Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs will try to carry over about $10 million in cap room to 2014. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 04, 2013, 12:05:19 AM »

NFC South salary-cap check

May, 1, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers freed up $1.75 million in salary-cap space by trading running back LeGarrette Blount to the New England Patriots during the NFL draft.

That leaves the Buccaneers $19.024 million under this year’s salary cap. Only four teams have more room. Tampa Bay still could make a move or two in free agency, but I wouldn’t expect anything flashy. The Bucs will need somewhere between $3 million and $4 million to sign their draft picks and they also are likely to give receiver Mike Williams a front-loaded contract extension. The Bucs likely will try to carry over about $10 million in cap room to 2014.

The rest of the NFC South teams don’t have nearly as much cap room as the Bucs. The Carolina Panthers are $5.28 million under the cap. That’s enough to sign the draft picks, but the Panthers won’t have much room left over.

The New Orleans Saints are $3.1 million under the cap. We still could see some contract restructures or releases. The Atlanta Falcons are $2.18 million under the cap. The Falcons will have to free up a little cap space just to be able to sign their draft picks.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 04, 2013, 12:57:33 AM »

...We just signed probably the most prolific/talented corner since Leon Sandcastle and a probowl safety, and we're still no where near the rest of the NFC south in cap.

For good, or bad, it is what it is.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #2 : May 04, 2013, 01:02:12 AM »

I would hope Mike Williams long term deal and then at least 1 pass rusher is signed. I can't believe Dom and Schiano think what we have right now is okay.

ToddyBuc

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 04, 2013, 02:04:36 AM »

I keep looking everyday and hoping we sign Freeney or Abraham.... I would feel so much better about the D-line..   

Bucs-Lightning already World Champions. Rays Next!!!

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 04, 2013, 04:24:03 AM »

Use every bit of the remaining cap to pump more money into the mega contracts so they're lighter in the future.

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)

CanadianBuc

Starter
« #5 : May 04, 2013, 06:42:36 AM »

I would hope Mike Williams long term deal and then at least 1 pass rusher is signed. I can't believe Dom and Schiano think what we have right now is okay.

Adrian Clayborn, Daquan Bowers, Daniel Teo Nesheim, Aaron Morgan, William Gholston -- You may not think so but there is a LOT of depth at that position. Same for DT

Gerald Mccoy, Akeem Spence, Derek Landri, Gary Gibson

You guys want the "flashy" players just because we have the cap. This is where potential dynasties crash or burn. The Bucs are playing this the right way, they are going to save as much money as they can so they will be able to resign all of the talent they have accumulated. We have a very talented core and they are all still in their 20s (except V-Jax, Ronde) We will be a very good team for a very long time BUT we have to be smart with what we do.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
« #6 : May 04, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »

Use every bit of the remaining cap to pump more money into the mega contracts so they're lighter in the future.

This. As far as Im concerned, give MW 16 mill this year, and then have him drop down to 4 for the next 4 or so. Take the hit (and spend/reach the 89% needed). Mikes clearly outplayed his rookie deal, so pay the man, just make sure its a frontloaded deal while we still have the cash to do it

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #7 : May 04, 2013, 06:58:56 AM »

It's not about a "flashy" pickup. It's about having a vet who has several years of good production. It's about signing a guy who has proven to be a good pass rusher and will solidify the DE rotation. Settling for potential and uncertainty is one of the reasons the Bucs have been at the bottom of the league in the last five years at getting after the QB. None of the guys on the roster have shown to be absolute studs in terms of pass rush. Sure, Clayborn has a high motor, but he isn't unique in that regard. Sure, Bowers has shown flashes...but nothing consistent and he is injury prone until proven otherwise. DTN is more of a run defender, and is poor in pass rush. Aaron Morgan...pssh, next. Gholston/Means are mid round picks and we will be lucky if just one of them has even a slight impact.

We need help still at DE. It is now the weakest position group on the defensive roster.

We have plenty of cap room, so financially, we're fine.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #8 : May 04, 2013, 07:00:42 AM »

Adrian Clayborn, Daquan Bowers, Daniel Teo Nesheim, Aaron Morgan, William Gholston -- You may not think so but there is a LOT of depth at that position. Same for DT

Gerald Mccoy, Akeem Spence, Derek Landri, Gary Gibson

You guys want the "flashy" players just because we have the cap. This is where potential dynasties crash or burn. The Bucs are playing this the right way, they are going to save as much money as they can so they will be able to resign all of the talent they have accumulated. We have a very talented core and they are all still in their 20s (except V-Jax, Ronde) We will be a very good team for a very long time BUT we have to be smart with what we do.
Aaron Morgan is not proven and has done nothing so far in what 4 years? DTN was decent last year. Clayborn is solid when healthy and Bowers, well that is a major question mark because he hasn't played a full NFL season yet.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #9 : May 04, 2013, 07:07:35 AM »

Pretty impressive cap management effort...

For the second consecutive year we have brought in elite players and still have more money in cap space than 90% of the league.

Credit where its due, MD is killing it.    Believe he's truly coming into his prime.   

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

The Freeman

Starter

« #10 : May 04, 2013, 08:42:28 AM »

he say $19.024 million under this year’s salary cap

estimated cap value for draft picks:
#43 Johnthan Banks
in 2012, Jets WR Stephen Hill got a 4 yr $4,712,338 deal / 1st year cap: $856,789

#73 Mike Glennon
in 2012, Chargers S Brandon Taylor got a 4 yr $2,743,876 deal / 1st year cap: $550,969

#100 Akeem Spence
in 2012, Browns WR Travis Benjamin got a 4 yr/$2,577,000 deal / 1st year cap: $509,250

#126 William Gholston
in 2012, Texans DT Jared Crick got a 4 yr/$2,491,500 deal / 1st year cap: $487,875

#147 Steven Means
in 2012, Bills LB Tank Carder got a 4 yr/$2,292,800 deal / 1st year cap: $438,200

#189 Mike James
in 2012, Raiders DE Christo Bilukidi got a 4 yr/$2,203,864 deal / 1st year cap: $415,966

cap hit: $3,259,049
= $15.765 million under the cap

pancake block

Starter

« #11 : May 04, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »

plenty of depth on the d-line....ot on the other hand...looking kinda sparse....would breathe easier with 4m Eric Winston in the fold

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

« #12 : May 04, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »

I'm looking forward to vet cuts.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #13 : May 04, 2013, 10:13:22 AM »

Pretty impressive cap management effort...

For the second consecutive year we have brought in elite players and still have more money in cap space than 90% of the league.

Credit where its due, MD is killing it.    Believe he's truly coming into his prime.

Is it truly impressive if you don't make the playoffs?

HolyBuc

Starter
« #14 : May 04, 2013, 02:15:13 PM »

I think Doug Free will be a Buc if Dallas cuts him.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs will try to carry over about $10 million in cap room to 2014. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools