Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Assessing the Damage « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #15 : May 05, 2013, 02:52:42 PM »

all 17 of those ints were the fault of our poor secondary..... i thought everyone knew that.

Lol!!!

Draft Aaron Donald

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #16 : May 05, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »

all 17 of those ints were the fault of our poor secondary..... i thought everyone knew that.

Brees tosses up that many almost every season, yet they win games (most of the time). Their defense gave up some whopping yardage, but they can also manufacture turnovers periodically.

QB's cannot get by too well if the defense isn't good. It's probably one of the very reasons manning chose the broncos over other teams.

Playing catch-up is a rediculious way to live as a QB, and that's exactly what freeman was doing all season long and most of his career.

Of the teams in the sweepstakes, Manning chose the 24th ranked scoring defense (broncos) over the 2nd (49ers), 6th (dolphins) and 8th (titans)...

Hoist the Battleflag

gone

Hall of Famer
« #17 : May 05, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »

"Verdict: This one is on Josh as well, there was a fairly open receiver and he failed to deliver a catchable pass in a key situation."

and that sums up why I don't and never have thought Freeman is a good QB. That happens on a regular basis with Freeman. Not to mention the countless times he limits his options to one side of the field and just neglects the fact that receivers are running routes on the other side, as well as Doug Martin who is possibly the Bucs biggest play maker. They Ravens have made it a priority to quickly dump it off to Ray Rice if people are not open. Even having Rice as the number 1 option is often in Flaco's mind. I can't stand it when I see Doug Martin wide open with Freeman not realizing. chances are that Doug Martin wide open would equal a first down with the possibility of a game changing play.

Freeman has proven he can utilize a dump-off option he trusts.  A quarter way thru last year Martin led the entire league in drops, and Freeman clearly lost faith in him.

And yet another name is added to the list of people who are to blame for Freeman's failures.  I expect George Bush had something to do with it too.
« : May 05, 2013, 05:25:31 PM caradoc »

gone

Hall of Famer
« #18 : May 05, 2013, 05:25:01 PM »

These are all situations where the coaching staff needs to help Freeman with this off season. The return of Nicks and Joseph should hopefully help the pressure situations up the middle that caused some of Josh's poor throws. Sullivan and McNulty need to work on those situations where when under pressure, taking a sack, running or throwing the ball away rather than attempting to force a throw into a tight window.

>>  Josh proved that his mistakes would come more frequently when the team was down. He had so many successful comebacks early in his career that he almost certainly takes it upon himself to get the team back into games, and this leads to poor decisions as he tries to play beyond his abilities and force plays that aren’t there. <<

And yes Hate, this statement would appear to confirm that the defense plays it's part in Josh's decision making. I'm not attempting to defend it (as other's have noted it as well), it's a issue that he needs to fix (and he said the that at the PR draft party), he attempts to do too much. Again, this is something that good OC's help their quarterback with by calling safer plays or putting them in situations where they maximize the chance for success. I think we all forget that Sullivan was a 1st year Offensive Coordinator last season and he had his share of bad play calls as well.

Bottom line is that Freeman does need to make better decisions, especially in pressure situations where his mechanics tend to break down. Recognizing those situations is what the coaching staff needs to work on with him this off season and determining a better list of options rather than forcing a pass. I'm a big believer in Sullivan and from some of the things that Sullivan has said in the past about knowing your weaknesses and training it to become a strength, I believe Freeman will improve.

JMO.

Most of Freeman's allegedly "good" play comes when the team is down too.  And it's not the defense's fault either.  It's because Josh sucks rocks when he;s trying to do the things a typical good QB does.  He can't play a conservative game, a safe game, a game where he converts third downs and moves the team down the field consistently.

Take a look at the Denver and Philly games.  He simply and completely sucked for the majority of both games and left his defense hanging.  Then when he had nothing left to lose he cut loose, chucked it up and got lucky.  Of course, you don't always get lucky and that is when he tosses all those INTs. He is consistently the same guy, it's only the results which differ.  Which is why people who are critical of him realize he will never win consistently.  ANd you get lucky against the good teams a lot less than the bad ones, which is very clearly reflected in his record.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #19 : May 05, 2013, 05:36:17 PM »

These are all situations where the coaching staff needs to help Freeman with this off season. The return of Nicks and Joseph should hopefully help the pressure situations up the middle that caused some of Josh's poor throws. Sullivan and McNulty need to work on those situations where when under pressure, taking a sack, running or throwing the ball away rather than attempting to force a throw into a tight window.

>>  Josh proved that his mistakes would come more frequently when the team was down. He had so many successful comebacks early in his career that he almost certainly takes it upon himself to get the team back into games, and this leads to poor decisions as he tries to play beyond his abilities and force plays that aren’t there. <<

And yes Hate, this statement would appear to confirm that the defense plays it's part in Josh's decision making. I'm not attempting to defend it (as other's have noted it as well), it's a issue that he needs to fix (and he said the that at the PR draft party), he attempts to do too much. Again, this is something that good OC's help their quarterback with by calling safer plays or putting them in situations where they maximize the chance for success. I think we all forget that Sullivan was a 1st year Offensive Coordinator last season and he had his share of bad play calls as well.

Bottom line is that Freeman does need to make better decisions, especially in pressure situations where his mechanics tend to break down. Recognizing those situations is what the coaching staff needs to work on with him this off season and determining a better list of options rather than forcing a pass. I'm a big believer in Sullivan and from some of the things that Sullivan has said in the past about knowing your weaknesses and training it to become a strength, I believe Freeman will improve.

JMO.

Most of Freeman's allegedly "good" play comes when the team is down too.  And it's not the defense's fault either.  It's because Josh sucks rocks when he;s trying to do the things a typical good QB does.  He can't play a conservative game, a safe game, a game where he converts third downs and moves the team down the field consistently.

Take a look at the Denver and Philly games.  He simply and completely sucked for the majority of both games and left his defense hanging.  Then when he had nothing left to lose he cut loose, chucked it up and got lucky.  Of course, you don't always get lucky and that is when he tosses all those INTs. He is consistently the same guy, it's only the results which differ.  Which is why people who are critical of him realize he will never win consistently.  ANd you get lucky against the good teams a lot less than the bad ones, which is very clearly reflected in his record.

DING DING DING.. He cannot play the intermediate game and eat clock with any passing game. If the run doesnt work its a 3 and out FAR to often.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #20 : May 05, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »

Kind of sums up the whole article...IMO

Summation of the article is that 5 or 6 of the INTs at the end of the season weren't even his fault.

You should of included the rest of the quote.

Freeman showed that he was unable to handle pressure well

Kind of sums up the whole article...IMO

Or you disagree?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #21 : May 05, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »

Brees........

I stopped reading right there

-------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #22 : May 05, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »

I just hope he comes out this season,  a new and improved version of 2012 Freeman.  Too much to ask?  Probably, but hope springs eternal.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #23 : May 05, 2013, 07:33:14 PM »

I just hope he comes out this season,  a new and improved version of 2012 Freeman.  Too much to ask?  Probably, but hope springs eternal.

I would assume we all hope that cuz the team is rolling with him this year for sure.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #24 : May 05, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »

Scary thing is he continues to leave the team wondering if he really is the guy or not. I imagine if he doesnt seal the deal then they are going in another direction and not taking an even longer look via the franchise tag next year.

Mean D

Pro Bowler

« #25 : May 05, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »

"Verdict: This one is on Josh as well, there was a fairly open receiver and he failed to deliver a catchable pass in a key situation."

and that sums up why I don't and never have thought Freeman is a good QB. That happens on a regular basis with Freeman. Not to mention the countless times he limits his options to one side of the field and just neglects the fact that receivers are running routes on the other side, as well as Doug Martin who is possibly the Bucs biggest play maker. They Ravens have made it a priority to quickly dump it off to Ray Rice if people are not open. Even having Rice as the number 1 option is often in Flaco's mind. I can't stand it when I see Doug Martin wide open with Freeman not realizing. chances are that Doug Martin wide open would equal a first down with the possibility of a game changing play.

Freeman has proven he can utilize a dump-off option he trusts.  A quarter way thru last year Martin led the entire league in drops, and Freeman clearly lost faith in him.

And yet another name is added to the list of people who are to blame for Freeman's failures.  I expect George Bush had something to do with it too.

Any moment now I expect to see alldaway or the grimmweeper blame Freeman's shortcomings on global warming.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

« #26 : May 05, 2013, 08:33:16 PM »

4000 yards, 31 TDs, 10 INTs? Is that good enough?

Mr. Milich

Hall of Famer
« #27 : May 05, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »

This may be the stupidest thing I've seen on this board.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #28 : May 05, 2013, 09:04:28 PM »

This may be the stupidest thing I've seen on this board.

why, thank you!!

-------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #29 : May 05, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »

4000 yards, 31 TDs, 10 INTs? Is that good enough?

I am more concerned with him playing consistently well.  Not so much the numbers.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Assessing the Damage « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools