Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting comments from Sapp « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
: May 05, 2013, 08:00:27 AM

On the NFLN.  Mostly being interviewed for having his jersey retired he was asked how good the Bucs could be now with Revis and Goldson.  His reply was they are only going to be as good as the front end  The front and the back end must work together.  He then made a comment about Bennett leaving.   He also said Freeman  needs to call his own off season camp and start working with his receivers like the elite QBs do and how he has never seem that grab the bull by the horns mentality from Josh.
: May 05, 2013, 08:09:39 AM Skull and Bones

nitey

Hall of Famer
#1 : May 05, 2013, 08:25:24 AM

Skull, read the last chat with Mark Cook. Mark debunked Sapp's statement about Freeman not working with his receivers. While Sapp is correct that Josh is not a vocal leader, and probably never will be, he does have the respect of his offense in the huddle. Freeman's problems, IMO is not really leadership, it's mechanics that tend to break down in the face of pressure up the middle. The more pressure that comes at him that way, the more his mechanics break down and the more inaccurate he gets. A healthy Nicks, Zuttah and Joseph this year I suspect will lead to a more consistent Josh.

However, I do agree with Sapp about the front line. I saw that interview as well and he called out Bowers as the guy that needed to step up this year. If he does, I think the defensive line will be okay, it not, or if he gets injured, I still think the defense will be better because of the improvements on the back end, but it will be far from what they could be with a healthy focused Bowers.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 05, 2013, 08:48:56 AM

Sapp is such a hater! What a troll! lol

I couldn't agree more with all of his statements.

Draft Aaron Donald

BlackBeard

Rookie

#3 : May 05, 2013, 08:51:31 AM

On the NFLN.  Mostly being interviewed for having his jersey retired he was asked how good the Bucs could be now with Revis and Goldson.  His reply was they are only going to be as good as the front end  The front and the back end must work together.  He then made a comment about Bennett leaving.   He also said Freeman  needs to call his own off season camp and start working with his receivers like the elite QBs do and how he has never seem that grab the bull by the horns mentality from Josh.

I may be mistaken but didn't Free do this during the lockout a couple of years back?

nitey

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 05, 2013, 09:02:05 AM

Yes he did and last season I remember Jackson saying that he and Williams were working out with Freeman before training camp. Sapp was wrong about this statement.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#5 : May 05, 2013, 10:19:36 AM

Sapp making an incorrect statement.  No way!

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 05, 2013, 11:06:18 AM

The old phrase "thinking on your feet" applies to the elite QBs, and is where Josh too often trips up. When things don't go as planned, the QB needs to figure something out FAST to salvage a play and NOT make the situation worse. Hopefully Josh will turn the page this year, or we could see Glennon earlier than we think...
     Yes, I think it was the lockout season when Josh got together with his receivers; maybe Sapp didn't know about that...

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#7 : May 05, 2013, 11:13:34 AM

His freeman comment was more of a thrown in at the end.  The more interesting comment was how unless Bowers and the DL don't vastly improve the new additions in the secondary wont really matter.  Now this shouldn't be a new revolution to anyone but it does seem to be ignored for the most part on this board in the excitement of the Revis trade.  Dom and Schiano apparently seem willing to place their fates in this group but they (especially Dom) have miscalculated before.  I don't feel comfortable with this front end. 

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 05, 2013, 11:16:53 AM

I may be mistaken but didn't Free do this during the lockout a couple of years back?

Absolutely. And he did it before many of the other teams caught on that they legally could.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#9 : May 05, 2013, 11:20:02 AM

That camp was also pretty much a disorganized mess.  Though without much veteran presence I guess that should have been expected. 

Netwalker

Rookie

#10 : May 05, 2013, 11:35:00 AM

Skull, really?

"The more interesting comment was how unless Bowers and the DL don't vastly improve the new additions in the secondary wont really matter.  Now this shouldn't be a new revolution to anyone..."

Adding two all pro defensive backs and a Jim Thorpe award winner won't matter?  The worst pass defense imaginable last year filled with rookies and second rate players, a new secondary coach and likely scheme adjustments, and it won't matter unless the D-line 'vastly' improves?  Six losses by less than 7 points, even with such a secondary mess, and this kind of upgrade won't matter?    Interesting take.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 05, 2013, 11:50:42 AM

The impact will be greatly reduced without a pass rush.  Yes I believe that and do does Sapp. 

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 05, 2013, 12:51:55 PM

The impact will be greatly reduced without a pass rush.  Yes I believe that and do does Sapp.

And the inverse applies.. the pass rush will greatly improve with corners that can cover.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 05, 2013, 01:07:20 PM

If a fan doesn't think we should be improved with our additions they have their head in the sand. How much we will improve we will soon find out.

I guess much also depends on your expectations.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 05, 2013, 01:10:25 PM

We've had 50 combined sacks in the last two seasons which is easily the worst in the NFL. Outside of a 5th round flyer on Means, we did zero to improve that pass rush. In fact, we let our best pass rusher go in free agency. Any fan that doesn't see this as a potential problem, must have their head in the sand.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting comments from Sapp « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools