Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The long term is approaching for Dominik. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : April 16, 2013, 12:26:02 AM »

Today in NFC South history

April, 15, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

On this date in 2010, Tampa Bay general manager Mark Dominik sat down for a pre-draft chat with the local media.

All around the league, those sessions are as generic as possible. General managers aren’t going to tell you who they’re going to draft and they only speak in vague terms. But Dominik did say one thing of note that day.

“If this draft doesn’t succeed, I won’t either," Dominik said.

I think Dominik was talking about the long term and the long term is approaching for Dominik. He’s been Tampa Bay’s general manager since 2009 and the Bucs haven’t made the playoffs. I wouldn’t say he’s on the hot seat right now, but he could get there if this season doesn’t go well.

And Dominik’s 2010 statement is ringing true. He needs a good season from the class of 2010. He also could use some help from the players from the 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013 drafts.

But he was talking about the class of 2010 that day, so let’s stick with that. That class included Gerald McCoy, Brian Price, Arrelious Benn, Myron Lewis, Mike Williams, Brent Bowden, Cody Grimm, Dekoda Watson and Erik Lorig.

Six of those nine players are still with the team, which isn’t a bad ratio. But Price and Benn were second-round picks and they’re no longer with the team, which doesn’t reflect well.

McCoy and Williams have become very good players. Lorig, who was drafted as a defensive end, has turned out to be a solid fullback. Lewis, Grimm and Watson are role players at best.

Dominik’s statement rings more true today than it did three years ago. He needs a big year from the class of 2010 to succeed.

He needs McCoy to have another Pro Bowl year (and stay healthy). He needs Williams to turn in another big year opposite Vincent Jackson. And he needs Lorig to keep clearing the way for tailback Doug Martin. It wouldn’t hurt if Lewis, Grimm and Watson can’t contribute a little.

As I said before, Dominik also could use some help from his other draft classes. But if the class of 2010 succeeds this year, Dominik also has a good chance at success.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #1 : April 16, 2013, 12:41:20 AM »

Oversimplification, but obviously if Gmac and MW have bad seasons, Dom may be cooked. More significantly, the pass defense must at least be credible. Another year like last and he should be shown the door.

In Verner We Trust

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #2 : April 16, 2013, 06:21:51 AM »

Playoffs or bust.

0-5 if we don't make em in '13.

No way should any GM keep his job.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #3 : April 16, 2013, 08:30:33 AM »

Playoffs or bust.

That's just dumb.

To blame an 0-5 run soley on the GM is just dumb and the fact that Morris got fired and Dom stayed shows it's not correct. In fact the Dom/Shciano combo may have put together a franchise changing draft and FA period last year.

You literally cannot fire dom after the year he had last year.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #4 : April 16, 2013, 08:35:08 AM »

To blame an 0-5 run soley on the GM is just dumb and the fact that Morris got fired and Dom stayed shows it's not correct. In fact the Dom/Shciano combo may have put together a franchise changing draft and FA period last year.

I don't think you can blame anyone else for the amount of draft picks which haven't panned out...or else what's accountability for?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #5 : April 16, 2013, 08:38:24 AM »

If his plan fails to improve the pass defense he should definitely be on the hot seat. 

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
« #6 : April 16, 2013, 08:40:40 AM »

I don't think you can blame anyone else for the amount of draft picks which haven't panned out...or else what's accountability for?

Hate to break it to you but every single draft pick is not going to work out....and Dom's draft record is certainly better than Gru/Allen. However, I do agree with the sentiment that this is a MUST PLAYOFFS year for Dominik. If the Bucs fail to reach the playoffs again, Dominik is done and Schiano will be on notice (I don't think they'd fire him and leave 3 years on his contract).

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #7 : April 16, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »

Playoffs or bust.

That's just dumb.

Bruce Allen was fired after five total seasons, three winning seasons, and two playoff appearances. Why shouldn't Dominik be held to the same standard as the guy he replaced?
« : April 16, 2013, 09:01:01 AM Feel Real Good »

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #8 : April 16, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »

I don't think Dom's drafts are heads and shoulders above Allen's.  he has had a lot of premium picks and only one guy is left from 2009 and being its Freeman that might not even be good.  2010 has two good players but being one was the 3rd pick in the draft he should be good.  The 2 2nd round busts and the 3rd round busts is disturbing.  2011 has yielded 3 starters who are basically just guys. 

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #9 : April 16, 2013, 09:11:16 AM »

Hate to break it to you but every single draft pick is not going to work out....and Dom's draft record is certainly better than Gru/Allen. However, I do agree with the sentiment that this is a MUST PLAYOFFS year for Dominik. If the Bucs fail to reach the playoffs again, Dominik is done and Schiano will be on notice (I don't think they'd fire him and leave 3 years on his contract).

Not expecting all draft picks to work out but if you check his track record, you'll find the following:

2009 draft picks: only Josh Freeman and Sammie Stroughter remain on roster
2010 draft picks: Gerald McCoy, Myron Lewis(!), Mike Williams,Cody Grimm, Dekoda Watson and Erik Lorig remain on roster - only McCoy and Williams have had any substantial positive impact.
2011 draft picks: Clayborn, Bowers, Mason Foster, Stocker, Ahmad Black and Anthony Gaitor remain on roster - definitely an upward trend on hit/miss ratio but still missing "breakout" players...it's still early so that can change but so far we're relying on cautious optimism rather than results.
2012 draft picks: Mark Barron, Doug Martin and Levonte David...and "4 other guys". 3 "breakout" players from this draft...great results.

What I take from this is that he's improved his draft strategy to get impact guys (this falls in line with the Revis courtship as well) and could very well be evidence that THE PLAN has been severely altered. He's missed on many picks (especially earlier in his tenure) and seems to have changed philosophy in order to play catch up. If he's able to haul in Revis while maintaining the ability to secure more breakout/impact draft picks then he should keep his job...but if not....he should be a TV analyst next season.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #10 : April 16, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »

IMO the only way Dominik loses his job is if the team doesn't improve upon their 7-9 record last year. The Glazers put the handcuffs on Dominik in the years leading up to the Lockout season. The Glazer boys won't hold that against Dominik.

Now if we pull off a double digit losing season then Dominik might be on the hot seat then. At that point we might be looking at Mike Tannebaum, Scott Pioli or Butch Davis as our new GM.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #11 : April 16, 2013, 09:20:54 AM »

The Glazers put the handcuffs on Dominik in the years leading up to the Lockout season.

I missed this story...feel free to provide a link...thanks.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #12 : April 16, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »

2012 draft picks: Mark Barron, Doug Martin and Levonte David...and "4 other guys". 3 "breakout" players from this draft...great results.

Slow down on the 2012 draft. I was an advocate of drafting Barron this time last year but he was highly disappointing. Looked lost and didn't play fast. Martin was fantastic but the cons of taking a 1st round RB are injuries and longevity. The jury is still out on the pick. David is a productive 4-3 LB which is pretty much irrelevant in today's NFL.
« : April 16, 2013, 09:28:06 AM JC5100 »

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #13 : April 16, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »

Slow down on the 2012 draft. I was an advocate of drafting Barron was the beginning but he was highly disappointing. Looked lost and didn't play fast. Martin was fantastic but the cons of taking a 1st round RB are injuries and longevity. The jury is still out on the pick. David is a productive 4-3 LB which is pretty much irrelevant in today's NFL.

Clearly we have a difference in opinion on those points because I think Barron will be a great player despite the pressure of being drafted as highly as he was. Adding Goldson beside him will help a great deal as well...

I'm not sure how Martin pick wasn't a home run but hey we all have opinions...concerns about injuries and longevity are premature since he played the entire season.

David was leading the defensive huddle in his first season so my instinct tells me he's not only physically gifted but also a leader and student of the game...very relevant in my opinion.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
« #14 : April 16, 2013, 09:29:30 AM »

Slow down on the 2012 draft. I was an advocate of drafting Barron this time last year but he was highly disappointing. Looked lost and didn't play fast. Martin was fantastic but the cons of taking a 1st round RB are injuries and longevity. The jury is still out on the pick. David is a productive 4-3 LB which is pretty much irrelevant in today's NFL.

I wasn't disagreeing all that much until you called Lavonte David irrelevant....which in my opinion made your entire post irrelevant.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The long term is approaching for Dominik. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools