Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The OTHER option at Cornerback « previous next »
Page: 1 2

JDouble

Hall of Famer
: April 05, 2013, 08:27:35 PM

Robert Alford - 2nd or 3rd round prospect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eizRYTuUnfc

DJ Hayden - 2nd or 3rd round prospect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV5rMIonne0

Leon McFadden - 3rd or 4th round prospect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab3nKER5Lls

Sander Commings - 5th or 6th round prospect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRAItrkzwDA

AJ Bouye - 7th round or undrafted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRAgr1OcNRs

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 05, 2013, 08:35:19 PM

McFadden played all zone. I don't think that he is a good idea. Ryan actually played more man coverage but he is like a Leonard Johnson type and lacks speed.

I am on mobile so I can't watch half of the videos.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

LeoTPP

Practice Squad

#2 : April 05, 2013, 08:42:21 PM

Alford, Poyer, and Banks are all non-first round guys that I'd like to see in Tampa Bay. I like Commings as well. Think there's plenty of good options.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 05, 2013, 09:13:52 PM

I like Commings, he's big and physical and has good coverage skills. He did beat up his gf though so I don't think he's a Buccaneer man, but there wouldn't be many better ways to spend a 6th round pick.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 05, 2013, 11:54:48 PM

McFadden played all zone.

False. Watch his games on youtube. He plays a lot of man and looks really good doing it. It doesn't show up on his highlights much because when he is playing man coverage, he was rarely thrown at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7XB2txZm9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Mpjag2NrY

I really think guys like these, especially McFadden and Hayden....have the potential to end up being the best CBs from this draft. If we ended up spending a 2nd and 3rd to get Hayden and McFadden, I'd be very happy with our secondary. I'd much rather do that than use a 1st on Rhodes or Trufant.

: April 05, 2013, 11:59:02 PM JDouble

big_JLB

Starter

#5 : April 06, 2013, 10:49:54 AM

JOSH JOHNSON - PURDUE

the kid has experience playing on an island and is a real solid run defender. would be a great pick in the 5th-6th IMO

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 06, 2013, 10:56:33 AM

Hayden is the one whose stock has been rising, right?

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 06, 2013, 11:39:50 AM

If DJ Hayden clears the medical question then he could be the steal of the CB class. He reminds me of another Hayden that plays in Cleveland.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 06, 2013, 02:14:16 PM

I hope you seriously don't think drafting several day 2-3 CBs to be our starters is a sound plan. 

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 06, 2013, 02:16:52 PM

I hope you seriously don't think drafting several day 2-3 CBs to be our starters is a sound plan.

Obviously not as a #1 CB, but some of those prospects up there aren't any worse than Wright, Gorrer, Myron Lewis and the rest of the trash pile we currently have going at CB.  Ideally we would pick up a #2 CB in the early rounds, and then pick up another prospect in the mid-late rounds that we could develop.
: April 06, 2013, 02:18:36 PM lyronmewis

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 06, 2013, 03:14:10 PM

That is precisely jdouble's plan . Look at his horrible Mock Draft.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 06, 2013, 03:32:32 PM

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think the Bucs are as down on the current CBs as the fans are. Obviously, this is total speculation, but I suspect that they know the CBs were put in a terribly difficult position last season and realize that there need to be schematic changes to give them a better chance to succeed.

I think that's part of the reason that Ronde Barber talked about how they'd play a more conservative style, more like the Falcons game at the end of the season.

[Ronde] implies that the Bucs will see a lot more of how the Buccaneers played in Atlanta at the end of the season. "It can't all be that way. It's just too hard."

I suspect that he was told that in discussion of the team's plans for him should he return.

"Not a lot of teams in this league play that type of defense for a reason. For the reason that it exposes your corners. You're basically playing with half a safety in the box -- kind of in kind of out -- and it's great in the run game, which obviously showed. But teams can definitely pick out their matchup, and if you don't win on the outside it looks pretty bad."

There's obviously some concern about the quality of the CBs seeing as how they're trying to bring in Revis, but I think that's because Revis is such a great CB and he'd essentially be replacing Wright. I think the Bucs go CB in rounds 2 & 3 and go into the season with the current CBs and a couple of rookies plus some veterans that get cut between now and September.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 06, 2013, 03:37:02 PM

JOSH JOHNSON - PURDUE

the kid has experience playing on an island and is a real solid run defender. would be a great pick in the 5th-6th IMO

Josh Johnson would be a nice pick.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 06, 2013, 07:24:09 PM

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think the Bucs are as down on the current CBs as the fans are. Obviously, this is total speculation, but I suspect that they know the CBs were put in a terribly difficult position last season and realize that there need to be schematic changes to give them a better chance to succeed.

I think that's part of the reason that Ronde Barber talked about how they'd play a more conservative style, more like the Falcons game at the end of the season.

[Ronde] implies that the Bucs will see a lot more of how the Buccaneers played in Atlanta at the end of the season. "It can't all be that way. It's just too hard."

I suspect that he was told that in discussion of the team's plans for him should he return.

"Not a lot of teams in this league play that type of defense for a reason. For the reason that it exposes your corners. You're basically playing with half a safety in the box -- kind of in kind of out -- and it's great in the run game, which obviously showed. But teams can definitely pick out their matchup, and if you don't win on the outside it looks pretty bad."

There's obviously some concern about the quality of the CBs seeing as how they're trying to bring in Revis, but I think that's because Revis is such a great CB and he'd essentially be replacing Wright. I think the Bucs go CB in rounds 2 & 3 and go into the season with the current CBs and a couple of rookies plus some veterans that get cut between now and September.

It will be interesting to see if Schiano attempts to fix the scheme. If they think that Goldson is going to make this defense successful, they are mistaken. Whoever plays the deep safety position is going to look terrible unless they fix the scheme. That is what Ronde left out of that statement. The defense puts a lot of pressure on the CB's and the deep safety.

The scheme as it is will not work. I said during the year last year that even with Revis at CB this defense won't work. Not unless you have 4 pro bowlers in the secondary.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

gone

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 06, 2013, 08:32:59 PM

I've been making the point in bold for a while now.

It will be interesting to see if Schiano attempts to fix the scheme. If they think that Goldson is going to make this defense successful, they are mistaken. Whoever plays the deep safety position is going to look terrible unless they fix the scheme. That is what Ronde left out of that statement. The defense puts a lot of pressure on the CB's and the deep safety.

The scheme as it is will not work. I said during the year last year that even with Revis at CB this defense won't work. Not unless you have 4 pro bowlers in the secondary.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see them only make minor changes to the scheme.  It looks like they felt Cooper was a big reason for the failure (And I agree with their assessment of them).  Unfortunately, I also agree the scheme needs a ton of work, but what really needs to change is the philosophy of the defense, the "stop the run" crapola.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The OTHER option at Cornerback « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools