Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cowboys get ready for the Tampa 2 without the Tampa 2. « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : April 10, 2013, 12:33:07 AM »

Kiffin, Marinelli face challenge in Dallas

By Ira Kaufman

Published: April 6, 2013

TAMPA -

After a seven-year absence, the firm of Kiffin & Marinelli is back in business.

During their decade together in Tampa, defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin and defensive line coach Rod Marinelli forged an impressive résumé, highlighted by the 2002 championship season. Now, they're back together in Big D, where the Cowboys are hoping their version of the Cover 2 can work effectively deep in the heart of Texas.

Some say the NFL is a young man's game, but that maxim will be tested this fall. Kiffin is 73 and Marinelli turns 64 shortly before the Cowboys open training camp.

Since they parted company, Marinelli and Kiffin have found mixed success.

Marinelli left the Bucs in 2006 to become the head coach in Detroit, where he won 10 games in three years, capped by an 0-16 slate that left the Lions with little choice but to fire him. When Bears head coach Lovie Smith reached out in 2009, Marinelli was eager to rejoin a former Bucs assistant and close friend.

After one year as defensive line coach, Marinelli assumed defensive coordinator responsibilities in Chicago and the Bears led the NFL with 44 takeaways last season. After Smith was dismissed, Marinelli had an opportunity to remain on the staff of new coach Marc Trestman, but he declined, citing his loyalty to Smith.

Loyalty is a key word in Marinelli's vocabulary. He embraces old-school values, choosing to take on a lesser role in Dallas (defensive line), rather than a coordinator job in Chicago.

The chance to reunite with Kiffin was also alluring.

With the Bucs off to a 9-3 start in 2008, Kiffin told Tampa Bay players he was leaving after the season to join his son, Lane, at Tennessee.

That announcement triggered a four-game slide that cost coach Jon Gruden his job as Tampa Bay failed to make the playoffs. The relationship between Kiffin and Gruden hasn't been the same since that epic collapse, and Kiffin's defense wasn't particularly stout once he followed Lane to Tennessee and then Southern California.

Now, he's back where he belongs, breaking down NFL attacks and looking for the right personnel to carry out his frenzied commands.

His impact in Dallas is already obvious.

The Cowboys will be switching to the 4-3 defense Kiffin and Marinelli crafted so successfully in Tampa. DeMarcus Ware, a seven-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker, is being asked to make the transition to defensive end.

If he listens to Marinelli, Ware will be just fine.

While Kiffin and Marinelli retain their passion for football, it's what they haven't retained that will make things challenging this fall.

When the Cowboys open camp, Warren Sapp won't be collapsing the pocket for Marinelli. The master of the 3-technique will be polishing up his induction speech for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Instead of implementing Kiffin's defensive game plan with poise and precision, linebacker Derrick Brooks is perched behind a desk as president of the Tampa Bay Storm.

Long retired, savvy safety John Lynch is in Denver, awaiting his assignments for Fox's NFL broadcasts this fall.

After forcing only 16 turnovers last year, the 2013 Cowboys have a lot of room for improvement. Dynamic defensive schemes are nice, but Hall of Fame players are better.

When you've got Sapp and Brooks imposing their wills every Sunday, it's not a bad idea to just get out of their way. Unfortunately for Dallas fans, Sapp and Brooks aren't available to bring those sketches to life.

In other words, get ready for the Tampa 2 without the Tampa 2.

GayRobot

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Starter

« #1 : April 10, 2013, 12:39:19 AM »

It just blows my mind how angry people got with Kiffin for announcing he was leaving the following season to coach with his son... People move around in the NFL like crazy I have no idea why this was such a big ordeal. I just don't get the anger...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : April 10, 2013, 02:06:59 AM »

It just blows my mind how angry people got with Kiffin for announcing he was leaving the following season to coach with his son... People move around in the NFL like crazy I have no idea why this was such a big ordeal. I just don't get the anger...

I guess some feel he could of waited until after the season, to make the announcement.

Ware will be fine, but I don't think they have the tackles to make it work.  It will be interesting to see how they fare.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #3 : April 10, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »

i dont see that defense working out very well.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #4 : April 10, 2013, 10:29:59 AM »

Quote from: GameTime

Hard to disagree.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
« #5 : April 10, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »

Quote from: GameTime

Hard to disagree.

They'll be good. They were one of the top defenses last year in a 3-4. No reason taking Rob Ryan's crazy ass out of the equation and being more conservative when you have some really good pass rushers should equate to a good defense getting bad.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #6 : April 10, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »

They'll be good. They were one of the top defenses last year in a 3-4. No reason taking Rob Ryan's crazy ass out of the equation and being more conservative when you have some really good pass rushers should equate to a good defense getting bad.

how often did ware and spencer rush for a 3 point stance?  is monte gonna have claiborne/carr in zone or man?  is bruce carter the real deal?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JM2

Pro Bowler

« #7 : April 10, 2013, 10:50:59 AM »

I imagine they will struggle initially but as they bring in the right players, and people get used to the system, it will be fine. I will be surprised if they are in the top half of the league year one.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #8 : April 10, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »

I guess some feel he could of waited until after the season, to make the announcement.

Ware will be fine, but I don't think they have the tackles to make it work.  It will be interesting to see how they fare.

Someone else "volunteered" that announcement, IIRC

Hoist the Battleflag

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
« #9 : April 10, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »

how often did ware and spencer rush for a 3 point stance?  is monte gonna have claiborne/carr in zone or man? is bruce carter the real deal?

Yea he is.  Watched him a lot in college.  I know that doesn't always transfer but he looks the part and has the ability. 

bucs449

Hall of Famer

« #10 : April 10, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »

If they can get a good Mike and be able to move their best LB, Sean Lee, to WILL, then I think they will do a good job. The problem is Carr is getting paid way too much to be a cloud corner. Plus now they have that #5 pick Claiborne as a cloud guy also. I could see them moving Carr in a year or two if the scheme works out. They definitely need some safety help though.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cowboys get ready for the Tampa 2 without the Tampa 2. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools