wasting lots of money) because money doesn't guarantee success; however being this far under the cap year after year after year pretty much precludes success.

Then we can get into a chicken or egg discussion about how we don't spend because we don't have quality players (and free agency is evil and the draft is pure good). Any way you cut it up, either they are being cheap because of Man U (or just to make more money) or they are being cheap because they have failed for over a decade to put a consistently successful product on the field that warrants big money ... either way the Glazers are failing miserably.

I genuinely don't think we will put out a consistently winning team until the Glazers sell. (Or to put it more accurately I think the chances of success under this regime are very, very low ... like less than 5%.) Hope I'm wrong.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#37 : April 01, 2013, 01:36:34 PM

we have spent the past 2 seasons and it looks as if we will be spenders again this season.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 01, 2013, 01:45:01 PM

The only reason anyone on here is excited about this is because they have some sort of fantasy about Selvie somehow becoming the player he was in 2007. It's all been downhill from there.

Yeah he went bad quickly after his junior season.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 01, 2013, 01:55:04 PM

Yeah he went bad quickly after his junior season.
It was actually his sophomore season.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

flashgordon

Pro Bowler
#40 : April 01, 2013, 02:45:17 PM

I can dream about Selvie now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N1DSccGy4A

Ali Akbar Khan Raga Chandranandan,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CtXORtvvYM

njligernj

Starter
#41 : April 02, 2013, 09:39:20 AM

we have spent the past 2 seasons and it looks as if we will be spenders again this season.

LOL. If we sign two free agents to the biggest deals in NFL history and then fill out the rest of the roster with rookies on league minimum, therefore ending up with the lowest payroll of any team in the league, I bet some people would still say "we have spent money -- two biggest contracts in NFL history!"

As I said in my first message:
Quote from: njligernj
Their pattern seems pretty transparent: one or two big FA splash signings to cover over the fact that they're tens of millions under the cap yet again.

This team has no depth and some glaring holes -- one or two "big splash" free agents doesn't fool me when we end up with a top 5 cap room team yet again. Culverhouse 2.0.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#42 : April 02, 2013, 09:49:33 AM

Landri and Selvie are actully quality depth. Now turn your attention to CB  and the Draft.

Landri yes. Selvie no.

That's what a lot of people said about Bennett when the Bucs plucked him of the waiver wire from Seattle. Selvie is a project but the Bucs have done well in developing undrafted talent in the past.

You'll have to ask Dominik about that. Only thing I can rationalize is that with Bennett shoulder and age the Bucs made a organizational decision to go with the younger Bowers and bring in depth.

Are you going to pay a player that you view as a back-up more than the player you view as your starter?

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#43 : April 02, 2013, 09:53:16 AM

LOL. If we sign two free agents to the biggest deals in NFL history and then fill out the rest of the roster with rookies on league minimum, therefore ending up with the lowest payroll of any team in the league, I bet some people would still say "we have spent money -- two biggest contracts in NFL history!"

As I said in my first message:
Quote from: njligernj
Their pattern seems pretty transparent: one or two big FA splash signings to cover over the fact that they're tens of millions under the cap yet again.

This team has no depth and some glaring holes -- one or two "big splash" free agents doesn't fool me when we end up with a top 5 cap room team yet again. Culverhouse 2.0.

I'm starting to warm to the Bucs approach. The Bucs are being cautious with where they delegate cap money.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#44 : April 02, 2013, 10:31:13 AM

disagree about the holes and depth.  Its an unrealistic argument that too many make imo

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DE, George Selvie Will Be A Buc « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools