Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I'm starting to Warm Up to "THE PLAN". « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
: April 02, 2013, 10:26:23 AM

The more I've sat back and watched the Buccaneers off season moves, the more I'm coming to realize and like the PLAN.

It appears to me that when the Bucs see value and key pieces (Nicks, Jackson and Goldson) they go after them with a vengeance. They are being judicious with the Cap and where it is being spent now and for the Future. That is one reason I feel that the Bucs are refusing to deal the #13 pick for Revis. If the Bucs are willing to give up next years first and second round selections. What does that tell you about next years draft class?

Next year and the year after the Bucs have a few major decisions to make. Accordingly, the Bucs will need the cap space to make those decisions regarding Freeman, McCoy and Donald Penn. Clearly the Bucs feel that Freeman is going to here long term. IMO Freeman isn't going anywhere and will be paid based on his 2013 performance. If he makes the playoffs he's getting at the minimum, Tony Romo type money.

Penn's contract is getting to the point that a restructure/extension will be required. You can flip a coin to which direction the Bucs will go after this season. Penn's situation bears watching in this years draft. This is a Tackle heavy draft and the Bucs might be looking at a long term replacement for Penn in the early rounds. There is a reason the Bucs scouting staff has been evaluating Lane Johnson so heavily. Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher are out of reach. But a trade up scenario isn't out of the realm of possibility for Lane Johnson.

Then there is McCoy. I believe his rookie contact is up after the 14' season. The Bucs will in all likelihood extend his contract after this coming season.

These are just 3 moves in the future that the Bucs will need cap space in order to keep the core of this team together. Even if the Bucs consummate the Revis trade there is still plenty of cap space to wiggle through to keep the Bucs viable in Free Agency for future years and avoid cap hell that other teams endure due to over spending.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#1 : April 02, 2013, 10:37:37 AM

Sounds good. I am not on board giving up next years "first" and "second" for Revis. If it was one or the other yes. I do agree a lot of contract issues have to be be addressed next offseason.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 02, 2013, 10:43:02 AM

Sounds good. I am not on board giving up next years "first" and "second" for Revis. If it was one or the other yes. I do agree a lot of contract issues have to be be addressed next offseason.

I'm right there with you. I've always hated giving up quality picks. Especially when your not close to being a Super Bowl contender.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 02, 2013, 10:51:30 AM

Agree with a lot of that. But Tony Romo doesn't deserve Tony Romo money. Free definitely doesn't deserve it yet unless he explodes this year and leads a deep playoff push. I think a nice decent contract would be in order if he plays above average, but not Romo money.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#4 : April 02, 2013, 10:53:32 AM

Exactly. My thoughts would be different if we made the playoffs the last few seasons.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 02, 2013, 10:55:53 AM

Giving up next year's 1st round pick would handcuff us to Freeman. That pick shouldn't even be on the table.

Draft Aaron Donald

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 02, 2013, 11:01:02 AM

Agree with a lot of that. But Tony Romo doesn't deserve Tony Romo money. Free definitely doesn't deserve it yet unless he explodes this year and leads a deep playoff push. I think a nice decent contract would be in order if he plays above average, but not Romo money.

It's the nature of the NFL unfortunately. If Freeman makes the Playoffs then he's going to demand a 100+ million $ contract.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 02, 2013, 11:05:27 AM

Giving up next year's 1st round pick would handcuff us to Freeman. That pick shouldn't even be on the table.

We are of like mind. But the Bucs are going to do what needs to be done to put fans in the seats. Revis does that IMO. What I fear most in this deal is that the Jets are going to try and include Tebow in this deal.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 02, 2013, 11:48:26 AM

danlowe748. Welcome to my ignore list. You can go visit java and all the rest. Unless you are Java already.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#9 : April 02, 2013, 12:04:07 PM

It's the nature of the NFL unfortunately. If Freeman makes the Playoffs then he's going to demand a 100+ million $ contract.

I don't know man. I see your point, but unless Freeman goes deep in the playoffs, and plays lights out, I would puke if he was signed to a $100 million contract. Even if he does make a deep playoff push we can franchise him to see if he can put 2 years together. If he can play lights out 2 years in a row, pay him $100million. At THIS POINT, with his inconsistencies, I think $100 million would be a bad move.

And I like Freeman. I hope he goes out and earns $100 million. But I just don't think he's done enough to earn it.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 02, 2013, 12:12:06 PM

We are of like mind. But the Bucs are going to do what needs to be done to put fans in the seats. Revis does that IMO. 

What will happen to the current ticket base, let alone adding to it,  if they give away next year's #1 and this time next year  a) we need a starting qB   b) the Jets own our top ten pick ?

: April 02, 2013, 12:14:29 PM Sweep

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 02, 2013, 12:24:14 PM

We are of like mind. But the Bucs are going to do what needs to be done to put fans in the seats. Revis does that IMO. 

What will happen to the current ticket base, let alone adding to it,  if they give away next year's #1 and this time next year  a) we need a starting qB   b) the Jets own our top ten pick ?

It's a crap shoot anyway you look at it IMO. If the Bucs use the #13 pick and the Jets have no other takers for Revis, then who knows what the Jets will take for Revis.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 02, 2013, 12:48:17 PM

Wow...this thread went...better than expected! :)

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 02, 2013, 12:51:56 PM

Wow...this thread went...better than expected! :)

I'm not all Doom and Gloom. LOL. I have lucid moments from time to time.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 02, 2013, 12:55:01 PM

It does cheer me up a tad to read people taking things with an open mind more. :)

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I'm starting to Warm Up to "THE PLAN". « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools