Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5 Late Round Picks With Pro Bowl Potential « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 09, 2013, 12:02:04 AM

2013 NFL Draft: 5 Late Round Picks With Pro Bowl Potential

By Eric Bendig

May 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Everyone likes to analyze and critique their team's first round draft picks and see who is going to come in right away and help the squad. But the real strategy is finding the players in the later rounds that will fill out your roster and develop.

Scouting departments comb the college football ranks for players who they envision will develop as starters or solid contributors to their ball club.

You hear the great stories of Tom Brady being drafted in the sixth round and becoming one of the best players ever. Although Brady's situation is more of an outlier than the norm, there are always plenty of great stories that come out of the later rounds.

If developed correctly, players that fall through the cracks can become Pro Bowl caliber players in the right situation. Look at sixth round pick Alfred Morris last year to the Washington Redskins for a more recent example.

Here are five

DE Quanterus Smith, 5th Round, Denver Broncos
1 of 5

Smith had his coming out party at the beginning of the 2012 season with a three-sack game against eventual national champion Alabama.

However, while leading the college football world with 12.5 sacks with three games to play in his career, Smith tore his ACL and stunted his pre-draft rise up the boards.

The injury and small school presence is mostly why such a talented pass rusher would fall to the fifth round. However, Smith is a 6'5, 250-pound pass rushing demon who can get after the quarterback with the best of them.

If he adds bulk to his frame he could be elite. Watch for Smith to work his way into the rotation and then take over for incumbent starter, Robert Ayers.

OL Ryan Jensen, 6th Round, Baltimore Ravens
2 of 5

Jensen is a small school guy from Colorado State-Pueblo. So right off the bat he has to fight the skepticism from his college choice.

Jensen is a versatile player, who could easily play guard or center for an NFL team. Jensen is 6'4 and 315 pounds, and has great brute strength. He bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times and is very quick footed.

The Ravens lost Pro-Bowler Matt Birk as their starting center. A good note is that Birk was also a 6th round pick out of a small school and went on to have a wonderful career.

The Ravens are hoping to strike with Jensen in the 6th round as well.

RB Zac Stacy, 5th Round, St. Louis Rams
3 of 5

I have pounded the table for Stacy since the day I started scouting talent this off season, why stop now?

Stacy is a do-it-all back who has great vision - maybe the best in this draft - and good patience and ball skills.

While he lacks the ideal burst and top end speed, he makes up for it with his cutting ability and visual recognition skills of what the defense is giving him.

Stacy is on the short side at 5'8, but he is strong. He breaks through arm tackles and is very good with ball security.

The Rams traded up to get him in the fifth and they should be paid dividends early. Stacy is a high-character guy that could come in and work his way into the starting role by Week 1.

DE Steven Means, 5th Round, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
4 of 5

I have to admit I was not too familiar with Means until he blew up his Pro Day and caused analysts and scouts to clamor for Buffalo film.

What you will find is a raw pass rusher who has the tools to thrive in Greg Schiano's system.

The Bucs lack an elite pass rushing end as we speak. Means, while needing some major coaching up, can bring his 4.6 speed off the edge on pass rushing downs.

The beauty to Means' game is that he also combines great awareness and athleticism to any defense.

Means most likely will start out as a special teams demon, but watch for him to make an impact in the sack column as well.

LB Michael Mauti, 7th Round, Minnesota Vikings
5 of 5

Mauti was the emotional leader of a broken down Penn State football team. He brings the leadership qualities and work ethic that cannot be coached.

Mauti has good overall physical skills, but is far from a great athlete. What he lacks in speed and quickness, he more than makes up for in instincts and reaction skills.

Mauti is a film room scholar and gym rat who will out work his opponents every single day.

The big red flags on Mauti are his knees. He has had ACL tears to both of them and is coming of his latest one that he suffered late in the 2012 season.

That injury forced him out of the Combine drills and dropped him all the way to the seventh round.

Mauti, if healthy, will be a starter in the NFL for years to come. He just has that "it" factor and toughness that make good athletes into great NFL players.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/2013-nfl-draft-5-late-round-picks-with-pro-bowl-potential/22688/

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#1 : May 09, 2013, 12:09:31 AM

Awareness, huh? Interesting. I thought we were getting a physical specimen with the right attitude and work ethic; if he has other intangibles then I'm even more optimistic we got ourselves a potential steal.

creamsicles

Starter
#2 : May 09, 2013, 12:54:37 AM

he's getting a lot of love from various articles.  I like what I've read and hope he succeeds.  revis should enable us to be more successful on the blitz and this guy could a good resource there.

of course, he could end up being another brackins.

RaHonde Barber

Rookie

#3 : May 09, 2013, 01:22:09 AM

It's kinda funny watching writers discover Means right before our eyes. Where were you guys two months ago? If he was so good, why didn't he make any of these "draft experts" top lists?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 09, 2013, 01:34:37 AM

He is not the biggest guy for a DE spot.  Both Bowers and Clayborn go about 280.  This dude weighs in about 240-250 IIRC.

He is more LB size. But Schiano said he will be playing DE, not LB..     So we will have to see how it works out. I wouldn't be talking pro bowl for the guy, how about he just makes the team, for starters?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 09, 2013, 08:47:52 AM

Means was listed at 257 for the draft; Bucs say 260... Given his explosiveness off the ball, with some coaching up and time in the weight room I'd think he'd be fine at DE. 

Buc45

Starter

#6 : May 09, 2013, 09:24:50 AM

6'3, 260 is fine for a defensive end...I think scouts were keeping their mouths shut about him.  Through the "draft experts" you only here about the obvious guys.   

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 09, 2013, 09:33:56 AM

He is not the biggest guy for a DE spot.  Both Bowers and Clayborn go about 280.  This dude weighs in about 240-250 IIRC.

He is more LB size. But Schiano said he will be playing DE, not LB..     So we will have to see how it works out. I wouldn't be talking pro bowl for the guy, how about he just makes the team, for starters?

He's a Buc now and deserves all of our love and support, even if his chances are slim.

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#8 : May 09, 2013, 09:56:26 AM

I love the potential in this guy and seems like he has a motor that doesn't stop but wasn't the reports from Rookie Day saying that he got pancaked twice by an undrafted rookie T?  I'm not writing the guy off just saying that moving positions and being a raw talent could take more than one offseason to complete.  Hope he makes the team.     

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 09, 2013, 10:19:16 AM

I wonder if Means will get some playing time this year. Cant wait for TC and preseason games to see him and Gholston battle it out at DE.

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

#10 : May 09, 2013, 10:54:32 AM

You could have just picked some names from a fishbowl to write this article.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 09, 2013, 11:02:46 AM

6'3, 260 is fine for a defensive end...I think scouts were keeping their mouths shut about him.  Through the "draft experts" you only here about the obvious guys.
Yeah, he's just fine physically for a weakside edge rusher.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 09, 2013, 12:13:45 PM

It's kinda funny watching writers discover Means right before our eyes. Where were you guys two months ago? If he was so good, why didn't he make any of these "draft experts" top lists?
The guy didn't get invited to the combine. And when that happens, those players don't even get drafted.

BucsWin31

Starter

#13 : May 09, 2013, 01:22:37 PM

I think this guy will be a solid player in the league. I saw his one on one piece on the team site, was really impressed with the guy. Looking at the tape I like his moves for such a raw guy. Had he went to a big time school, Im sure he would have been taken earlier.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 09, 2013, 03:45:32 PM

I think we also kept that T who pancaked Means; forget his name  8).
 No doubt Means is a work in progress, but he seems to have the "want to" to put in the work to develop and learn the position at the NFL level. The potential to be very good is there for him and Gholston too...
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5 Late Round Picks With Pro Bowl Potential « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools