Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Michael Clay « previous next »
Page: 1 2

JDouble

Hall of Famer
: April 15, 2013, 08:40:56 AM

So last year we drafted a linebacker who slipped because he was considered under sized, but he had great instincts, tackling, and game speed. It worked out really well for us. Lavonte David was outstanding as a rookie and should continue to be great for us for a very long time.

This year there are a few linebackers in the draft that have the same sorta thing going for them. I don't believe any of them are as good as David, but they are good none the less. Many folks like Kaseem Greene, who was a safety and has questionable size. He looks like a solid prospect, but my money is on Oregon's linebacker Michael Clay.

Clay is listed at 6ft (5'11 5/8" at his pro day) and played college ball at the 215lbs-220lbs range. At his proday he was considerably bigger and weighed in at a solid 230lbs. It was noted on many sites how fluid he looked at his proday, so I don't think the extra bulk has effected his ability to play. So he is a bit undersized, but the kid shows great instincts, tackling fundamentals, and coverage ability. Dion Jordan was the main pass rusher in the Oregan defense, but when used to blitz, Clay showed outstanding closing speed. Despite being undersized, his perfect tackling allowed him to be great verse the run in college, even verse running backs bigger than him.

Clay will probably be drafted between the 5th and 7th round. I think he could be a steal late in the draft. He'd provide great depth at weakside linebacker, as well as middle linebacker. I beleive he could even challenge Foster for the starting role in the middle, especially in Nickel formation. David and Clay would provide a very fast and efficient duo for the nickel package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjWHNECUKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Dg2UGCtCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzqAc8_kLfU

Draft Aaron Donald

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#1 : April 15, 2013, 10:59:59 AM

I like the logic and you can afford to roll the dice (RB Robert Smith?) with a late pic given the upside. David's case was a little different though as he was on the radar as a third rounder.
Seems like we have lot's of bodies to potentially start on the strong side that do little to impress.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 15, 2013, 12:02:09 PM

Don't know much about Clay, will have to check out the videos.
Not sure if anyone has brought up Chase Thomas from Stanford, 6'3 244lbs.  His skill set is simliar to Jarvis Jones, seven and half sacks this year 27 for his college carreer..  If he slips to the 4th round I hope we take him.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 15, 2013, 12:09:52 PM

Names too close to Clayton. No thanks...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 28, 2013, 08:09:07 AM

Bump.

This kid was released by the Dolphins. Would really like us to sign him!

Draft Aaron Donald

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 28, 2013, 08:19:05 AM

I saw the subject line and started having a recurring nightmare...

BucsWin31

Starter

#6 : August 28, 2013, 09:33:37 AM

lmao

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 28, 2013, 09:56:49 AM

Just like I wouldn't want to draft a player named Regis Benn, Maryon Lewis, or Jamarc Russell

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 28, 2013, 09:57:38 AM

I guess we did draft a Gholston

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 28, 2013, 10:02:42 AM

I don't give a sh!t if his name is Harry Dong Stroker. The kid can play and I hope we sign him.

Draft Aaron Donald

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 28, 2013, 01:30:29 PM

Well how did he look in preseason? Not closing the book on him but I'd want to know how he looked on the field.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 28, 2013, 01:56:23 PM

Well how did he look in preseason? Not closing the book on him but I'd want to know how he looked on the field.

He barely played for the 'Phins this preseason.  Tough to get any kind of read.

Bucfucious

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 28, 2013, 02:16:10 PM

"Barely played" tells you quite a bit.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 28, 2013, 02:32:19 PM

"Barely played" tells you quite a bit.

Tells you nothing except they had 10 linebackers and are a young team. It's hard to get everyone a lot of touches in preseason, especially when the 3rd game is almost all starters. He had two preseason games and played a small amount late in the games....just like 1000 other guys. Doesn't mean he sucks. 

Plus, every other linebacker on the Dolphins roster is big. They are all about 6'2" 250lbs....so chances are Clay was just not a good fit for their defense because he is undersized at 5'11" 233lbs.

Our defense however can use a quick, undersized sure tackler with natural instincts.
: August 28, 2013, 02:33:58 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 28, 2013, 02:33:48 PM

Bump.

This kid was released by the Dolphins. Would really like us to sign him!

I thought the Jets were the ones who released Spann?
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Michael Clay « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools