Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Demps wont be available until mid-season « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#30 : April 30, 2013, 09:34:24 AM

Sure is easy to tell who the gaytor fans are around here.  LOL!!!
It's really hard to tell the Bucs fans, 'tho...
It seems pretty simple to me.  I guess it's tough for some with lower intelligence levels, though.

nick777777

Starter
#31 : April 30, 2013, 09:42:39 AM

Last year was an Olympic year so of course he didn't play much for the patriots.  However this year his last competition is in August.  After that he should have plenty of time to focus on football.  If not they have options.  They don't have to release him or put him on injured reserve.  So we traded Blount a guy who barely saw the field for a speed demon that might help us in the return game or make a move to slot receiver.  I liked Blount but this isn't that bad of a trade.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 30, 2013, 09:50:43 AM

Last year was an Olympic year so of course he didn't play much for the patriots.  However this year his last competition is in August.  After that he should have plenty of time to focus on football.  If not they have options.  They don't have to release him or put him on injured reserve.  So we traded Blount a guy who barely saw the field for a speed demon that might help us in the return game or make a move to slot receiver.  I liked Blount but this isn't that bad of a trade.

Blount was traded for a 7th round pick.  He would have been cut.  Demps wasn't a pat until after the Olympics.  Billychick picked him up on spec, as he often does... like playing rummy.  Dominik just wants his chance at that spec.  It's almost the same thing he did to get Blount in the first place.  Taking a chance on talented players isn't a bad thing.

Dominik specialized in acquiring talented players who were bad fits for his coaches. - FootballOutsiders

wolfet

Pro Bowler
#33 : April 30, 2013, 09:57:21 AM

This thread is the epitome of what this board has become.  Some folks act like Demps is playing hold'em tournaments.  This guy wants to represent our country at the Olympics.  Coincidently,  the thing he is working on in track is the thing that best defines him as a football player, speed.  So yeah, Shiano might be OK with it.  If we find someone better, then he loses his job.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 30, 2013, 10:01:46 AM

For those of you talking about "We need him in camp to learn the special teams"...are you kidding me?  He is a return guy, all he needs to know is where to expect a hole and then use what god gave him.  He isnt going to be an offensive player, just special teams.

Im NOT a gay-tor fan at all, but I can recognize talent.  I can also recognize posters who never played football past high school (if that). 

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 30, 2013, 10:06:09 AM

Not impossible; the Raiders managed to work it out with Bo Jackson playing both baseball and football, with pretty good results.
    First step is to be open-minded, then determine Demps' availability for football, and Schiano and Dominik to talk it over to figure out a schedule to get Demps up to speed BEFORE Demps actually arrives. I'm no expert on these various "inactive" lists, but here's just a possibility :
    Put Demps on one of the "Inactive" lists (maybe "did not report"?) such that he could be activated later in the season. Use the first part of the season after he reports for learning the part of the playbook he needs and practicing. I expect us to keep Orlovsky around until Glennon has the playbook down, which is likely somewhere around midway thru the season. At that time cut Orlovsky and activate Demps.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#36 : April 30, 2013, 10:12:23 AM

Apparently this guy is a bum and cant play football:

Rather have players on the team 100% committed to being a football player.

#BuccaneersMan

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 30, 2013, 10:17:48 AM

My gut tells me he's not gonna get a pass like Deion or Bo with Coach S...it sets a bad precedent and runs contrary to why he was hired in the first place.

I also don't think the situation is as black and white as some would like to think...I assume there were conversations with Demps or his reps prior to the deal going down to gauge the situation otherwise it was simply Blount for a 7th rounder.
: April 30, 2013, 10:21:15 AM BucDaFackUp

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 30, 2013, 10:17:55 AM

Not impossible; the Raiders managed to work it out with Bo Jackson playing both baseball and football, with pretty good results.
    First step is to be open-minded, then determine Demps' availability for football, and Schiano and Dominik to talk it over to figure out a schedule to get Demps up to speed BEFORE Demps actually arrives. I'm no expert on these various "inactive" lists, but here's just a possibility :
    Put Demps on one of the "Inactive" lists (maybe "did not report"?) such that he could be activated later in the season. Use the first part of the season after he reports for learning the part of the playbook he needs and practicing. I expect us to keep Orlovsky around until Glennon has the playbook down, which is likely somewhere around midway thru the season. At that time cut Orlovsky and activate Demps.
How much of a playbook does a punt returner really have to learn? This guy lacks any other skillset but speed.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#39 : April 30, 2013, 10:18:27 AM

This guy wants to represent our country at the Olympics.

All power to him. Just come back to the NFL when you're 100% committed to playing football.  Just a word of caution - the guys that traded for him might not be around when he comes back if the team doesn't perform well.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 30, 2013, 10:21:10 AM

This guy wants to represent our country at the Olympics.

All power to him. Just come back to the NFL when you're 100% committed to playing football.

We have a sub-4.4 guy from somewhere in Utah.  Who needs to connect with their fanbase anyway?  LA, here we come!

Dominik specialized in acquiring talented players who were bad fits for his coaches. - FootballOutsiders

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 30, 2013, 10:53:50 AM

My gut tells me he's not gonna get a pass like Deion or Bo with Coach S...it sets a bad precedent and runs contrary to why he was hired in the first place.

I also don't think the situation is as black and white as some would like to think...I assume there were conversations with Demps or his reps prior to the deal going down to gauge the situation otherwise it was simply Blount for a 7th rounder.

well to be fair Deion and Bo are completely different cases from this. those guys are HOF freak talent and dont come along very often. if you think the FO didnt discuss this scenario with his agent then you are sorely mistaken. we wouldnt just make this deal for the hell of it

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 30, 2013, 12:20:50 PM

Lol at this board sometimes. I have no idea what the odds of him actually playing a down for us are(probably not very high). But to call him a bum? This is a guy that won silver in the Olympics for his speed. Guys like Shaun King and Albert Haynesworth, who had talent but wasted it by simply not working hard, THOSE guys are bums. A guy who wins an Olympic medal is definitely not.

ingey1968

Starter

#43 : April 30, 2013, 01:21:55 PM

Not really sure how much time he would need to get ready. Return some kicks, perhaps throw him a few screens, run reverses or whatever.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#44 : April 30, 2013, 02:25:30 PM

well to be fair Deion and Bo are completely different cases from this. those guys are HOF freak talent and dont come along very often. if you think the FO didnt discuss this scenario with his agent then you are sorely mistaken. we wouldnt just make this deal for the hell of it

Absolutely not in the Deion/Bo class which is why I'm saying he won't get the luxuries afforded to athletes of that stature (i.e. ability to suit up whenever he's able).

I agree that FO likely did discuss with his reps prior to making the deal but on the other hand...is it simply indicative of the perceived value that Blount has on the open market if Demps isn't the bargaining chip that caused this deal to consumate? I'm not in the position to comment with any fact but I get the impression that most teams weren't willing to take on his deficiencies (one trick pony syndrome). I also wouldn't downplay the possibility of a gentleman's agreement between Schiano/Belichick where they exchanged "liabilities" with the Bucs gaining a 7th based on LGB being a project for BB..
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jeff Demps wont be available until mid-season « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools