Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How will LeGarrette Blount fit in with Patriots? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 01, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »

How will LeGarrette Blount fit in with Patriots?

Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer 

April 28, 2013 1:23pm

Now that he’s on his way to New England – a result of Saturday’s trade – it’s a good time to ask how former Bucs running back LeGarrette Blount will fit in with the Patriots.

The early answer, based on how things appear on the surface, is that Blount finds himself in a similar predicament with the defending AFC East champions.

They, like the Bucs, have an established starting running back in Stevan Ridley, who had 290 carries for 1,263 yards in 2012. That’s nearly as many attempts as the Bucs’ Doug Martin, who rushed 319 times for 1,454 yards last season. Martin’s big share of the workload reduced Blount to a limited role, and Blount might or might not see a change in New England.

The Patriots lost Danny Woodhead in free agency to the Chargers, and that opens up some playing time in the backfield. But Woodhead was essentially a third-down back, and that’s not an area that Blount has shown himself to be an asset. Patriots backup Shane Vereen has the inside track at that job after rushing 62 times in 2012.

Quarterback Tom Brady and his offensive coaches are demanding of their players, with little tolerance for mistakes. That means that Blount won’t be able to have miscues in complicated pass protections, a great source of irritation for the Bucs coaching staffs both under Raheem Morris and Greg Schiano.

So, unless Blount can carve out a role on early downs as a complement to Ridley, he might have an equally difficult time getting on the field in New England.

But there’s one good thing Blount has going for him: Any time a player has the benefit of being seen by fresh sets of eyes, he has a chance to make a first impression all over again. The Patriots, in part because they gave up a draft pick for him, are going to have an open mind about Blount. They will know the scouting report on him going in, but they’ll want to see how he specifically fits in their system and how that, perhaps, makes him a weapon.

Judging by coach Bill Belichick’s statements on Saturday, Blount will get a fair shake.

“I think he's a good football player. He's had a lot of production,” he said, according to the Boston Herald. “I think he got into a situation last year where they obviously went with Martin, but I think this guy is a good football player. We're happy to add him to our team.

"I think we felt like we had an opportunity to get a good player at a price we thought was fair, good value for what we gave up, and so that's why we did it.”

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #1 : May 01, 2013, 12:29:50 AM »

Who cares?

In Verner We Trust

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 01, 2013, 03:09:14 AM »

Who cares?
I do.

I hope Blount does well, he's proven he deserves an opportunity to start in this league.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #3 : May 01, 2013, 03:28:09 AM »

Who cares?
I do.

I hope Blount does well, he's proven he deserves an opportunity to start in this league.
As if he wasn't give a chance here..  ::)

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 01, 2013, 05:16:58 AM »

Who cares?

Yet you're okay with the plethora of Tebow threads? Alright.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #5 : May 01, 2013, 07:07:10 AM »

The obligatory "How does Blount fit?" articles will be a hard habit for the TB media to break.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 01, 2013, 07:28:34 AM »

Probably between 100-125 carries.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #7 : May 01, 2013, 07:34:48 AM »

I predict he doesn't make the final 53. I just don't see Belicheck putting up with laziness and mental mistakes.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

« #8 : May 01, 2013, 07:36:19 AM »

HE wont. A trainer assistant 2 years ago told me that Blount could not pick up the play books terminology. The Bucs had to point and tell him where the play was going. This created a problem when Freeman would change the play at the line of scrimmage. So they gave Blount a generic move he had to do which was to step up to the left if he was to get the hand off Freeman would put the ball in his belly. If it was a pass play he would be in position to block. there were only a handful of plays he actually Knew.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #9 : May 01, 2013, 08:25:32 AM »

I predict he doesn't make the final 53. I just don't see Belicheck putting up with laziness and mental mistakes.
agree.  they probably get him some set plays against some preseason scrubs and try to flip him.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

« #10 : May 01, 2013, 08:38:30 AM »

HE wont. A trainer assistant 2 years ago told me that Blount could not pick up the play books terminology. The Bucs had to point and tell him where the play was going. This created a problem when Freeman would change the play at the line of scrimmage. So they gave Blount a generic move he had to do which was to step up to the left if he was to get the hand off Freeman would put the ball in his belly. If it was a pass play he would be in position to block. there were only a handful of plays he actually Knew.

You've got to admit, it takes some kind of freak athlete to get as far as he did with these mental limitations. The guy was considered for the Heisman and put up a 1000 yard season in the NFL, pretty impressive. Imagine if he had a head on his shoulders.

I met Blount once, and though brief, he was a really nice guy. I'm sad to see him go and think it's unfortunate that he didn't continue improving from that first season.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #11 : May 01, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »

We will see how Ridley holds up, would not be surprised if Blount is starting at some point for them.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #12 : May 01, 2013, 08:57:17 AM »

+1 on who cares?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #13 : May 01, 2013, 08:58:32 AM »

Who cares?

Yet you're okay with the plethora of Tebow threads? Alright.
Who said? Tebow was never a Buc. I accept the man crush as a regional quirk and try to ignore it. Liked Blount. Will still wear the jersey while doing laundry. But moved on from him being a part of the picture.

In Verner We Trust

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #14 : May 01, 2013, 09:02:21 AM »

i think its a very interesting topic.  if beliechek can find a way to utilize blount then it might be a valuable lesson for schiano.  if belichik cant then it should be a valuable lesson for certain buc fans.  and then there is the demps angle.

i find it hard to believe that in NE blount will get by on physical attitbutes while ocho cinco wasted away.  i cant believe that brady is willing to be patient with a guy that isnt fully immersed with the playbook.  but who knows.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How will LeGarrette Blount fit in with Patriots? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools