Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think Tavon Austin is most similar to? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : April 18, 2013, 12:01:36 AM »

Who is Tavon Austin similar to? We ask the scouts.

Dan Pompei

National Football Post

April 17, 2013, 05:30 AM EST..

Tavon Austin, from the looks of it, will be drafted somewhere in the middle of the first round. He could be the first offensive skill position player taken, not including quarterbacks.

This is absolutely fascinating because, at 5-9, 174 pounds, he does not fit the profile of a first round draft pick, let alone the first offensive skill position player in the draft.

So I asked a number of front office men who they see when they evaluate Austin. These are the responses I heard:

*Santana Moss. This may be the best comparison, but Moss is an inch taller and about 15 pounds heavier. They have similar playing styles, though, and Moss was the sixteenth pick of the first round. He has not been a dominant NFL wide receiver, but he has had four 1,000 yard receiving seasons and made it to one Pro Bowl. “He moves a little like him,” one front office man said.

Moss has been a durable NFL receiver despite his size. Scouts are concerned that Austin will not be able to hold up under a heavy workload, but he didn’t miss a game at West Virginia, and scouting legend has it he never even missed a practice.

*Randall Cobb. The Packers receiver is built more like Moss than Austin, but it’s not a bad comparison. “Cobb has some of the same balance, start-stop ability and acceleration that Austin does,” a scout added. That ability makes both players dangerous in the slot.

*DeSean Jackson. They have similar dimensions, but different playing styles. Jackson, who was a second round pick, is 5-10, 175. One scout said Austin relies more on quickness, change of direction, instincts and body control; Jackson relies more on pure speed.

*Wes Welker. He is 5-9, 185, so he is a little thicker and stronger. Welker and Austin are alike in that they both have explosive quickness. Austin has more speed.

*Antwaan Randle El. Like the rest of these players, he is a little bigger than Austin at 5-10, 185. But Randle El wasn’t quite as electric. “Austin is a better Antwaan Randle El,” one team exec said. “He’s that kind of athlete though.”

*Steve Smith. They both are 5-9, but Smith is 10 pounds heavier and has a very different playing style, relying much more on his surprising strength. “He is a little like Steve Smith in that he is small but still can do a lot of things,” one scout said. “He can play all the spots and return.”

Perhaps Austin is none of those players.

Perhaps he is Russell Wilson—a player who had it all but prototype size.

Said one high ranking exec, “If you can get over his height, you’ll have a player.”

Dan Pompei covers pro football for the Chicago Tribune at chicagotribune.com.
« : April 18, 2013, 01:14:51 AM michael89156 »

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : April 18, 2013, 02:29:33 AM »

Said one high ranking exec, “If you can get over his height, you’ll have a player.”

I can't get over it, so pass. This dude could be that guy that sits in the green room, the whole night.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

« #2 : April 18, 2013, 02:49:10 AM »

Except that he won't. Austin won't get past 16

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : April 18, 2013, 02:58:24 AM »

Except that he won't. Austin won't get past 16

Nice player and all, but I wouldn't gamble the #13 on him. Dude is a smurf for sure.  Now if your talking 2nd, 3rd round, I wouldn't be opposed.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

spurzo

Second String

« #4 : April 18, 2013, 03:45:22 AM »

I can't get over it, so pass. This dude could be that guy that sits in the green room, the whole night.

I'd say that'll be Eric Reid or Lacy

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #5 : April 18, 2013, 11:17:45 AM »

Tavon Austin - WR - Player

Sources tell CBS Sports that the Jets will look "long and hard" at West Virginia WR Tavon Austin.
As the top-rated playmaker in the draft, Austin's stock is hot. Still, the Jets would be reaching at No. 9 for a position at which they actually have some depth. Last year's second-round pick Stephen Hill projects to take a step forward, Santonio Holmes' foot should be healed and Jeremy Kerley showed some chops when pressed into No. 1 wideout duties last year.
Related: Jets
Source: CBS Sports

Dominik specialized in acquiring talented players who were bad fits for his coaches. - FootballOutsiders

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #6 : April 18, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »

Better version of Welker

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #7 : April 18, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »

In the NFL, he's going to end up a gimmick player, ST ace, or a small RB like Dunn. Too small of a target for big pass plays, but maybe good enough for designed YAC.

That, or broken if he lets those NFL LBers hit him.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #8 : April 18, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »

In the NFL, he's going to end up a gimmick player, ST ace, or a small RB like Dunn. Too small of a target for big pass plays, but maybe good enough for designed YAC.

That, or broken if he lets those NFL LBers hit him.

thats what im afraid of.  he could certainly be productive if put in the right offense...but i think its a pretty narrow window. 

put austin as a slot WR for the pats and a slot WR for the Bucs and i think he has 2 completely different careers.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Mic

Starter

« #9 : April 18, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »

Freeman doesn't utilize his slot wr that well, he doesn't have that precision passing on his short routes, doesn't have his receivers catch in stride on those short drags and doesn't throw bubble screens that well, a big 6'5 TE that can go up and get the ball is more beneficial to Free considering he would be easier to utilize.

If it was any other qb I would be more comfortable picking Austin knowing his production wouldn't be hindered by Free's inaccuracy on short routes.

Im not against picking Austin cause I know this guy's gonna be a playmaker slot receivers with this kind of talent is closest thing to a sure playmaker considering its easy as pie to draw up a bubble screen and just let him make magic.

He'll be dangerous on any offense just don't believe he'll be as good with Free because I have never seen him throw bubble screens/drags with consistency that hits guys in stride.

LuckyLarry

Pro Bowler

« #10 : April 18, 2013, 12:35:18 PM »

Tavon Austin most reminds me of one of the Gator greats - Jacquez Green.   To see the comparison, check out Green's highlights starting at 1 minute into this video.   

Native Buc

Pro Bowler

« #11 : April 18, 2013, 12:41:27 PM »

His build and size reminds me a lot of Steve Smith, however I think Tavon is a little bit faster and quicker. Plus he can play running back quite well which gives him some more attributes then Smith.
« : April 18, 2013, 12:44:37 PM Native Buc »

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #12 : April 18, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »

Austin reminds me of Vince Young and  Dallas CB Clairborn.
All scored 7 on the Wonderlik.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #13 : April 18, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »

Austin reminds me of Vince Young and  Dallas CB Clairborn.
All scored 7 on the Wonderlik.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #14 : April 18, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »

If Claiborne scored a four, and continually plays like he did last season, the wonderlic means nothing.

A guy like tavon, you don't worry about smarts, you worry how long his little body can handle NFL life and how fast he can get to point b, from point a.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think Tavon Austin is most similar to? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools