Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Free Agency Grades....... Buccaneers get a C- « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: April 04, 2013, 12:06:37 AM

NFL Free Agency Grades: Buccaneers get a C-

By Sander Philipse

on Apr 3 2013, 1:00p

Tim Heitman-US PRESSWIRE

The Buccaneers have sneakily been very active in free agency this season. Their big signing was Dashon Goldson, but they've added a slew of smaller free agents. Or what I like to call: cheap labor and depth. Jonathan Casillas, Tom Crabtree, George Selvie (presumably), Derek Landri and Kevin Ogletree are all decent, cheap additions to round out the depth chart.

And yet, in fans' minds this is all overshadowed by the fact that the cornerback situation remains unchanged. And rightly so: the Bucs' biggest need going into the offseason was at cornerback, and they've done nothing so far to address it. In fact, they let their second-best cornerback E.J. Biggers walk in free agency, while the rhetoric about releasing Eric Wright continues. The Bucs need bodies at cornerback, and they haven't added a single one. Which is why I gave them a C- last month, which is the exact same grade ESPN's Matt Williamson (Insider content) gives them.

Key additions: S Dashon Goldson, LB Jonathan Casillas, T Demar Dotson (re-signed), RB LeGarrette Blount (re-signed), TE Tom Crabtree

Key losses: DE Michael Bennett, DT Roy Miller, CB E.J. Biggers, T Jeremy Trueblood

Analysis: The Bucs improved at outside linebacker with the signing of Casillas and by a great margin by signing Goldson, but losing Bennett really hurts. And with less of a pass rush and weak cornerbacks, including the loss of Biggers to the Redskins, the Bucs' biggest weakness from a year ago (their pass defense) might even be worse now than when the season ended. There isn't a lot to report here, but landing Darrelle Revis at the right price could greatly change the fortunes of this franchise, and Tampa Bay still has plenty of money to spend, although a big chunk of that could be going to Revis.

Grade: C-

I can't argue with a single sentence, but it's worth keeping the final remark in mind. Revis would change everything. And that trade still seems inevitable.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/4/3/4171048/nfl-free-agency-grades-buccaneers-get-a-c

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 04, 2013, 09:00:12 AM

This is a fair grade frankly on what I have seen.

Smith, Crabree, Casillas, Selvie, and Landri are worth a look and address depth (I would argue the Bucs are overpaying for Landri).  Olgetree is pretty much a miss from my view and I would be disappointed if he makes the team.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 04, 2013, 09:25:33 AM

Fair grade considering they are (apparently) banking on/putting all their chips in on a Revis trade.

As the article says, that "inevitable" trade changes everything.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 04, 2013, 09:37:58 AM

Outside of Goldson and maybe Crabtree the Bucs have done little to improve the Defense. That grade will go up IF they consummate the Revis Trade. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 04, 2013, 09:40:12 AM

It is incomplete.

And signing Brian Leonard pushes that to a B. :)

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 04, 2013, 09:44:52 AM

Outside of Goldson and maybe Crabtree the Bucs have done little to improve the Defense. That grade will go up IF they consummate the Revis Trade.

I can see that point of view.

Casillas to me may have more experience than Cutrera but he isn't all that much better.  If Casillas is about to displace Najee Goode from the roster that I would consider good news though.  Assuming Landry addition and Bennet loss is a push the Bucs are looking at only Goldshon as the sole upgrade thus far and that is worrisome. I don't see Selvie displacing Teo as the third DE and he may not even make it as the fourth DE.  Landry is pretty much a pass rush speicalist so Gibson is pretty much the penciled in starter unless stated otherwise and that should raise some concerns.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#6 : April 04, 2013, 10:18:10 AM

Goldson, REVIS, Landri, Ogletree/Smith, Casillas, Crabtree. I would've been thrilled with that haul before FA started. Just sayin

Goldson38

Rookie
#7 : April 04, 2013, 10:56:58 AM

There's an entire 2nd round of fee agency post draft. Plus a Revis addition possibly, if that happens of argue no one in the league added better players. Two all- pros, who else did that

Madman

Hall of Famer

#8 : April 04, 2013, 11:52:54 AM

Don't sleep on Landri! Eagles fans tell me the guy can play.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 04, 2013, 01:42:59 PM

Don't sleep on Landri! Eagles fans tell me the guy can play.

I am sure Joe Jurevicius will be glad to hear that...

You must be accountable for your actions!

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 04, 2013, 05:27:53 PM

It is incomplete.

And signing Brian Leonard pushes that to a B. :)

Leonard is a quality signing. I also think the Bucs will sign a veteran free agent CB even if they do (or do plan on) trade for Revis. Sheldon Brown is a guy I'm keeping an eye on, and to a lesser extent Winfield.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#11 : April 04, 2013, 05:53:18 PM

The FA moves have been mostly for depth. These guys are grading on splash signings. Our roster is nowhere near complete.
I'll give both authors a grade...D.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL Free Agency Grades....... Buccaneers get a C- « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools