Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We dont need to waste draft picks on.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

acacius

Hall of Famer

#30 : April 24, 2013, 10:46:48 AM

Marcus Lattimore.
I think Lattimore is going to go far higher than I personally would be comfortable taking him.  Individual knee injuries like Revis' don't worry me too much, but Lattimore's history is so bad that I wouldn't want to do more than take a late-round flier on him.  I"m guessing he gets taken relatively high regardless.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#31 : April 24, 2013, 12:54:00 PM

I think for the most part, Dom has covered any glaring weakness in our starting 22 players and while I'll concede that some positions could still be upgraded, the positions are mostly devalued in the offensive/defensive scheme's that we used in the past. So now what the coaching staff should be saying to themselves is 'okay, who covers the position if player x goes out with an injury'? For example, who becomes our #1 wide receiver if Jackson goes down with a injury and is lost all season? What if that's McCoy? or Martin? or Penn or Penn and Dotson?

Which injuries will impact the offense or defense the most? I think on defense, if McCoy goes out all season with a injury, we lose all pressure up the middle, on defense, I think the most critical position is probably Martin. So hopefully, we can address those depth issues with the #2 through #4 picks. Other areas of concern are OT, if Penn goes down, you slide Dotson to LT and Meredith to RT, so how confident of either of those players are you playing those positions? If Revis isn't able to play next season, are we going to be able to do what we want with Wright and Johnson as our starting corners?

Almost all the other positions (aside from QB) have some coverage for a 1 injury hit. But McCoy and Martin bother me the most and hopefully we will address at least those issues in the first 4 picks. As to other positions, I'd like to see a OL drafted, preferably someone that has some ability to play tackle and definitely another CB, because even though I'm 95% sure Revis is going to be ready opening day, the odds are that we'll need another CB sometime during the season. Remember Wright is just one bonehead act away from a year long suspension.

While BPA sounds good in theory, what we need really is BPA at a position of needed depth throughout the draft.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 24, 2013, 01:04:42 PM

They need to build that depth up. Its not very good at all. Good teams have at least ok depth. We have **CENSORED** for depth. Hopefully they take care of this in the draft and in FA as well.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 24, 2013, 01:52:22 PM

I think for the most part, Dom has covered any glaring weakness in our starting 22 players and while I'll concede that some positions could still be upgraded, the positions are mostly devalued in the offensive/defensive scheme's that we used in the past. So now what the coaching staff should be saying to themselves is 'okay, who covers the position if player x goes out with an injury'? For example, who becomes our #1 wide receiver if Jackson goes down with a injury and is lost all season? What if that's McCoy? or Martin? or Penn or Penn and Dotson?

Which injuries will impact the offense or defense the most? I think on defense, if McCoy goes out all season with a injury, we lose all pressure up the middle, on defense, I think the most critical position is probably Martin. So hopefully, we can address those depth issues with the #2 through #4 picks. Other areas of concern are OT, if Penn goes down, you slide Dotson to LT and Meredith to RT, so how confident of either of those players are you playing those positions? If Revis isn't able to play next season, are we going to be able to do what we want with Wright and Johnson as our starting corners?

Almost all the other positions (aside from QB) have some coverage for a 1 injury hit. But McCoy and Martin bother me the most and hopefully we will address at least those issues in the first 4 picks. As to other positions, I'd like to see a OL drafted, preferably someone that has some ability to play tackle and definitely another CB, because even though I'm 95% sure Revis is going to be ready opening day, the odds are that we'll need another CB sometime during the season. Remember Wright is just one bonehead act away from a year long suspension.

While BPA sounds good in theory, what we need really is BPA at a position of needed depth throughout the draft.

JMO.

I definitely don't feel BPA is black and white.

Say we are there at #43 and out of the 6 guys we have as possibilities to draft: #1 is a OG, #2 is a DE, #3 is an OLB, 4th is an OT, etc....
Some would say, "take the OG, he is BPA!". I would probably disagree. If the DE is just slightly lower grade-wise, but at a position of great need, then he represents the best value to the team.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#34 : April 24, 2013, 01:53:12 PM

History shows we need depth at DL and OL due to injury.....better look at drafting for those positions for depth.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#35 : April 24, 2013, 02:51:19 PM

JMO.

I definitely don't feel BPA is black and white.

Say we are there at #43 and out of the 6 guys we have as possibilities to draft: #1 is a OG, #2 is a DE, #3 is an OLB, 4th is an OT, etc....
Some would say, "take the OG, he is BPA!". I would probably disagree. If the DE is just slightly lower grade-wise, but at a position of great need, then he represents the best value to the team.

I feel the same and would do the same.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 24, 2013, 03:08:12 PM

I'd be more than fine with a guard if it meant they were cutting Joseph.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 24, 2013, 03:49:23 PM

I'd be more than fine with a guard if it meant they were cutting Joseph.

I actually feel the same, but the Bucs seem super high on Joseph(for what I can only guess is leadership ability)...so it doesn't seem all that realistic to have us taking an OG in that scenario I presented.

That said, I absolutely love Larry Warford. Dude would be an instant upgrade over DJ and would save us a bit of money(for all those who are freaking about our cap sitch).

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We dont need to waste draft picks on.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools