Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One name remains missing from the Ring « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 15

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 05, 2013, 12:00:52 AM

Doug Williams should be in Bucs' Ring

Tom Jones, Times Sports Columnist 

Saturday, May 4, 2013 4:30am

Tom Jones' two cents

The Bucs announced last week that Warren Sapp will be the fifth person inducted into their Ring of Honor. Just like the four previous inductees, Sapp is certainly deserving. But one name remains missing from the Ring, and it would appear this name will go on missing for years.

Doug Williams.

Again, you can't argue with any of the names already in the Ring. There isn't one you look at and think, "Hmm, he doesn't belong.'' They all belong.

Lee Roy Selmon was the first honoree, in 2009. The defensive end was the logical first choice. He was the first and, at the time, only Hall of Famer in Bucs history.

The next year, John McKay, the team's first coach, was inducted. He, too, made sense.

Tight end Jimmie Giles was the next selection, in 2011. He was a bit of a surprise choice but a deserving one.

Then came 2012. Based on the first three to go into the Ring and when they played for the Bucs, Williams seemed next in line. But the Bucs jumped ahead to Paul Gruber. It was then we all realized the offensive tackle was the bridge from the old creamsicle Bucs to the modern day, Super Bowl-pewter Bucs.

And so, here we are with Sapp being the first of the more recent Bucs going into the Ring.

This was Sapp's year with his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame coming this summer. It was only natural he go into the Ring in 2013.

Next year should be Derrick Brooks' year. He likely will be elected to the Hall of Fame, then join Sapp in the Ring.

Suddenly, it looks like planes lining up on a runway with the Super Bowl-era Bucs waiting their turn to move into the Ring. After Sapp and, I assume, Brooks will come, in no particular order, John Lynch, Mike Alstott and Ronde Barber. Somewhere in there will be coaches Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden. Maybe owner Malcolm Glazer eventually goes in.

We might be looking at 11 or 12 names before Williams is even considered.

When you have a franchise that has been around since 1976 and you're honoring only one person per year, there is going to be a waiting list and some names are going to be left out longer than they should. Some deserving names might never get in.

But don't you get the feeling the Bucs are purposefully not inducting Williams?

Let's face it: Williams and the Bucs have had a rocky relationship. They, essentially, were married and got divorced, got remarried and divorced again. When Williams left the Bucs front office in May 2011, it was a contentious split.

You have to wonder if Williams will be honored as long as the Glazers own the team. Maybe everyone is scared of what Williams might say about the Bucs if given an open mike in front of 50,000 people.

That's too bad because regardless of whatever issues Williams and the Bucs have had with each other, he had a major impact on this franchise. He quarterbacked the Bucs to their first three playoff appearances and became one of the most popular athletes in Tampa Bay history.

Put it this way: He was popular enough and good enough that someone should honor him. Someone like the Bucs.

Fire and ice

Warren Sapp was full of good cheer last week when it was announced the Bucs were retiring his number and putting him into their Ring of Honor. He praised former coach Tony Dungy. He praised former coach Jon Gruden, adding (in a good way), "He was a nut.'' He even praised the late kooky owner of the Raiders, Al Davis. But when asked to describe his relationship with former Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, Sapp said, "Fire and ice.'' Huh? "It could be as hot as all outdoors and as cold as the arctic both poles,'' Sapp said. Sapp admitted he and Kiffin had different philosophies on defense, including how to rush the quarterback. But Sapp also pointed out how Kiffin loved the spotlight. How do the two get along today? "We're good,'' Sapp said. "We're not great, but we're good. That's all I can say about it.''

Move on

Rays pitcher David Price went on a Twitter rampage to criticize umpire Tom Hallion after a dustup last week in Chicago. I understand why Price was upset. Hallion verbally accosted Price during a game even though Price never said anything to him. Price claims Hallion cursed at him, and Hallion called Price a "liar.''

Hallion was fined $1,000 (Price was, too, by the way.) Price still wasn't satisfied. He wants Hallion to apologize. And I get it. I wouldn't want anyone calling me a liar either. But Price needs to let it go. Everyone was fined. Now let's move on.

The last thing Price needs at this point is to prolong a feud with an umpire. It serves no purpose. Nothing good can come out of it. Just drop it already.

Bad hit, worse comment

The Senators' Eric Gryba hit the Canadiens' Lars Eller with a blindside shot to the head Thursday night, giving Eller a concussion, facial fractures and severe dental damage. Gryba isn't known as a dirty player, and he likely didn't mean for Eller to be injured. Still, it was a disrespectful hit, the type the NHL is desperately trying to eliminate from the game.

So shame on Ottawa coach Paul MacLean for blaming Montreal's Raphael Diaz for passing the puck and putting Eller in a vulnerable position kind of like a quarterback leading a receiver into a hard-hitting defender. When the coaches and players make excuses and can't show the proper respect for each other, these ugly incidents will continue to happen.

Three things that popped into my head

1. Once again, the Redskins' nickname is under scrutiny because it is offensive to Native Americans. The name is never going to be changed. Still, I find it outrageous when those out there tell others they shouldn't be offended by something. Non-Native Americans not finding it offensive doesn't mean a thing. If Native Americans are offended by that name, who is anyone to tell them they shouldn't?

2. Last April, the Blue Jays were 12-11. This April, after all the offseason trades and signings, the Jays were 10-17.

3. For those who think NBA player Jason Collins announced he was gay so he could cash in financially, you should know this: Collins has made more than $32 million over his career. He doesn't need the money.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 05, 2013, 01:14:13 AM

I think he belongs in there.  My dad was always a big Doug Williams fan when I was growing up.

But having said that, you have to be careful who you put in there, or it gets diluted pretty bad.  Same with retiring numbers.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Runole

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 05, 2013, 08:32:36 AM

Agree with the writer...  Williams indeed does belong in the ring and had it not been for idiocy of the organization a lot of the lost decade and half possibly wouldn't have happened. Of course looking at some of the head coaching hires that still may not have been possible.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#3 : May 05, 2013, 08:50:58 AM

for a franchise with only one Super Bowl, they will place a lot of players/coaches/owner on their Ring of Honor - the number is equivalent to dynasty teams......some franchises only have a couple of names and have been around years longer than the Bucs.....and the Steelers have no ROH unless I"m mistaken.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 05, 2013, 08:51:02 AM

I don't understand the love for Doug Williams. He completed 37% of his passes in his first year and never exceeded 49% for the Bucs. He couldn't manage even a single TD in the NCC game against the Rams, and then there's "The Curse". Let the Redskins put him in their ROH. He might actually deserve it there. I'd rather see Brad Johnson get in.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 05, 2013, 08:56:14 AM

Think he is a borderline candidate.  Agreed I think Brad Johnson is more deserving. 

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 05, 2013, 09:24:50 AM

A glance at his career stats as a Buccaneer. 47% completion, 73/73 td-int., QB rating of 66 and 1-3 in the playoffs.

People are living a revisionist fantasy when it comes to Williams. He does not belong in the Bucs ROH.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 05, 2013, 09:46:54 AM

Well they did make the playoffs 3 out of his 4 years.  Before him the Bucs were the worst team the NFL has ever seen snd after him they were the laughingstock of the league for 15 years. 

Diabolitio

Rookie

#8 : May 05, 2013, 09:55:51 AM

Put it this way: He was popular enough and good enough that someone should honor him. Someone like the Bucs.

Meh......I don't get the Williams love. He was nothing more than average in Florida Orange and took advantage of a solid D and good running game while here. He then moves on to a juggernaut, beats out a doofus amongst a team of champions and is able to guide the ship in without screwing it up. Kudos for being the first to do something that had never been done before, but Doug Williams being in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ROH cheapens the honor.

Washington can stick him in their ROH.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 05, 2013, 10:00:52 AM

Well they did make the playoffs 3 out of his 4 years.  Before him the Bucs were the worst team the NFL has ever seen snd after him they were the laughingstock of the league for 15 years.

I agree, they had a very good defense and a strong run game. So much so it overcame William's miserable performance.

The debate is about Williams not the rest of the team and as such he simply doesn't belong in ROH.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#10 : May 05, 2013, 10:03:59 AM

The dude sucked as a Buc.  May as well throw Vinny and Trent up there as well.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 05, 2013, 10:07:09 AM

If these boards had existed when Williams was QB of this team they would have crashed every Sunday evening from people complaining about his miserable ass.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#12 : May 05, 2013, 10:21:55 AM

Still think we have too many names going up on this ROH, but for most of you who became Buc fans only after the January 2002-3, Doug was the face of the organization along w/ LeeRoy. Black QBs were very far and few in between back then and to start as a Black QB in redneckville Tampa was a major accomplishment in itself.  The guy took major abuse both on and off the field and brought this team to its first playoff seasons.   Without looking at stats - because he QB'd pretty pathetic teams - was a major accomplishment.

But then again, don't think all these names belong up there anyway.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 05, 2013, 10:35:06 AM

What is the criteria for the ROH?  Is it defined like the Gators ring?  There should be some minimum achievements to be placed.

I do not think DW is ROH worthy here in Tampa. 

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 05, 2013, 10:41:30 AM

And hopefully it will remain missing.
    The only thing positive I can say about him is he was a warrior. As a Buc QB, he was not very good...
Page: 1 2 3 ... 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: One name remains missing from the Ring « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools