Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: if martin goes down , what is the plan? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

youngone

Hall of Famer
#75 : April 30, 2013, 09:27:39 AM

My opinion if going by the players we currently have: RB by committee if that happens..

We have a grinder/receiver: Mike James

Speedster: Micheal Smith

Utility player: Leonard 

No one can expect a single #2 RB to replace Doug Martin, unless he's a Ben Tate or someone like that.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#76 : April 30, 2013, 09:49:50 AM

I think it's very clear that the Bucs really like Mike Smith.  The writing is on the wall whether you like it or not, agree or disagree.  If not, they would have maybe had RB as a higher priority, draft wise, don't ya think?

They drafted a guy who doesn't do anything great, but does everything good.  A selfless back who will/is willing to do w/e is best for the team.  But who knows, this guy could turn out to be something awesome.  Hell, even if, at best, he's just another Earnest Graham or Kevin Faulk type...he will most definitely be worth it and will prove to be very valuable...nothing great but extremely reliable...

They brought in another guy who the coach trusts from past experiences.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#77 : April 30, 2013, 10:09:10 AM

Whether its V-Jax, Freeman, GMC, Martin, and possibly LVD and Revis...the answer is the same.

You play what you have got available, but the hard truth would that losing any one of those guys will be a major setback and will most likely limit the potential of success in 2013.

Essentially, if Martin goes down, then we are probably f**ked. Sure, there is the slight possibility that the backups come in and do a commendable job, but we are going to need Martin healthy to make a playoff/title run.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#78 : April 30, 2013, 10:16:06 AM

Whether its V-Jax, Freeman, GMC, Martin, and possibly LVD and Revis...the answer is the same.

You play what you have got available, but the hard truth would that losing any one of those guys will be a major setback and will most likely limit the potential of success in 2013.

Essentially, if Martin goes down, then we are probably f**ked. Sure, there is the slight possibility that the backups come in and do a commendable job, but we are going to need Martin healthy to make a playoff/title run.

Well said...

You try your best to get some good to decent depth and sometimes those guys surprise you and come from no where, but depth is depth for the most part.

Your starters and stars are just that and just that for a reason.  You can't replace them if they go down.  Sometimes you do get lucky, though.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#79 : April 30, 2013, 10:24:42 AM

It's impossible to afford "quality" backups at every position. As soon as one develops and is paid his due, another at a different position would sign a contract somewhere else.
     We now have better OVERALL depth than we've had in a really long time; maybe the best we've ever had.
RBs can be found and developed in FA, which apparently is our plan. As of now, holdover Michael Smith will be competing with UDFA's Orwin Smith and Akeem Shavers, draftee Mike James, and vet Brian Leonard. A nice mix, actually...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#80 : April 30, 2013, 10:41:33 AM

There is no plan. Welcome to a world without Blount. I hope those who support Schaino's move don't lose any sleep the day Martin goes down.
this is downright hilarious.
Nobody is saying you have to have two amazing RBs on the roster, but you do need a solid, dependable, and preferably proven #2. Especially when you are a run first team like Schiano wants us to be. If we go into the season with out one, then we are stupid and deserve what we get.
most people who have watched mike james play describe him as solid and dependable.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#81 : April 30, 2013, 10:46:00 AM

If Arian Foster goes down, what's Houston's plan?

Uhh...Ben Tate? Who is probably better than half the leagues starting RB.

Ravens have Bernard Pierce. Looked really good last year.

Redskins have Keiland Williams. An Earnest Graham clone.

Vikings only have Toby Gerhart, so they are almost as bad off as we are.

ben tate is far from dependable...hes been injured his entire career.  keiland williams?  you gotta be kidding me.  might as well mention chad spann.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

flaitguy

Starter
#82 : April 30, 2013, 10:56:51 AM

I think Mike James will get it.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#83 : May 03, 2013, 09:41:19 AM

Mark Dominik just said on 98.7 the fan, that Mike James and Brian Leonard will be primarily the guys if/when Doug comes out.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#84 : May 03, 2013, 09:48:01 AM

Mark Dominik just said on 98.7 the fan, that Mike James and Brian Leonard will be primarily the guys if/when Doug comes out.

WTF????  ???

BucD

Hall of Famer

#85 : May 03, 2013, 10:28:40 AM

@HolderStephen:
During interview w @CommishOnline #Bucs GM Dominik repeatedly mentions Mike James as having inside track as No. RB behind Doug Martin #Canes

I am really rooting for the kid.

Would to see him be what Kevin Faulk was to/for BB, to/for Schiano.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#86 : May 03, 2013, 02:45:57 PM

mike james should be a fine backup. hes not doug martin but what team has 2 guys of that caliber?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#87 : May 03, 2013, 03:55:22 PM

I can name plenty of teams that have better RB groups than the Bucs.  The Bucs pretty much threw in the towel when it came to the running back position this off season.  One my friends is a Vikings fan and he told me this quip: "Bucs FO must to want an early round of golf by trading up for an undrafted RB like James".  Hahahahaha.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#88 : May 03, 2013, 03:57:39 PM

If hes the "Graham type" and really is a talented selfless player like that then Im perfectly fine with that as our back up running back.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#89 : May 03, 2013, 03:57:40 PM

Cool story bro
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: if martin goes down , what is the plan? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools