Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tyrann Mathieu works out for Buccaneers « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#45 : April 04, 2013, 03:11:15 PM

Hope he's a buc IF and only IF he has learned his lesson and can keep his head on straight. Not many people change at the age of 22 or 23. At that point, we pretty much are who we are. Not that it can't happen, just not as likely. I don't see real remorse and an honest to goodness thankfulness for his 2nd shot he'll be getting somewhere.

We are who we are @ 23 hahaha. At 23 years old your still a kid, and are far from being an adult. Very few have it figured out at 23

Well at 23 we are adults, young adults but we are full grown adults.. We also have a good idea of the things we enjoy and things we don't enjoy. For the most part we are neurologically mature so unless he learns something different he will eventually be the person that got thrown off the football team in college.

Bull Effing Shiznit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefrontal_cortex

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#46 : April 04, 2013, 03:29:57 PM

Well I guess it was no gamble on Talib then. He's young he can learn, wait, whoopps, turns out he never learned his lesson and will be an idiot until the day he retires. Well maybe when he's 30 and is now more of a headache than he's worth he'll settle down, becuase just like JDub he now is forced by an external force to grow up.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#47 : April 04, 2013, 03:57:15 PM

4th.  He is not worth a 3rd IMO.  Too big a risk.

Definitely not a high 3rd. In the 4th could be, and even then if it's early in the 4th I think there could be some better value players. Mathieu is a guy who you draft and expect to be a great special teamer for the 1st 2 years and hope he can slowly put it together enough mentally to play CB because the physical tools are great. You never draft a guy thinking he's just going to play the slot IMO.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#48 : April 04, 2013, 04:11:03 PM

Well I guess it was no gamble on Talib then. He's young he can learn, wait, whoopps, turns out he never learned his lesson and will be an idiot until the day he retires. Well maybe when he's 30 and is now more of a headache than he's worth he'll settle down, becuase just like JDub he now is forced by an external force to grow up.

Why the sarcastic attitude?

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#49 : April 04, 2013, 04:25:46 PM

The setbacks caused by Talib and Tanard are the very reason our secondary is so depleted yet some of you phreeks want to explain this behavior away by citing age and maturity?
Chilren pleeze!

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#50 : April 04, 2013, 04:55:19 PM

Quote from: 1sparkybuc
After all the crap from Talib, you would think all of the "mature" members of this board would have learned a lesson. He can't defend against tall receivers and he has character issues. Why would anybody want him at any price?

If Mathieu didn't have these character concerns, he would never had been kicked off the team and he'd be drafted in the first round a few weeks from now. The talent is there for us to draft him, I don't care about his height. He [Tyrann Mathieu] himself has said he has a support system in Florida and feels comfortable here. He could be a bonehead, but I'd be happy to see Mark taking some chances. With a first rounder, not a fan of that, probably not a second rounder either, but a 3rd or later... that's when you take your shots. Sometimes they pay off (Mike Williams), sometimes they don't.

Did anyone tell him Tanard isn't here anymore? You're entitled to your opinion but I doubt he would have been drafted in the first round even without the character issues. Stilts aren't on the NFL equipment list. NFCS receivers are just too tall for him. We can't afford to waste a pick on him. We need starters and we need depth, not players with heart, spine, or a past record of repeated drug problems. Tanard and Talib are prime examples of guys who never learn. Enough is enough. Give another team a shot at making that mistake.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#51 : April 04, 2013, 05:02:48 PM

Quote from: BucNY
Well I guess it was no gamble on Talib then. He's young he can learn, wait, whoopps, turns out he never learned his lesson and will be an idiot until the day he retires.
Technically, every draft pick is a gamble. But in terms of character concerns, Aqib Talib (Or Tanard Jackson for that matter) were not gambles coming into their respective draft classes. Both were actually great characters at their schools. Their poor off-the-field decisions seemed to follow their draftings. You can be good and turn bad, or be bad and turn good (Personality). Sometimes it's the individual, sometimes it's the coaching, and other times being with the wrong people. The last corner we drafted in the third round, probably could cover larger receivers just on the basis of their physical stature. They are also a model citizen, coming from a high discipline program (Vanderbilt). I'm of course talking about Myron Lewis.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#52 : April 04, 2013, 06:31:52 PM

Quote from: BucNY
Well I guess it was no gamble on Talib then. He's young he can learn, wait, whoopps, turns out he never learned his lesson and will be an idiot until the day he retires.
Technically, every draft pick is a gamble. But in terms of character concerns, Aqib Talib (Or Tanard Jackson for that matter) were not gambles coming into their respective draft classes. Both were actually great characters at their schools. Their poor off-the-field decisions seemed to follow their draftings. You can be good and turn bad, or be bad and turn good (Personality). Sometimes it's the individual, sometimes it's the coaching, and other times being with the wrong people. The last corner we drafted in the third round, probably could cover larger receivers just on the basis of their physical stature. They are also a model citizen, coming from a high discipline program (Vanderbilt). I'm of course talking about Myron Lewis.

Everytime someone uses the words "cornerback" and "Buccaneers" in the same sentence (or any variation thereof), the first person that jumps in my mind is Myron Lewis. I think it's pretty safe to say that no other man has epitomized the position of cornerback for this Franchise like Myron Lewis. Honestly, the majority of the time it's hard for me to remember any other players we've had at that position (outside of maybe Will Allen or Torrie Cox).

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#53 : April 04, 2013, 07:45:25 PM

Well again....I'm not even a fan of the Honey Badger, but to write a kid off because he smoked a lot of pot when he was 18/19 years old, well it is pretty damn stupid.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#54 : April 04, 2013, 08:09:21 PM

Well again....I'm not even a fan of the Honey Badger, but to write a kid off because he smoked a lot of pot when he was 18/19 years old, well it is pretty damn stupid.

Pot really isn't the issue here. The fact of the matter is priorities. There's no love for the game. There's no consideration of his team. No concern for his school or his family, forget about the educational opportunity wasted. The only thing he cared about was himself and getting high. That's pretty damn stupid. The only thing worse is seeing a roster spot wasted and repeating the stupidity by repeating the mistake. Smoking pot is one thing. Not caring is another.

We're not talking second chances here. He's had those and it didn't work. I'm not willing to piss away the Bucs' D on the chance that this punk has grown up enough to care.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#55 : April 04, 2013, 08:33:26 PM

...and again, he was 18/19 years old when this stuff happened. Most teenagers are self absorbed and irresponsible. He may very well end up being a d-bag his entire life, but writing him off over stuff he does as a teenager is redonkulous.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#56 : April 04, 2013, 08:39:36 PM

Pot really isn't the issue here. The fact of the matter is priorities. There's no love for the game. There's no consideration of his team. No concern for his school or his family, forget about the educational opportunity wasted. The only thing he cared about was himself and getting high. That's pretty damn stupid. The only thing worse is seeing a roster spot wasted and repeating the stupidity by repeating the mistake. Smoking pot is one thing. Not caring is another.

We're not talking second chances here. He's had those and it didn't work. I'm not willing to piss away the Bucs' D on the chance that this punk has grown up enough to care.

So glad we didn't have this attitude when Mike Williams was still on the board in the 4th round about 3 years ago....

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#57 : April 04, 2013, 08:40:34 PM

...and again, he was 18/19 years old when this stuff happened. Most teenagers are self absorbed and irresponsible. He may very well end up being a d-bag his entire life, but writing him off over stuff he does as a teenager is redonkulous.

Couldn't agree more.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#58 : April 04, 2013, 08:49:45 PM

Comparing the Badger to Talib doesn't fly.  No one is talking about taking the dude in the first round.  Big difference between taking a HUGE gamble on a guy in the first, and taking a small risk on a guy in the 4th or whatever.  If he didn't pan out, you give him his walking papers, and you chalk it up to a blown 4th round pick.  Blowing first round picks is a totally different argument.  And can be fatal in some cases.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#59 : April 04, 2013, 09:21:37 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Yes.  Agreed.   I'd go as far as all teenagers are of that same mold.   (I have had four of 'em..)

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tyrann Mathieu works out for Buccaneers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools