Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BUCS HAVE NO INTEREST IN ABRAHAM OR FREENEY « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

freddy

Hall of Famer
#45 : May 08, 2013, 11:19:19 AM

And personally I don't see how adding Abraham and his 10 sacks makes or breaks this defense IF Bowers can generate the same 10 sacks. And at 35, in this style defense, I think 10 sacks would be very hard to get for Abraham who would be a third-down rusher. There is only one RDE spot that plays at a time!

Trust me guys, there is a reason no one has signed the guy. Think about it. Bennett got $5 million with nine sacks and a bad shoulder the first week of free agency. Abraham with 10 sacks has barely got a look. There is a lot more than meets the eye here. And Freeney got five last year. DTN had four for a 1/5th of the money Freeney wants. Just my thoughts.
DTN got a sack roughly every 100 times he rushed the passer. Abraham got a sack roughly every 40 times he rushed the passer. If you move DTN to a reserve role and he continues at the rate he previously played at, he's only getting 1-2 sacks for the whole season.

Abraham also had half of his sacks in the 4th qtr With the Falcons leading, 7 of the 10 in the 2nd half with the lead. He had just a single sack in the 1st qtr last year ond only 2 in the 2nd qtr. Sounds like a DE with a lead and the ability to not worry about the run. I haven't looked yet but I'm sure DTN enjoyed the same situations.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#46 : May 08, 2013, 11:22:23 AM

Lets sum this up very nicely please.

Skull and FRG, are the two of you claiming that if the Bucs sign Abrham or Freeney, then the Bucs are true SB contenders this year?

BTW Skull, that CB will be on the team for 6 years, not just one like Freeney or Abraham. The CB is a long term investment, F and A are not.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#47 : May 08, 2013, 11:29:30 AM

And personally I don't see how adding Abraham and his 10 sacks makes or breaks this defense IF Bowers can generate the same 10 sacks. And at 35, in this style defense, I think 10 sacks would be very hard to get for Abraham who would be a third-down rusher. There is only one RDE spot that plays at a time!

Trust me guys, there is a reason no one has signed the guy. Think about it. Bennett got $5 million with nine sacks and a bad shoulder the first week of free agency. Abraham with 10 sacks has barely got a look. There is a lot more than meets the eye here. And Freeney got five last year. DTN had four for a 1/5th of the money Freeney wants. Just my thoughts.
DTN got a sack roughly every 100 times he rushed the passer. Abraham got a sack roughly every 40 times he rushed the passer. If you move DTN to a reserve role and he continues at the rate he previously played at, he's only getting 1-2 sacks for the whole season.

Abraham also had half of his sacks in the 4th qtr With the Falcons leading, 7 of the 10 in the 2nd half with the lead. He had just a single sack in the 1st qtr last year ond only 2 in the 2nd qtr. Sounds like a DE with a lead and the ability to not worry about the run. I haven't looked yet but I'm sure DTN enjoyed the same situations.

Wait a sec...so the fact that Abraham got a lot of sacks in the 4th quarter when the Falcons are trying to seal and close out the win....and that is a bad thing??

I'm pretty sure we would have loved to have had that ability from a DE a in few games last year.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#48 : May 08, 2013, 11:33:16 AM

Wait a sec...so the fact that Abraham got a lot of sacks in the 4th quarter when the Falcons are trying to seal and close out the win....and that is a bad thing??

I'm pretty sure we would have loved to have had that ability from a DE a in few games last year.
LOL

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#49 : May 08, 2013, 11:39:42 AM

Bad thing? Not at all. Never said such a thing. Not even sure how you twisted my words to think it. Sacks are always good. But let me ask you, which situation is easier to obtain a sack: A) 4th quarter, your team is ahead and the opponent is forced to pass every down or B) You are losing in the 4th and the opposing team is trying to run out the clock by running the ball?

Is it possible that if DTN was in the exact same situation as Abraham last year, he just might have more than 4 sacks?

And no, I'm not comparing DTN to Abraham, FRG did that. I'm pointing out the limited and vague stats provided in that comparision are just that, limited and vague.

DTN is not the answer to the DLine woes, thats true. But Abraham/Freeney is nothing but a one year band-aid anyways, if that.
: May 08, 2013, 11:43:03 AM Freddy

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#50 : May 08, 2013, 11:51:50 AM

Sweet so we can have Aaron Morgan and Steven Means starting at DE after a couple of injuries.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#51 : May 08, 2013, 12:00:34 PM

Sweet so we can have Aaron Morgan and Steven Means starting at DE after a couple of injuries.

Who says that 35 year old Abraham, coming off an ankle injury, won't be injured again either. Maybe his ankle still isn't healed now and thats why teams are staying away from him? Who knows?

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#52 : May 08, 2013, 12:12:02 PM

I am very apprehensive that we will get through 16 weeks without McCoy, Bennet, or Claiborn going on the IR.
Then what?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#53 : May 08, 2013, 12:28:33 PM

Nothing wrong with a bandaid here or there as long as its not most if your team. 

freddy

Hall of Famer
#54 : May 08, 2013, 12:30:57 PM

I am very apprehensive that we will get through 16 weeks without McCoy, Bennet, or Claiborn going on the IR.
Then what?

Freeman, Glennon and the Big O could also go on the IR. What would we do then? We better get Brett Farve out of retirement just in case.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#55 : May 08, 2013, 12:32:02 PM

Even when you compare Abraham to our best pass rusher of last year, Bennett, Abraham was more productive on pass rushing situations. Bennett was in the field for 137 more pass rushing downs, yet Abraham had more sacks, got pressures at a higher rate, batted passes more passes at the LOS than the entire Bucs DL combined.

Sure, Abraham would be a one year player. No one is disputing that.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#56 : May 08, 2013, 12:33:24 PM

Then what?

Freeman, Glennon and the Big O could also go on the IR. What would we do then? We better get Brett Farve out of retirement just in case.

Except with my example, it's based on recent history. Sure, anyone could go on IR but McCoy and Bowers have a history of different injuries. Their health is not reliable IMO

freddy

Hall of Famer
#57 : May 08, 2013, 12:38:16 PM

Nothing wrong with a bandaid here or there as long as its not most if your team.

There is if the bandaid is himself a disgruntled, 35 year old coming off an injury player that wants 5+ million.

If I thought Abraham would be a good mentor to Bowers or Clayborn, I might feel different, but I see Abraham as a me first player.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#58 : May 08, 2013, 12:38:53 PM

Then what?

Except with my example, it's based on recent history. Sure, anyone could go on IR but McCoy and Bowers have a history of different injuries. Their health is not reliable IMO

Abraham has had multiple injuries and is currently coming off an injury.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#59 : May 08, 2013, 12:42:35 PM

Lets sum this up very nicely please.

Skull and FRG, are the two of you claiming that if the Bucs sign Abrham or Freeney, then the Bucs are true SB contenders this year?

BTW Skull, that CB will be on the team for 6 years, not just one like Freeney or Abraham. The CB is a long term investment, F and A are not.
It doesn't matter if I think they're contenders or not. What matters is the GM is going into the fifth season of his rebuild with no playoff appearances and is spending a crap ton of money on a handful of high profile players all hovering around 28-30 years old. They're not going to play a high level forever and some of them are going to have to go in order to give raises to Josh Freeman, Mike Williams, and others down the road. If the Bucs aren't trying to maximize their assets this year when their established players should be at their athletic peaks and their younger players are all still on cheap contracts, when will they? When Dashon Goldson, Vincent Jackson, and Davin Joseph are 32?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BUCS HAVE NO INTEREST IN ABRAHAM OR FREENEY « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools