Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think Tavon Austin is most similar to? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #15 : April 18, 2013, 03:36:51 PM »

There was a guy that played in the preseason for the Bucs a few years ago. Small guy that could cut on a dime. Pretty much only used as a PR/KR in the preseason. Can't remember his name.

To me, I'd rank Tavon along the lines of Reggie Bush, Garrett Wolfe, Clifton Smith, Percy Harvin, Dexter McCluster, Noel Devine. Small guys whose main attribute is speed and shiftiness. And im not sayin all of those guys are the exact same, but thats the mold i see Austin.

Everyone in the NFL is fast. I just don't like spending a first rounder on a slot WR who isn't going to be leaps and bounds faster than everyone else on the field. Like Anti-Java said - I'd love to draft him in round 2. But he'll never make it there.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #16 : April 18, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »

There was a guy that played in the preseason for the Bucs a few years ago. Small guy that could cut on a dime. Pretty much only used as a PR/KR in the preseason. Can't remember his name.

To me, I'd rank Tavon along the lines of Reggie Bush, Garrett Wolfe, Clifton Smith, Percy Harvin, Dexter McCluster, Noel Devine. Small guys whose main attribute is speed and shiftiness. And im not sayin all of those guys are the exact same, but thats the mold i see Austin.

Everyone in the NFL is fast. I just don't like spending a first rounder on a slot WR who isn't going to be leaps and bounds faster than everyone else on the field. Like Anti-Java said - I'd love to draft him in round 2. But he'll never make it there.

Those guys you mentioned are all bigger than Tavon.   I don't think people realize what a smurf he is.

Hell, Reggie Bush looks like a small guy on the field.   And the truth is,  Reggie has  4 inches and 30 pounds on Tavon.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bucinsouthFL

Starter

« #17 : April 18, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »

Like a previous poster says, it really depends on the system he is in. It really depends on if Sully sees something in the guy and thinks he can work him into the offense, heck, for a first round pick, you need to eventually BUILD the offense around his guy. I think in today's NFL...a guy like Austin is deadly. In our offense, he can be pretty nasty. Jackson demands double coverage, and Mike picks apart single coverage...Austin can be a match up nightmare. But if we draft him in the first, he needs to line up at KR/PR, Slot WR, and take some plays at RB. I really would not mind the pick. The guy is going to be an electric play maker in this league. But to warrant a first he needs to be on the field a heck of a alot. 

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #18 : April 18, 2013, 10:20:53 PM »

Tavon Austin - WR - Player

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport "hears" the Vikings want to trade up in the draft and could be eyeing West Virginia WR Tavon Austin or Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson.
The Vikings have two first-round picks -- No. 23 and 25 overall. Rapoport thinks it's doubtful Minnesota would trade both, and he'd "bet" the Vikings keep the 25th pick. The Chargers are mentioned as a team wanting to move back from the No. 11 slot if one of the top three offensive tackles don't fall to them, so there could be a match. Austin is looking like a sure top-15 pick next week.
Related: Vikings, Cordarrelle Patterson, Chargers
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

=========================

Wish we could find a way to make this trade...
« : April 18, 2013, 10:58:24 PM CalicoJack55 »

Dominik specialized in acquiring talented players who were bad fits for his coaches. - FootballOutsiders

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

« #19 : April 18, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »

similar then everyone else not on this team.. they wont draft him guys.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #20 : April 18, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »

Like a previous poster says, it really depends on the system he is in. It really depends on if Sully sees something in the guy and thinks he can work him into the offense, heck, for a first round pick, you need to eventually BUILD the offense around his guy. I think in today's NFL...a guy like Austin is deadly. In our offense, he can be pretty nasty. Jackson demands double coverage, and Mike picks apart single coverage...Austin can be a match up nightmare. But if we draft him in the first, he needs to line up at KR/PR, Slot WR, and take some plays at RB. I really would not mind the pick. The guy is going to be an electric play maker in this league. But to warrant a first he needs to be on the field a heck of a alot.

No denying slot is important.  On a related note, Demaryius Thomas was asked if he was worried about Wes Welker joining the Broncs? He said hell no, with Welker drawing coverage,  he won't be double teamed anymore.

So a good slot guy is important no doubt.   But I don't think Tavon is the right guy.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

« #21 : April 18, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »

Austin reminds me of Vince Young and  Dallas CB Clairborn.
All scored 7 on the Wonderlik.

What did Tebow score? or Ryan Fitzpatrick? A.J Green scored a 10.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #22 : April 18, 2013, 11:42:10 PM »

DeSean Jackson clone to a T. His build is nowhere near as solid as Steve Smith. Bailey is much more like Steve Smith.
« : April 18, 2013, 11:47:08 PM JDouble »

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

« #23 : April 18, 2013, 11:50:26 PM »

Except Bailey is considerably slower than Austin. They don't even compare

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

« #24 : April 18, 2013, 11:52:18 PM »

Everyone in the NFL is fast.

Everyone except players on the Bucs. We sorely lack speed in our offense

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
« #25 : April 18, 2013, 11:57:43 PM »

COBB: Tayvon Austin (TA) isn't as big, but is at least as explosive and definitely faster. I know Cobb is basically as versatile, more so as a passing option, but less so as a straight up RB.

D-JAX (the good one): Most similar based strictly upon size. But, TA has more long speed and equal-to-superior short area burst. TA routes and overall development as a WR coming out of WVU is lower than DJAX coming out.

STEVE SMITH: I don't think Smith's versatility is in the same league as TA. Better WR though.

MOSS: Not nearly as explosive or versatile, just happens to be about the same size.

In my small mind TA will change an offense, even ours. You just find touches, and it will pay off. I'd be pumped if end with him.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #26 : April 19, 2013, 12:03:56 AM »

Those guys you mentioned are all bigger than Tavon.  I don't think people realize what a smurf he is.

Hell, Reggie Bush looks like a small guy on the field.   And the truth is,  Reggie has  4 inches and 30 pounds on Tavon.

I think you might be taking it too far in the other direction. I am of the belief that he will put on a few pounds once the season starts and will be at least 180...and as far as height goes...he is a half and inch shorter than Welker. Sure....he is a midget compared to Calvin Johnson....but whether it is with the Bucs or not....Tavon Austin will be a playmaker in the NFL. Smurf is a little unfair. By height/proportions he is about the same size as(or very close to) DeSean Jackson, Lance Moore, Randall Cobb, T.Y. Hilton, Jeremy Kerley, Percy Harvin, Andrew Hawkins and Wes Welker. All those guys are less than 2 inches taller than Austin, and once Austin gets into a NFL workout program, he will be in the 180's just like most of the guys just named.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #27 : April 19, 2013, 02:28:10 AM »

Those guys you mentioned are all bigger than Tavon.  I don't think people realize what a smurf he is.

I think you might be taking it too far in the other direction. I am of the belief that he will put on a few pounds once the season starts and will be at least 180...and as far as height goes...he is a half and inch shorter than Welker. Sure....he is a midget compared to Calvin Johnson....but whether it is with the Bucs or not....Tavon Austin will be a playmaker in the NFL. Smurf is a little unfair. By height/proportions he is about the same size as(or very close to) DeSean Jackson, Lance Moore, Randall Cobb, T.Y. Hilton, Jeremy Kerley, Percy Harvin, Andrew Hawkins and Wes Welker. All those guys are less than 2 inches taller than Austin, and once Austin gets into a NFL workout program, he will be in the 180's just like most of the guys just named.

This is what Tavon will look like meeting his new teammates after the draft.

Working alongside Governor Chris Christie, Shaquille O’Neal is looking to slow down the rate of gun violence in his home state.

A 6-5, 295 pound J.J. Watt takes a picture with Yao Ming, and Watt looks like a middle schooler next to him

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #28 : April 19, 2013, 07:18:03 AM »

Except Bailey is considerably slower than Austin. They don't even compare

Except I didn't compare Bailey to Austin.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #29 : April 19, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »

Freeman doesn't utilize his slot wr that well, he doesn't have that precision passing on his short routes, doesn't have his receivers catch in stride on those short drags and doesn't throw bubble screens that well, a big 6'5 TE that can go up and get the ball is more beneficial to Free considering he would be easier to utilize.

If it was any other qb I would be more comfortable picking Austin knowing his production wouldn't be hindered by Free's inaccuracy on short routes.

Im not against picking Austin cause I know this guy's gonna be a playmaker slot receivers with this kind of talent is closest thing to a sure playmaker considering its easy as pie to draw up a bubble screen and just let him make magic.

He'll be dangerous on any offense just don't believe he'll be as good with Free because I have never seen him throw bubble screens/drags with consistency that hits guys in stride.

To be fair he has not ever had a good slot. I do tend to agree that a big TE would be more beneficial but we forced the ball to our outside WR last year because our slot wasn't real good.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who do you think Tavon Austin is most similar to? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools