Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MLB/SLB IMPROVEMENTS « previous next »
Page: 1 2

STRICK-9

Starter

: May 05, 2013, 07:47:59 AM

One of the positions I thought we'd target in the off-season, and more specifically in the draft, is our current depth at the Middle & Strongside Linebacker positions.  While some may suggest the addition of Casillas is an instant upgrade over Quincy Black, I believe Casillas is nothing more than a journey-man serving as a stop gap.  Another question posed over the past two seasons is whether Mason Foster is best suited at the Mike or Strongside position. 

One way this team could instantly improve is signing Karlos Dansby.  Dansby has played virtually every LB position in a 4-3 Defense; however, the past two seasons in Miami have proven he's a very productive MLB.  I personally would love to see the Bucs sign him to a 3 year contract, facilitating a move of Foster the SLB position.  Dansby is presently 31 years old, and his acquisition would afford us some time to find a true Mike backer...while serving as a force in both Run and Pass defense.  Dansby has over a 100 tackles and multiple Pass Defense abilities. 

What say you Buc fans? 

I don\'t believe in the Electric Chair...I believe in Electric Bleachers!

nitey

Hall of Famer
#1 : May 05, 2013, 08:32:52 AM

I've always liked Dansby and would be thrilled if the Bucs signed him, but I suspect the Bucs are happy with David and Foster in the middle and feel that someone already on the roster will step up and play well in the SLB position. At this point, I think the Bucs are going to be very guarded on how they spend their remaining cap dollars and will try to save as much as possible to be carried over into next year. They are going to give a new contract to Williams and have McCoy and Freeman's contracts coming up next year (assuming that the Bucs re-sign Freeman which I think is a strong possibility). Adding a contract with Dansby is just something I don't see Dom/Schiano doing. Wherever they can save cap dollars with players already on the team I think they will do that.

If they do sign Dansby, I suspect it will be after the team OTA's and the coaches don't feel anyone will step up enough to play SLB, then it will probably be a 1-year deal at best. But, I'd rate the chances at it happening at slim and none.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 05, 2013, 08:36:41 AM

If we are going to spend more money it should be on Freeney.  Don't want the success of this team resting on Bowers and Clayborn raising their game significantly and staying healthy. 

nitey

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 05, 2013, 09:03:19 AM

I agree Skull, if the Bucs sign any one remaining vet, I would love to see them spend money and sign Freeney.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 05, 2013, 09:22:05 AM

Mason is a Mike and a good one ...can we put that Mason to SAM crap to bed , please.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 05, 2013, 09:24:55 AM

Mason is a Mike and a good one ...can we put that Mason to SAM crap to bed , please.

No... because it's a viable option.  He had better production coming off the edge in college.  That's something the Bucs could use, no?

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 05, 2013, 09:47:17 AM

It's only a viable option in your mind ....the Bucs have not indicated that the thought has even crossed their mind. If it ain't broke why fix it . Mason did a great job in the middle last season.  Meanwhile , SAM is a position that isn't even on the field 50% of the time .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 05, 2013, 09:49:34 AM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap1000000067828/RG3-s-game-winning-drive

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.

youngone

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 05, 2013, 10:32:01 AM

This

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 05, 2013, 10:42:04 AM

casillas is a stopgap for a year. there are a ton of good linebackers coming up next year and we can get one then. you guys act like SAM is the most important position in our defense. when was the last time we had a great SAM backer anyway? answer me that

next years group is loaded

Kyle Van Noy BYU
Christian Jones FSU
CJ Mosley Alabama
Anthony Barr UCLA
Jeremiah Attaouchu Georgia Tech

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 05, 2013, 10:42:53 AM

It's only a viable option in your mind ....the Bucs have not indicated that the thought has even crossed their mind. If it ain't broke why fix it . Mason did a great job in the middle last season.  Meanwhile , SAM is a position that isn't even on the field 50% of the time .

comepletely agree thankyou

idliketoproposeatoast

Second String

#11 : May 05, 2013, 11:48:26 AM

casillas is a stopgap for a year. there are a ton of good linebackers coming up next year and we can get one then. you guys act like SAM is the most important position in our defense. when was the last time we had a great SAM backer anyway? answer me that

next years group is loaded

Kyle Van Noy BYU
Christian Jones FSU
CJ Mosley Alabama
Anthony Barr UCLA
Jeremiah Attaouchu Georgia Tech

Don't know much about the kid from GTech but those first 4 look like theyre going to be studs, obviously its verrry early but now that we won't be in the market for a QB, i'm hoping we pick up one of those guys in the first round

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 05, 2013, 12:15:26 PM

GT runs a 3-4 and Attouchu is an olb for them. GT isnt a team many non-fans watch and they sucked last year but he had 10 sacks last year and 4 multisack games. kid is underrrated and flying under the radar at this point but trust me, scouts know his name

The Freeman

Starter

#13 : May 05, 2013, 12:15:46 PM

+
Khalil Mack  Buffalo
A.J. Johnson Tennessee (jr)
Ryan Shazier Ohio State (jr)
Eric Kendricks UCLA (jr)
Dion Bailey USC (jr)
Jonathan Brown Illinois
Max Bullough Michigan State
Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
Derrell Johnson East Carolina
Avery Williamson, Kentucky
Anthony Hitchens Iowa
: May 05, 2013, 12:25:29 PM The Freeman

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#14 : May 05, 2013, 12:44:42 PM

For those who love Foster, can you say you are truly happy with his cover skills? He's not exactly the best fit for as much nickel and dime that we run.
That said, I don't see us doing much else at LB.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: MLB/SLB IMPROVEMENTS « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools