Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gholston visiting Buccaneers today « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : April 07, 2013, 12:16:08 AM »

Sources: Michigan State DL William Gholston visiting Buccaneers today

by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, April 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm ET

William Gholston Profile

Michigan State junior defensive end William Gholston is visiting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers today, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

Gholston has excellent size at 6-foot-6, 281 pounds.

At the NFL scouting combine, Gholston ran the 40-yard dash in 4.93 seconds and bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times. He registered a 9-2 broad jump, a 28 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 4.59 20-yard short shuttle and a 7.20 three-cone drill.

Gholston has run the 40-yard dash in the 4.8 range on the Michigan State campus.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper projects Gholston as a third-round to fourth-round draft target primarily as a 3-4 defensive end prospect.

“To fit a 3-4 type of scheme for the defensive end and hold his own at the line of scrimmage against the run," Kiper said in a conference call this week. "But in that scheme with his size and his ability to hold the point, to me, third,fourth round for Gholston.”

Gholston is a Detroit native who overcame a rough upbringing to emerge as a blue-chip recruit at Detroit Southeast, recording 27 sacks as a senior.

Two seasons ago, Gholston was a second-team All-Big Ten Conference selection with 70 tackles, 16 for losses and five sacks.

In an Outback Bowl victory over Georgia, Gholston had five tackles for loss and two sacks.

Last season, Gholston had 59 tackles, 13 for losses, 10 pass deflections and 4 1/2 sacks.

He declared for the draft with one remaining season of eligibility to attend to his responsibilities as a new father.

Gholston was informed by an NFL Draft Advisory Board that he could go anywhere between the third round and fourth round.

Gholston has drawn comparisons to Indianapolis Colts veteran defenive end Cory Redding, but is bigger than that established NFL starter.

"Will Gholston anchors a defensive line that helped Michigan State rank No. 1 in the Big Ten against the run," Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said last season. "He's an active player who adds a physical presence at the point of attack."

For more coverage of the NFL, go to profootball.scout.com.

Buc45

Starter

« #1 : April 07, 2013, 12:38:29 AM »

I really like this guy...but...and I know this is stupid, but the connection to his big-time bust brother scares me.   I am convinced we are going to take an OLB pass-rushing type to play the SLB.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : April 07, 2013, 03:42:09 AM »

I really like this guy...but...and I know this is stupid, but the connection to his big-time bust brother scares me.   I am convinced we are going to take an OLB pass-rushing type to play the SLB.

This dude is more of a 3-4 guy, is he not?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #3 : April 07, 2013, 11:44:09 AM »

meh ill pass

this guy oozes potential but is a lazy bum. why he entered the draft this year i dont know. he had a very pedestrian year at michigan state last year. i might be ok if we take him in the 5th or later. hes really more of a  3-4 end anyway. he should be a double digit sack player but hes not and he has a very questionable work ethic

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #4 : April 07, 2013, 11:47:57 AM »

Keep seeing this 3-4 flavor...

Hoist the Battleflag

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #5 : April 07, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »

I don't know anything about him but why should he be a more productive pass rusher?  Based on his combine numbers he doesn't have elite athletisim. 

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #6 : April 07, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »

I don't know anything about him but why should he be a more productive pass rusher?  Based on his combine numbers he doesn't have elite athletisim.

exactly my issue with him. his work ethic is what holds him back. hes got the tools neccessary to be great but just never does anything with them

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #7 : April 07, 2013, 12:00:43 PM »

I think you misunderstood my point.  I question whether he has great potential.  Those numbers like a 4.9 40 or a 28 inch vertical or a 23 bench are pretty pedestrian.  Maybe he is living up to his potential and its just not very good. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #8 : April 07, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »

I also find it funny that the article states he overcome a rough environment growing up but his brother got rich years ago. 

SoberInSac

Second String

« #9 : April 07, 2013, 12:37:01 PM »

His brother is going to hurt his draft stock. It may be unfair but that the way it goes.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #10 : April 07, 2013, 02:38:51 PM »

I think you misunderstood my point.  I question whether he has great potential.  Those numbers like a 4.9 40 or a 28 inch vertical or a 23 bench are pretty pedestrian.  Maybe he is living up to his potential and its just not very good.

People may expect more out of him because he has good measurables.     6-7   280

High school all-american twice

All Big Ten team twice

Like the guy said, good tools, will he apply himself to the best he can be?   Who knows.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gholston visiting Buccaneers today « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools