Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting Info on William Gholston « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

ingey1968

Starter

#75 : May 01, 2013, 08:22:44 PM

You have to keep in mind that all the info in this thread is from a state fan with comments from other State fans.  of course they are going to blow sunshine up peoples arses about one of there own. You have to pretty much take it with a grain of salt until you get reliable info from someone not affiliated with the school

Haha listen dude. I am not a Michigan State fan. My friend was on the Michigan State football staff when they recruited William Gholston and while he was there for a bit. I am not a fan, I am just passing along information about him because I know that he used to work there and was in on all the meetings and stuff like that. I have no idea why he would have any reason to make **CENSORED** up. I am not a member of the media or anything like that. He told me all this stuff from being along side the coaches and Gholston for a period of time.

Give me a **CENSORED**ing break, I was pissed at the pick right off the bat, but the difference between a guy like you or myself and a scout is that all we know is what we see on tape or what we hear analysts say, while a scout gets all that inside information, like the stuff I told you.

Hot headed and using bad language...   Yup, State fan for sure  :o

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#76 : May 01, 2013, 08:35:32 PM

Hahahaha oh come on man. I was just taking offense to you saying I was making stuff up. You can say all you want to about State fans though because I am not one haha.

snicker24

Starter
#77 : May 01, 2013, 08:50:20 PM

You have to keep in mind that all the info in this thread is from a state fan with comments from other State fans.  of course they are going to blow sunshine up peoples arses about one of there own. You have to pretty much take it with a grain of salt until you get reliable info from someone not affiliated with the school
If Michigan State fans are anything like most of the fans around here they'll provide highly pessimistic views about their team and almost all of their players. Therefore any positive news about a player should be highly regarded.

ingey1968

Starter

#78 : May 02, 2013, 11:14:28 AM

I am just messing with the State fans, thats it.  As i said before, he is a good pick where he was selected.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#79 : May 02, 2013, 11:39:00 AM

Heard Jim Miller on with Justin this morning. Michigan State radio man, former QB.

Man, he's high on Gholston. Said he's a good kid with tremendous upside. Said he can be better than Clayborn. (Miller saw Clayborn quite a bit in the Big 10)
: May 02, 2013, 11:44:58 AM Madman

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#80 : May 06, 2013, 02:24:15 PM

I think, fans may be to caught up with Gholstons forty time - when in actuality the chances of him running forty yards to have to get to a quarterback are very slim. The two things I look at on defensive are 10-yard and 3-cone and Gholston for his size ran a 1.74 10-yard and a 7.20 3-cone. When you compare him to others from previous drafts with similar height weight categories his is very comparable.  Essentially the 3-cone drills measures the change of direction - the agility, quickness and fluidity of movement in players. Quinton Coples 10-yard 1.63, 3-cone 7.57 beats Gholston in straight line speed and closing burst - Gholston has much better fluidity and change of direction. I think that Gholston is going to surprise some and really come in to his own as a situational rusher as a rookie and by the end of his third season be a nightmare for opposing offenses to contain.

Good catch, Yucs.

A couple of other thoughts on Gholston:

- I think a lot of times what appears to be "lack of effort" can be confused with the rawness of the player. When you don't know how to win against a player, you can look really sluggish.
- I've been trying to think of a good comp, and maybe it's Calais Campbell. Physically they are both tall, long-armed guys. Both finished their college careers poorly, and didn't perform all that well at the combine (Campbell I think ran a 5.0 and didn't bench well). It took Campbell a solid year before he did anything, but since then he's been a disruptive, 6-8 sack guy, who knocks down a lot of passes.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#81 : May 06, 2013, 02:40:53 PM

- I've been trying to think of a good comp, and maybe it's Calais Campbell. Physically they are both tall, long-armed guys. Both finished their college careers poorly, and didn't perform all that well at the combine (Campbell I think ran a 5.0 and didn't bench well). It took Campbell a solid year before he did anything, but since then he's been a disruptive, 6-8 sack guy, who knocks down a lot of passes.

I'm not sure if that's a good comparison or not, but let's hope it's a true one.  If Gholston can even sniff the type of player Campbell's been, that's a win for Tampa.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#82 : May 06, 2013, 02:46:34 PM

I'm not sure if that's a good comparison or not, but let's hope it's a true one.  If Gholston can even sniff the type of player Campbell's been, that's a win for Tampa.

Ha - Biggs, I should have mentioned that I'd kill for that kind of end result. The 6-8 sacks kind of understates how disruptive Campbell is at times. He's added weight over time (some of that is the 3-4 role), and I wonder if the goal with Ghoston is to get him closer to 300lbs.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#83 : December 03, 2013, 08:20:07 PM

He has certainly been getting a ton of burn this year and getting some pressures. I like what I've seen so far from this mid round pick.
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting Info on William Gholston « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools