Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cornelius Washington « previous next »
Page: 1

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

: April 24, 2013, 10:21:26 AM

There have been a few discussions of him buried in various threads, but I thought I'd start one all about him. As I was scanning mid round pass rushers who may possess some untapped potential, I immediately zeroed in on Washington, who blew up at the Combine, coming in at 6' 4", 265 lbs, running a 4.53 40, doing 36 reps on the bench, hitting 39" on the vertical jump, and broad jumping 10' 8". For those that don't follow the Combine, these are insane numbers for an edge rusher.

So you may ask why wasn't this guy thought of as a 1st rounder before the Combine? Well, he never had more than 5 sacks in a season and just finished his senior year with half a sack. Doesn't sound so good now. But maybe there's more to that. Washington was a top 150 high school prep recruit who redshirted as a freshmen and then broke into the rotation his next season, finishing with 4 sacks while only starting one game. He seemed like he may have been on his way to becoming a serious player.

But then UGA fired defensive coordinator Willie Martinez and hired Todd Grantham, who scrapped the Dawgs' traditional 4-3 defense and installed the 3-4 he worked under in the NFL. Washington may have been lost in the shuffle. While players like Justin Houston and Jarvis Jones became stars rushing from outside linebacker, Washington was asked to do the dirty work as a 3-4 DE. At 6' 4" 265 lbs, one can easily make the argument he doesn't have the ideal body type to rush in between the offensive tackle and guard on every play, which if you watch his highlights, is what he mostly does.

However, if you happen to see when he's allowed to go around the outside of an offensive tackle, he's really effective. He gets to do that a decent amount against LSU. Here they are - 0:00 Rushes from wide alignment and beats right tackle, grabs QB by ankle and gets sack; 1:30 Rushes from wide alignment, beats left tackle and is around QB's ankle in about 2 seconds as he's throwing the ball; 2:05 I don't really care about this play from a pass rushing standpoint because Washington doesn't even get blocked, but you can see pretty good closing speed running down Jordan Jefferson. When he's asked to do wht a 4-3 DE does, he gets heat every time.

Here are Mike Mayock's comments: I think the Washington guy is one of the most intriguing players in the draft. He played a little out of position at Georgia, and went to the Senior Bowl and really blew it up. ... Hes physically gifted. However, hes not a linebacker. I was at the Georgia pro day, and there is no way in the world he can ever drop in coverage. Thats not who he is. So for me, hes a 4-3 defensive end. Hes a situational pass rusher. Hes explosive off the edge. I like the kid maybe better than a lot of people, but my vision of him is a singular one. I want him on the edge, and I want him rushing the quarterback. I think hes so explosive and talented in that area, he can be destructive.

My last argument would be that the University of Georgia produces more underrated defensive linemen that become better players in the NFL than any other school. Somehow Chris Clemons went undrafted in 2003 and here he is still playing in the NFL with over 50 career sacks now. Somehow Charles Johnson lasted until the 3rd round in a draft that saw Jamaal Anderson go in the top 10, and here he is with back-to-back 10+ sack seasons and he has a $60 million contract. Somehow Justin Houston lasted until the 3rd round in 2011 and here he is two years later with 20 sacks. If I'm going to take a chance on a school not properly showcasing its talent, it's going to be UGA.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 24, 2013, 10:23:52 AM

ask UGA fans. looks like tarzan, plays like jane

ive got a buddy who is a UGA fan and he think washington is a bum, said  hes an athletic freak but just doesnt get it done on the field
: April 24, 2013, 10:25:51 AM dexmonkey

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 24, 2013, 10:27:11 AM

ive got a buddy who is a UGA fan and he think washington is a bum, said  hes an athletic freak but just doesnt get it done on the field
I think you can make an argument UGA didn't ask him to do what he's best at.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 24, 2013, 10:27:31 AM

I've been on the Washington bandwagon for a while now, would love to snag him in the 3rd round.

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 24, 2013, 10:29:17 AM

possibly. im just a little leary of players who ball out at the combine but dont show up on the field. id rather see what a guy does with the padded up and with the lights on

theres a reason i laugh at pundits who drop jarvis jones and bjoern werner based on workout and ignore great production but pump up guys like ezekial ansah and dontari poe

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 24, 2013, 10:36:42 AM

possibly. im just a little leary of players who ball out at the combine but dont show up on the field. id rather see what a guy does with the padded up and with the lights on

theres a reason i laugh at pundits who drop jarvis jones and bjoern werner based on workout and ignore great production but pump up guys like ezekial ansah and dontari poe
You may be right to a certain extent, but in the cases of players like Ansah and Poe, they played a lot and didn't produce. Washington didn't play that much because he didn't have a position. He's not athletic enough to play in coverage so he can't play linebacker and UGA's base defensive linemen are built to play the run. Their NT is around 350 lbs and their DE's close to 300 lbs. At 265 lbs Washington just didn't fit at anything other than 3rd down package, where most of the time he rushed from the 5-technique. In the LSU game I posted, he literally only rushes from a 7 or 9-technique twice, but he abuses the offensive tackle both times.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 24, 2013, 10:38:12 AM

While I don't want to use early picks on players like that, I don't mind using mid/late picks on players who are physically gifted, but haven't put it together on the field.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 24, 2013, 10:39:23 AM

The measurable are outstanding but then you read scouting reports that say he isn't an explosive player.  Maybe he is stiff.  But the looks like Tarzan plays like Jane might not be far off.   

VA_Buc30

Starter

#8 : April 24, 2013, 10:43:12 AM

Pat Kirwan talked about him last night on Sirius/XM saying he would be a great pick in the 3rd.  Then mentioned that a few GMs he spoke to told him Washington isn't going to make it to the 3rd round. 
So I guess he's pretty high on some teams' draft boards.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 24, 2013, 11:06:12 AM

You may be right to a certain extent, but in the cases of players like Ansah and Poe, they played a lot and didn't produce. Washington didn't play that much because he didn't have a position. He's not athletic enough to play in coverage so he can't play linebacker and UGA's base defensive linemen are built to play the run. Their NT is around 350 lbs and their DE's close to 300 lbs. At 265 lbs Washington just didn't fit at anything other than 3rd down package, where most of the time he rushed from the 5-technique. In the LSU game I posted, he literally only rushes from a 7 or 9-technique twice, but he abuses the offensive tackle both times.

Poe played alot but Ansah hasnt played but maybe a year or so

@ Biggs3535
im not opposed to drafting him in the 4th or later

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 24, 2013, 11:09:09 AM

The measurable are outstanding but then you read scouting reports that say he isn't an explosive player. 
In this day and age of streaming video, I'd rather use my eyes. You can see in the two good rushes highlighted above against LSU he gets off the ball very quickly. Here are some screen captures.

Here are some other screen captures.

You can see on this play against a really good left tackle Washington is WAY farther past the line of scrimmage than any of his teammates.

Here's another sequence.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 24, 2013, 11:11:50 AM

.....but can he cover?

Super Selmon

Starter
#12 : April 24, 2013, 05:19:31 PM

I'll bet he gets drafted by Seattle.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cornelius Washington « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools