Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Negotiations with Mike Williams not going well? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 08, 2013, 11:03:25 AM

I don't disagree on his worth but my fear is MW and his agent might.  All it takes is one wr starved team to overpay.

Exactly.

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
#31 : May 08, 2013, 11:06:40 AM

I don't disagree on his worth but my fear is MW and his agent might.  All it takes is one wr starved team to overpay.

True but after this season's free agency I'm not sure players and agents are willing to gamble on the open market to try and get an extra 2 per season. No doubt Englehard has an inflated value of what MW is worth and the Bucs are on the low end. But that is why it is a negotiation. And yes he has been close, but Williams has yet to have a 1,000 season. Hard to justify $8 million for No. 2 production. But we know the Bucs want to keep him.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#32 : May 08, 2013, 11:26:23 AM

True but after this season's free agency I'm not sure players and agents are willing to gamble on the open market to try and get an extra 2 per season. No doubt Englehard has an inflated value of what MW is worth and the Bucs are on the low end. But that is why it is a negotiation. And yes he has been close, but Williams has yet to have a 1,000 season. Hard to justify $8 million for No. 2 production. But we know the Bucs want to keep him.

Wallace broke 1000 yards twice, but how much how to do with Bruce Arians' system? Look at what the Indy WRs did this year. Williams ability to make a play on the ball in the air is fantastic, and comparable to some receivers that are much bigger than he is. For the Bucs to contend this year they are going to have to get increased offensive production. Without a clear starting TE or #3 WR at this point, the most likely player to be able to increase his production is Williams. If Williams gets around 1200 yards and again breaks 10 TDs, plus continues to make the number of highlight catches that he averages per year, he will get $10+ million from someone in 2014. IMO if the Bucs can lock him up at around $8 million they should. What if Williams puts up better numbers than Jackson this year?

Without Williams and his ability to go get the ball the last few years, what would Freeman's numbers have looked like?
: May 08, 2013, 11:28:29 AM BucsBay

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#33 : May 08, 2013, 12:15:41 PM

Here's a question. If Williams is unsigned going into 2014, would Freeman take less so that they could both come back?

RaHonde Barber

Rookie

#34 : May 08, 2013, 12:21:21 PM

What do people expect from a #3 WR, by the way? Between Underwood, Smith, and Ogletree, I think we're in pretty good shape.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 08, 2013, 12:34:23 PM

What do people expect from a #3 WR, by the way? Between Underwood, Smith, and Ogletree, I think we're in pretty good shape.
in that giants offense we are trying to become both Steve Smith and Victor Cruz would say its very important. 

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#36 : May 08, 2013, 12:39:07 PM

I don't know. What did Mario Manningham do for the 2011 Giants? What did Jacoby Jones do for the 2012 Ravens?

Why do people think we can be one of the best offenses in the league without significant contributions from TE or 3rd WR?

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 08, 2013, 12:54:03 PM

I don't know. What did Mario Manningham do for the 2011 Giants? What did Jacoby Jones do for the 2012 Ravens?

Why do people think we can be one of the best offenses in the league without significant contributions from TE or 3rd WR?

The "3rd WR" isn't exactly my problem.  My problem is that there's absolutely no depth what-so-ever.  What if Williams or Jackson gets hurt?  Guys like Underwood, Ogletree, and Smith do not belong starting for any team for any stretch of time.  I'd even argue that guys like Smith and Underwood don't even belong on an NFL roster.  Williams is a free agent after this season... what if he leaves?  Draft a 1st rd WR next year?  Let's say they sign Williams to an extension.  How about if a guy like Keenan Allen shows that he can start in 2014?  You can trade Jackson, get more picks, and with the financial savings, they can address another position of need.  It's possible that the drafting of Keenan Allen (or Terrence Williams), in the 3rd round this draft, could have gotten you 3 or 4 extra players next year.  By that, I mean trading Jackson for 2 picks and having $10M+ to sign a quality player or 2.  Right now, I'd say that the entire success of this team relies solely on the health of Jackson and Williams.  If one of those 2 get hurt, the entire offense will struggle to score points.  In other words, the lack of quality WR's on this team leaves no safety net.  Basically, it's boom or bust.
: May 08, 2013, 12:57:04 PM TBayXXXVII

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 08, 2013, 12:58:57 PM

I think it's completely possible MW doesn't get a new contract.

In light of this "tweet" stuff (which I put NO stock in), he was demoted, has been playing for little compared to his shown abilities, and the minute he didn't put up a thousand yard season he was pushed out the door for Optimus Prime. So there is deffinately a rift, if MW wants there to be one.

A lowball offer could send him running, never to look back. Plus, next years crop of WR's don't look too shabby either, and they'll be cheaper.

I don't think it would be the right way to go, but those are possibilities.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#39 : May 08, 2013, 01:00:53 PM

I'm not going to quote you to save space TBayXXXVII, but you have a little bit of fantasy football mixed with doom and gloom there. We still have one of the best starting 2 in the league. No reason to push the panic button.

And we could have drafted Keenan Allen in the 3rd. There is a reason he fell that far. He's not near the talent that Williams or Jackson are.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 08, 2013, 01:07:44 PM

I'm not going to quote you to save space TBayXXXVII, but you have a little bit of fantasy football mixed with doom and gloom there. We still have one of the best starting 2 in the league. No reason to push the panic button.

And we could have drafted Keenan Allen in the 3rd. There is a reason he fell that far. He's not near the talent that Williams or Jackson are.

Williams was drafted in the 4th.  Why can't Allen, who went in the 3rd not be as good?  Also, having a backup plan or safety net is never a bad thing.  Completely relying on your starters is never a good thing.  At QB, I can understand that to an extent, but not any of the other positions.  That's just careless.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 08, 2013, 01:11:50 PM

As I've been saying, SLOT WR is the new #2 in the evolving NFL.

Not shocked at all-- on top of the real issues AS USUAL!  :-***CENSORED**es

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 08, 2013, 01:38:13 PM

Williams was drafted in the 4th.  Why can't Allen, who went in the 3rd not be as good?  Also, having a backup plan or safety net is never a bad thing.  Completely relying on your starters is never a good thing.  At QB, I can understand that to an extent, but not any of the other positions.  That's just careless.

Williams fell for off the field issues. Allen fell because he just isn't that physically talented.

How many teams have 2 WRs as good as we do? You can't really call it careless that we don't have a 3rd. They don't grow on trees. We do at least have some guys with potential.

RaHonde Barber

Rookie

#43 : May 08, 2013, 02:32:32 PM

Tiquan Underwood put up almost identical numbers to the guys you mentioned last year. 

RaHonde Barber

Rookie

#44 : May 08, 2013, 02:47:34 PM

Pulled some quick stats on other #3 WRs in our division:

Devery Henderson (NO) 316 YDS 14.4 YPC 1 TD

Harry Douglas (ATL) 396 YDS 10.4 YPC  1 TD

Louis Murphy (CAR) 336 YDS 13.4 YPC 1 TD

Tiquan Underwood (TB) 425 15.2 YPC 2 TD

Tell me again how horrible we are at WR because I'm having trouble grasping it. We have a top notch #1 WR, a top notch #2 WR, a slightly above average #3 WR and we brought in two vets with some history of success to duke it out in training camp for a roster spot, what am I missing?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Negotiations with Mike Williams not going well? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools