Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Prisco.."Even with Revis, the Bucs are the third team at best in their division" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : April 23, 2013, 12:40:04 AM »

Pete Prisco
Senior NFL Columnist

Bucs taking major risk with Revis

April 21, 2013 3:17 pm ET

Darrelle Revis missed 13 games after tearing an ACL last season. (USATSI)

The pending Darrelle Revis trade from the New York Jets to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers can be reduced to this: young, healthy, cheap, inexperienced but talented vs. older, super talented, wildly expensive and injured.

I know which way I would lean.

The Bucs leaned the other way.

Tampa Bay is sending the 13th pick in the first round of this week's draft -- the young talent -- plus a conditional fourth-round pick (probably a third) in 2014 for the rights to sign Revis. They also signed him to a deal that will pay him $16 million a year for this season and for the next five. All this for a guy who turns 28 in July and is coming off ACL surgery.

Are you kidding me?

When I asked five general managers if they would make the deal, they all replied with an emphatic no. They pointed at the risk of paying and trading to get a player coming off an ACL. Revis is in Tampa Sunday to take a physical, but a doctor's check of a knee won't tell them if he can plant and cut and do the things corners need to do.

"You have to trust your doctors," one Tampa Bay source said.

When healthy, Revis is special. But he's not healthy. No matter how the spin doctors -- see agents -- spin it, they can't for certain say he will be the same player.

He might be -- but no guarantee.

If Revis becomes a shutdown corner again, the Bucs will have a nice secondary with safeties Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron and fellow corner Eric Wright. But the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Cary Williams and Corey Graham starting at the corners.

It's a passing-pass rush league.

That's why even with Revis the Bucs will go nowhere if quarterback Josh Freeman and young defensive ends Da'Quan Bowers and Adrian Clayborn -- also coming off an ACL -- don't improve.

I just don't like the idea of paying and giving up picks for a guy coming off an ACL. Medicine has improved a ton, and Adrian Peterson showed you could come back, but there are other guys who have struggled to come back from ACL injuries.

The Bucs should have held on to the No. 13 pick and taken a corner, maybe Xavier Rhodes from Florida State or Desmond Trufant of D.J. Hayden. That would have been cheap labor for a while.

That's what this trade boils down to for Tampa Bay: Revis vs. a young corner. For the Jets, it means they are getting rid of a player who could leave with no compensation next year, a player seemingly always unhappy with his contract. Oh, and he's also coming off a torn ACL.

So it's a win for the Jets -- who are in rebuilding mode.

Even with Revis, the Bucs are the third team at best in their division. Is it worth it?

Bradspace

Pro Bowler

« #1 : April 23, 2013, 12:46:56 AM »

He writes fairly well for a man with his head up his own **CENSORED**.

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

« #2 : April 23, 2013, 12:52:29 AM »

Is it worth adding a Darrelle Revis to the leagues worst pass D that was an even average pass D away from making the playoffs last year..a team that already has a solid young nucleus already? absolutely.

Third best team in the division? With the saints getting Payton back we certainly could be. Revis improves our chances to make the playoffs dramatically though.

Go Bucs

snesfreak

Second String

« #3 : April 23, 2013, 12:56:26 AM »

Prisco.. "I'm a **CENSORED**ing moron"

spurzo

Second String

« #4 : April 23, 2013, 01:37:02 AM »

Pete Prisco may well be the worst profressional football writer in North America.  Of course I don't like his stance in this case but his whole deal is being a contrarian, essentially professional troll.  He was tweeting about how much he hated the move and a ton of other football writers jumped all over him for being a moron, some actually told him (their colleague) to shut up.  Pretty rare in the profession and absolutely hilarious.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : April 23, 2013, 02:08:44 AM »

The guy is a d-o-o-s-h.

Draft expert fired for publishing several inaccurate mock drafts

April 23, 2010.

CBSsports.com writer Pete Prisco was fired by the website today for publishing a series of mock drafts in the weeks leading up to the NFL Draft that turned out to be fraught with errors.“We hold our writers to a high standard and Pete’s recent work was wildly inaccurate,” said CBSsports.com managing editor Dave Dambrow. “I mean, more than half of his last mock draft turned out to be wrong. More than half! And Jimmy Clausen to the 49ers? The guy didn’t even go in the first round. That’s just terrible. We’re journalists. Our readers expect facts from us.”Prisco said he is sorry for the inaccuracy of his mock drafts, but stressed to management that he did his best to get it right. "I’ve been publishing a new mock draft approximately every seven hours since February,” said Prisco. “I’ve done 1,329 mock drafts in that time. I’m sure that one of those in there somewhere along the way was pretty close to being right. It's basic statistics."

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

« #6 : April 23, 2013, 02:23:26 AM »

Pete Prisco
Senior NFL Columnist

The pending Darrelle Revis trade from the New York Jets to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers can be reduced to this: young, healthy, cheap, inexperienced but talented vs. older, super talented, wildly expensive and injured.

Tampa Bay is sending the 13th pick in the first round of this week's draft -- the young talent -- plus a conditional fourth-round pick (probably a third) in 2014 for the rights to sign Revis. They also signed him to a deal that will pay him $16 million a year for this season and for the next five. All this for a guy who turns 28 in July and is coming off ACL surgery.

Are you kidding me?

When I asked five general managers if they would make the deal, they all replied with an emphatic no. They pointed at the risk of paying and trading to get a player coming off an ACL. Revis is in Tampa Sunday to take a physical, but a doctor's check of a knee won't tell them if he can plant and cut and do the things corners need to do.

When healthy, Revis is special. But he's not healthy. No matter how the spin doctors -- see agents -- spin it, they can't for certain say he will be the same player.

If Revis becomes a shutdown corner again, the Bucs will have a nice secondary with safeties Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron and fellow corner Eric Wright. But the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Cary Williams and Corey Graham starting at the corners.

That's why even with Revis the Bucs will go nowhere if quarterback Josh Freeman and young defensive ends Da'Quan Bowers and Adrian Clayborn -- also coming off an ACL -- don't improve.

I just don't like the idea of paying and giving up picks for a guy coming off an ACL. Medicine has improved a ton, and Adrian Peterson showed you could come back, but there are other guys who have struggled to come back from ACL injuries.

The Bucs should have held on to the No. 13 pick and taken a corner, maybe Xavier Rhodes from Florida State or Desmond Trufant of D.J. Hayden. That would have been cheap labor for a while.

That's what this trade boils down to for Tampa Bay: Revis vs. a young corner. For the Jets, it means they are getting rid of a player who could leave with no compensation next year, a player seemingly always unhappy with his contract. Oh, and he's also coming off a torn ACL.

Even with Revis, the Bucs are the third team at best in their division. Is it worth it?

And your point is exactly?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #7 : April 23, 2013, 02:29:33 AM »

Pete Prisco
Senior NFL Columnist

Are you kidding me?

And your point is exactly?

He worked in Jacksonville for awhile.  Might be some Buc hate going on.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : April 23, 2013, 02:32:57 AM »

The Bucs may finish third .... Or they may win the NFC South. The latter is too horrible for Pete to contemplate.

In Verner We Trust

gone

Hall of Famer
« #9 : April 23, 2013, 05:01:59 AM »

There's an impressive amount of butthurt here for only one page.

Pewter Pirate

Pro Bowler
« #10 : April 23, 2013, 06:58:13 AM »

The guy is a d-o-o-s-h.

Draft expert fired for publishing several inaccurate mock drafts

April 23, 2010.

CBSsports.com writer Pete Prisco was fired by the website today for publishing a series of mock drafts in the weeks leading up to the NFL Draft that turned out to be fraught with errors.“We hold our writers to a high standard and Pete’s recent work was wildly inaccurate,” said CBSsports.com managing editor Dave Dambrow. “I mean, more than half of his last mock draft turned out to be wrong. More than half! And Jimmy Clausen to the 49ers? The guy didn’t even go in the first round. That’s just terrible. We’re journalists. Our readers expect facts from us.”Prisco said he is sorry for the inaccuracy of his mock drafts, but stressed to management that he did his best to get it right. "I’ve been publishing a new mock draft approximately every seven hours since February,” said Prisco. “I’ve done 1,329 mock drafts in that time. I’m sure that one of those in there somewhere along the way was pretty close to being right. It's basic statistics."

In other words Prisco is always wrong, and the Revis trade is right

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #11 : April 23, 2013, 07:10:56 AM »

3rd best in the division ?? We shall see , dooosh bag , we shall see. 

Can we start the season now please ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #12 : April 23, 2013, 07:15:01 AM »

LOL; didn't know a bad mock could get a guy fired; good find!
     "Even with Revis, the Bucs are the third team at best in their division" was a poor choice of words. "Even with Revis, the Bucs may still be the third team at best in their division" would at least not be debatable at this point.
     My response to him would be: "At least with Revis we'll be in the conversation as a contender this year. Schiano is NOT a patient man. There is ALWAYS risk of injury to ANY player in the NFL. The Bucs are betting it won't happen again to Revis. IMO,not a bad bet at all"...

gotheem11

Rookie

« #13 : April 23, 2013, 07:16:02 AM »

This guy is ridiculous , our division is so competitive each year that you can't really decide who is second best, obviously the falcons are the top team as of now but we did sweep Carolina and beat atl once, we lost to NO once because of our secondary and then again because freeman was throwing pop flies

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #14 : April 23, 2013, 07:26:30 AM »

He could be right.

Brees has won big games. Payton is back. They will be tough.

ATL is a good team. Not an elite one. Their playoff performances are proof.

Carolina is an enigma. They might be a team to reckon with, or a lackluster group. And paying Johnson 17 mil this year?  WTF?!

Bucs lack depth, and the QB is wishy washy with a lot of deficiencies that get exploited, in his game. And a few injuries here an there and it is adios. But I sure as heck can't wait. I like the Bucs chances of winning 11 games.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Prisco.."Even with Revis, the Bucs are the third team at best in their division" « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools