Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One name remains missing from the Ring « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#90 : May 13, 2013, 10:59:03 AM

Rather obvious that the young and disrespectful are completely ignorant of the Doug Williams years.    I guess because I knew him personally I have a different viewpoint.  Of course the fact that my wife was a part of the BUCS PR department for the first 10 years gives me a much more credible perspective.

Oh and the 80's were miserable after Williams left...  Anyone that watched the Bucs go from 0-26 to the NFC championship understands. If you weren't there you just will never understand. 

Speaking of Brooks does anyone feel the Bucs gave him a proper respectful send off?     Glad to see the Bucs finally got it right with Ronde.

I guess we should put Chris Simms in the ROH because we haven't made the playoffs since we cut him.

Clueless and ignorant comment by someone that wasn't present when Doug was drafted and played for the Bucs.  Did Chris Simms take the Bucs to the NFC championship?  Did he ever win a Super Bowl.  Was he drafted in the First round?  NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT!  ;D

How is draft status or what he did for another team relevant to being in the Bucs ROH? Steve Young was a superior player and he doesn't belong anywhere near the Bucs ROH.

He didn't carry the Bucs anywhere. Ricky Bell, the defense, and Jimmy Giles carried them there. He led his team to a whopping 0 points despite the defense giving him every opportunity in the world to keep the game winnable.
I agree!  If he belongs in the ROH it's in Washington not in Tampa.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#91 : May 13, 2013, 12:01:39 PM

OK lets put some meaningful numbers behind this...

Doug Williams played in Tampa for 5 years
In those 5 years, the Bucs went to the playoffs 3 Times.
Buccaneers total Playoff Record with Doug Williams is 1-3

Doug Williams Stats in the 4 playoff games:

Att   Comp      %          Yards       TD's           Int   Rating
1979     7     15        46.67           132        1              1        72.1
1979     2     13        15.38             12        0              1          7.5
1981   10     29        34.48           187        0              4        18.1
1982     8     28        28.57           113        1              3        16.2

So, how again does that equate into a ROH induction?
: May 13, 2013, 12:07:27 PM Freddy

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#92 : May 13, 2013, 12:06:42 PM

Actually putting up those stats make you wonder if we'd have had a real QB at the time how things may have turned out differently.  The guy was really inaccurate.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#93 : May 13, 2013, 12:57:42 PM

Actually putting up those stats make you wonder if we'd have had a real QB at the time how things may have turned out differently.  The guy was really inaccurate.

+1

By the way, I was alive and watching when Doug Williams played and he has no business in our ROH.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#94 : May 13, 2013, 01:08:03 PM

Of course the fact that my wife was a part of the BUCS PR department for the first 10 years gives me a much more credible perspective.

"I am credible because I proclaim myself credible"? Really?

I actually understand where you're coming from on Williams though. It depends on the criteria because he's not going to make it on stats. The question is whether that is unfair given the teams he played on? I am not even sure that is the case, but there will be a movement to put someone like Ricky Bell in the ROH or Mean Gene. .  so again it depends on the criteria.  I am not sure it is stat driven but maybe.
: May 13, 2013, 01:10:09 PM VinBucFan

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#95 : May 13, 2013, 01:12:37 PM

I loved watching Doug as a Buc.  Have always thought Culverhouse was very shortsighted back in the day.

As for being in the Ring?   I was a fan of the guy, but there are many, many, many more more deserving candidates.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#96 : May 13, 2013, 03:31:18 PM

1979     7     15        46.67           132        1              1        72.1
1979     2     13        15.38             12        0              1          7.5
1982     8     28        28.57           113        1              3        16.2

Stats are not the only thing that determines ROH as someone mentioned John McKay is in the ring and what exactly did he produce stat wise as head coach?

The problem is you don't take into consideration the peripherals that Williams brought to the Bucs.  Truthfully, it if I didn't know better I sense a racist prejudice going on here and I find that rather repugnant.

The disrespect towards a great Buc player is rather obvious and I can definitely say that those of us who endured 0-26 know well what Doug Williams meant to the Bucs, and proof of his value can be seen at what transpired after the administration dropped the ball and didn't get him signed for a mere pittance by today's standards.

Who doesn't remember the Doug Williams curse?  Not that I am superstitious but Jon Gruden certainly did the right thing in getting Doug back to Tampa. 

Doug was the face of the franchise the years he was here and as a fan you always felt the Bucs had a chance for victory. That thought was smashed after he left! 

So yes take your stats and shove them up your...@#$ Doug belongs there despite all the smarmy disrespectful remarks being hurled towards him. 

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#97 : May 13, 2013, 03:33:34 PM

Truthfully, it if I didn't know better I sense a racist prejudice going on here and I find that rather repugnant.

anybody not see that coming?

shame
: May 13, 2013, 03:44:19 PM VinBucFan

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#98 : May 13, 2013, 03:53:32 PM

Truthfully, it if I didn't know better I sense a racist prejudice going on here and I find that rather repugnant.

shame
I find your willingness to drop the race card repugnant.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#99 : May 13, 2013, 03:59:19 PM

shame
I find your willingness to drop the race card repugnant.

I think you meant to quote the person that made the comment, I agree with you

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#100 : May 13, 2013, 04:05:43 PM

After Brooks, Lynch should come Brad Johnson.  Not the best QB in the whole wide world, but took us to the SB and won it...he doesn't get enuf love here IMHO.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#101 : May 13, 2013, 04:07:54 PM

You are correct VBF!

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#102 : May 13, 2013, 04:47:14 PM

stats: ask the same question about McKay being in the ROH

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#103 : May 13, 2013, 04:50:20 PM

Stats are not the only thing that determines ROH as someone mentioned John McKay is in the ring and what exactly did he produce stat wise as head coach?

The problem is you don't take into consideration the peripherals that Williams brought to the Bucs.  Truthfully, it if I didn't know better I sense a racist prejudice going on here and I find that rather repugnant.

The disrespect towards a great Buc player is rather obvious and I can definitely say that those of us who endured 0-26 know well what Doug Williams meant to the Bucs, and proof of his value can be seen at what transpired after the administration dropped the ball and didn't get him signed for a mere pittance by today's standards.

Who doesn't remember the Doug Williams curse?  Not that I am superstitious but Jon Gruden certainly did the right thing in getting Doug back to Tampa. 

Doug was the face of the franchise the years he was here and as a fan you always felt the Bucs had a chance for victory. That thought was smashed after he left! 

So yes take your stats and shove them up your...@#$ Doug belongs there despite all the smarmy disrespectful remarks being hurled towards him.

hard to rationalize w/ fans who weren't alive during those years and only became fans after 19 Jan 2003.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#104 : May 13, 2013, 04:51:11 PM

When it comes to a player, stats are certainly a part of the decision.  Especially considering how horrid Doug Williams was in those playoff games. Sub 20 QB rating in 3 playoff games is a disgrace for a QB.  So in this aspect, stats may not scream he is good, but they certainly scream his was bad at the worst times and average the rest.

BTW, I lived through the 0-26 too.  I know what Doug brought to the team. I also know he didn't have to do much to be considered an improvement.  Heck, most people would beg for Tebow over Gary Huff.  Compare to Huff, Doug was a dream.  Still, we really are just talking about the best **CENSORED** sandwich. And despite all the talent around him and the great defense that was built, Doug still could not deliver the goods.  He was a little Brett Farvish with his gun slinging and super fastball. He was exciting to watch. But I remember way more let downs than moment of success with Williams.

And your racist comment is just plain stupid and uncalled for.  People don't want Williams in the ROH because he truly doesn't belong there (at least not ahead of many others first).  He was a decent at best player that people get emotional over because Culverhouse screwed him over.  Williams is remembered for what Culverhouse did to him, not what Williams did for the Bucs.  Although to this day, I still clearly remember his horrible games against the Cowboys in the playoffs. He looked like a high school freshman at best.  Some of the worst QB play I have ever seen.  Go watch either of those playoff games vs the Cowboys then come back here with a straight face claiming Williams should be in the ROH, just lol.

Maybe if you had any real footing in this matter, you would not desperately lash out with ridiculous false racist accusations. But alas, as others have aptly noted, it's not a surprise from you.

Oh and, does your mother know you talk like that? She would be ashamed.
: May 13, 2013, 04:55:19 PM Freddy
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One name remains missing from the Ring « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools