Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The 2nd Amendment « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 28 29 30

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#435 : May 02, 2013, 03:07:37 PM

Saying Chicago has a lot of gun restrictions is like saying assault weapons used to be banned in this country.  Neither is true if one looks beyond USA Today.

lolz

well, admittedly I am assuming one at least looks at USA Today . One has to be willing to consider information that doesnt conform to the point of view. It's out there and easy to find.  It took me a couple second to find this Reader's Digest summary debunking or contradicting the "argument" you alluded to:

""But Chicago is more violent than Houston!"

In the US gun laws are not uniform between or even within states. Chicago has tight gun laws, but the rest of Illinois does not and neither does Indiana. It was found that many of Chicago's guns come from surrounding areas in the state or Indiana. Firearms travel from areas with loose gun laws to those with tight laws. Weak national regulations undermine attempts at gun control everywhere. The number of illegal firearms in circulation is a testament to the inadequacy of national gun laws. Most gun violence occurs with such weapons. There are also other factors that determine gun violence, but the guns themselves cannot be excused."

The rest of Illinois and Indiana = open windows and doors

It's not tough, you just have to be looking at things objectively rather than arguing a defense from fear.  Here'e more, acquired in about 20 seconds:

"4. In high-crime urban neighborhoods, guns are as easy to get as fast food.

There are roughly 250 to 300 million guns in circulation in the United States. That number strikes some as so high that regulation seems futile. Opponents of gun control cite the sentiment of one Chicago gang member, who said in a 1992 newspaper interview that buying a gun is "like going through the drive-through window. Give me some fries, a Coke and a 9-millimeter."

Our own study of the underground gun market in Chicago, with Columbia sociologist Sudhir Venkatesh and Harvard criminologist Anthony Braga, contradicts this claim. Handguns that can be bought legally for around $100 sell on the street in Chicago for $250 to $400. Surveys of people who have been arrested find that a majority of those who didn't own a gun at the time of their arrest, but who would want one, say it would take more than a week to get one. Some people who can't find a gun on the street hire a broker in the underground market to help them get one. It costs more and takes more time to get guns in the underground market -- evidence that gun regulations do make some difference."

Gun restriction -  even "fake" or incomplete ones have an impact. 

here it comes . .
: May 02, 2013, 03:10:36 PM VinBucFan

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

spartan

Hall of Famer
#436 : May 02, 2013, 04:25:00 PM

here it comes . .

As you can tell in Chicago ...

I don't want to state the obvious, but these are people who would not be able to legally buy a gun now under current laws because they have prior arrests, gang members etc.  So adding more laws is going to achieve what?

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#437 : May 02, 2013, 04:37:02 PM

here it comes . .

I don't want to state the obvious, but these are people who would not be able to legally buy a gun now under current laws because they have prior arrests, gang members etc.  So adding more laws is going to achieve what?

1. as the quote I posted shows gun RESTRICTIONS do make things harder

2. There are effectively no "current laws" that restrict guns because, as I posted, the "walls" are up but all the windows and doors are open. If somebody wants a gun in Chicago, they just leave the city limits.  That's not that hard.

Legislators, who are motivated to save their jobs and terrified of the NRA pass laws that do very little BY DESIGN. Its kabuki theater. As I stated, the prior "assault rifle" ban didn't actually ban most assault rifles.  The fact that someone can just leave the city limits is why the "Chicago" argument is  . .  well ..  . dumb.  That doesnnt stop it from being repeated . .over and over

All one has to do is look outside the US at similar countries and the impact of restricted access is obvious.

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

spartan

Hall of Famer
#438 : May 02, 2013, 08:54:23 PM

And my point the guy who buys his burger, french fries and 9mm is already subject to those restrictions regardless of where he is. Be it Chicago, Florida or Utah. Therefore introducing more restrictions is going to do what to him? Nothing.

As I said in page 1 of this or some other similar thread, there is only one solution to this kind of problem and that is a complete ban on firearms. Until that happens introducing laws for the sake of introducing laws is pointless.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#439 : May 03, 2013, 12:05:05 AM

And my point the guy who buys his burger, french fries and 9mm is already subject to those restrictions regardless of where he is. Be it Chicago, Florida or Utah. Therefore introducing more restrictions is going to do what to him? Nothing.

As I said in page 1 of this or some other similar thread, there is only one solution to this kind of problem and that is a complete ban on firearms. Until that happens introducing laws for the sake of introducing laws is pointless.

30,000+ deaths a year = plenty of room for improvement.  We don't need to reject all restrictions because none are guaranteed to take that number to ZERO

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#440 : May 03, 2013, 12:24:09 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/ky-child-shooting-part-urban-rural-gun-debate-085327467.html

spartan

Hall of Famer
#441 : May 03, 2013, 09:01:55 AM

30,000+ deaths a year = plenty of room for improvement.  We don't need to reject all restrictions because none are guaranteed to take that number to ZERO

It is not a case of rejecting ALL restrictions, it's a case of rejecting pointless and ineffective restrictions. Come up with something that might look effective and I will listen, right now people people are coming up with restrictions that will do absolutely nothing to solve or effect the problem at hand.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#442 : May 03, 2013, 09:59:08 AM

here it comes . .

Nada.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#443 : May 03, 2013, 11:56:30 AM

More laws provides the coward his/her false sense of security,  of course.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#444 : May 03, 2013, 02:37:00 PM

It is not a case of rejecting ALL restrictions, it's a case of rejecting pointless and ineffective restrictions. Come up with something that might look effective and I will listen, right now people people are coming up with restrictions that will do absolutely nothing to solve or effect the problem at hand.

That all sounds good, but gun advocates reject every comprehensive restriction as incomplete, unnecessary or overly burdensome.  Universal background checks is the classic example

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#445 : May 03, 2013, 02:40:14 PM

More laws provides the coward his/her false sense of security,  of course.

very true because the "cowards" are the people in your government. 

When someone can explain to me a reasonable basis for the government requiring that ATF to include a disclaimer on gun data --- other than trying to hide the truth -- well, then we might be getting somewhere.  Its not going to happen.  There is n ot other explanation.

The government represents the interests of the people that get them re-elected not the people that vote.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#446 : May 03, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

He's a pansy boy.
: May 03, 2013, 09:36:38 PM Durango 95

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#447 : May 05, 2013, 12:34:38 AM

Serious semi-related question.  When the NRA is facing the biggest threat to what they stand for in quite a while....why did they just elect someone who is basically a crazy radical as president of their organization?

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#448 : May 05, 2013, 12:47:30 AM

Serious semi-related question.  When the NRA is facing the biggest threat to what they stand for in quite a while....why did they just elect someone who is basically a crazy radical as president of their organization?

further evidence of the disconnect between leadership and rank and file. Porter is an insider's insider and much the mold of Wayne

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#449 : May 06, 2013, 10:44:26 PM

Ran across this:
Libertarian activist and radio host, Adam Kokesh plans to lead an armed march on Washington, D.C. this Independence Day.

Launched as a group on Facebook, the "Open Carry March on Washington" hopes to get 1,000 supporters to march into the nation's capital with loaded rifles.

The group plans to meet at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. From there, they will march across the Memorial Bridge into Washington, D.C. and continue down Independence Avenue.

While Virginia permits open carry, Washington, D.C. does not issue any permit/licenses to carry a firearm.

The Facebook page states:

"This is an act of civil disobedience, not a permitted event. We will march with rifles loaded & slung across our backs to put the government on notice that we will not be intimidated & cower in submission to tyranny."

The event is said to be non-violent and states that if the group is met with physical resistance, they will turn back.

"There's a remote chance that there will be violence as there has been from government before, and I think it should be clear that if anyone involved in this event is approached respectfully by agents of the state, they will submit to arrest without resisting," the event's page reads.

The event is open to unarmed supporters, journalists and welcomes law enforcement officers to join.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/radio-host-lead-armed-march-dc-july-4th-put-govt-notice-we-wont-be

I don't know if the stupidity of this matches the stupidity of what is driving this.  On one hand, they get to demonstrate that open carry is legal and safe  in Virginia. Then, there is the possibility of a dangerous confrontation given the laws in DC.  I hope they reconsider.

We will be Carolina ready when we are Carolina ready.
Page: 1 ... 28 29 30
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The 2nd Amendment « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools