Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: List of sub-.500 teams with playoff shot « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Hate

Hall of Famer
#30 : May 11, 2013, 10:46:37 PM

The only trouble is, they are in that tough NFC West.

which equates to no shot... regardless of their division record last year.

I wouldn't say no chance. 49ers and Seahawks are one QB injury away from being nothing special. Never know what will happen. Also, Rams did beat the 49ers once and tied them the other game last year. They beat the Seahawks once last year too. Overall the Rams were 4-1-1 in their division. The gap between them might not be as big as you think.

Seems you missed my 'regardless of their division record last year'. I'll put it out there... Rams still suck and will pick top 3rd in next year's draft.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 11, 2013, 10:47:43 PM

No one is debating the fact that he has underachieved on an epic scale.  As of now, though, he represents a definite upgrade at the QB position, and if he plays at around the same level that he has the last few years, that team should be competitive.

Well there is the thing.  Is Alex Smith really an upgrade over Cassell or Brady Quinn. I don't think so.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#32 : May 11, 2013, 10:57:24 PM

No one is debating the fact that he has underachieved on an epic scale.  As of now, though, he represents a definite upgrade at the QB position, and if he plays at around the same level that he has the last few years, that team should be competitive.

Well there is the thing.  Is Alex Smith really an upgrade over Cassell or Brady Quinn. I don't think so.

Damn. Then we will agree to disagree there, man. I definitely don't believe that Cassel or Quinn could ever play how Smith played at times in that 2011 season..especially the divisional round game vs. the Saints. There is no question in my mind that he is. It isn't a championship upgrade, up an upgrade nonetheless.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#33 : May 12, 2013, 01:55:51 AM

Andy Reid is notorious for being the most pass happy coach in the league, a game manager like Alex Smith cant and wont run that offense well. I also think the Seahawks slip in the west and the Rams get in the playoffs as a wildcard.

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 12, 2013, 02:06:51 AM

Damn. Then we will agree to disagree there, man. I definitely don't believe that Cassel or Quinn could ever play how Smith played at times in that 2011 season..especially the divisional round game vs. the Saints. There is no question in my mind that he is. It isn't a championship upgrade, up an upgrade nonetheless.

Agreed. Alex Smith is average incarnate. Brady Quinn is terrible. Cassel is 4 steps above terrible.

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

#35 : May 12, 2013, 02:09:06 AM

He seems pretty confident the 2-14 Chiefs will be playoff bound.

I definitely see them competing for a wild card spot.

I don't have as much confidence in Alex Smith as some do.  What has he ever done in his 7 or 8 years in the league?  His best year was under Harbough, and now he is gone from there.  Dude has a 79 career QB rating.  Maybe he turns into Tom Brady under Big Andy, but I have my doubts.

If he plays like he did the last season and a half, it should at least keep them completing. The have a pretty solid squad around him. They won't win a title or even a playoff game with Smith, but he will be so much better than Quinn/Cassel/etc.

I think Reid does a good job with that team this year.

The last season and a half is the Harbough effect.  He is really good with QB's. I can see them being improved, but playoffs?   PLAYOFFS ?

So will he now forget everything Harbaugh taught him? I don't know if I would put money on them going to the playoffs or anything, but even having an average QB will make them much more competitive than they were last year. Also, with the talent they have acquired over past few years and then getting, what should be, better coaching in 2013....All I'm saying is, I wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed a WC spot.

Smith reminds me of the USC QB's that get all the love  coming out of there to the draft.  Then they fall flat on their face in the NFL.

Now I see in this thread people calling him, game manager, average QB, system QB.

Man... the dude was the #1 pick in the draft. I would think he would have a higher ceiling than average QB.

The Niners gambled on the dude, but a better choice would of been Aaron Rodgers.

If the 49ers got Rodgers, we would have jumped all over Alex Smith and reigned supreme in mediocrity. Maybe just enough to win a few playoff games and still have Gruden etching along ever so slowly. Then we sign Brees.

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#36 : May 12, 2013, 03:53:27 AM

If the defense does its job its all on Freeman to get the ball to those weapons we got and put points on the board. He was so up and down last year that I dont know what we are going to get with him.

It's pretty simple. Eliminate the 4 interception games and set a new franchise record for TD passes. The Bucs are a lock for the playoffs IMO.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#37 : May 12, 2013, 04:09:14 AM

I wouldn't say no chance. 49ers and Seahawks are one QB injury away from being nothing special. Never know what will happen. Also, Rams did beat the 49ers once and tied them the other game last year. They beat the Seahawks once last year too. Overall the Rams were 4-1-1 in their division. The gap between them might not be as big as you think.

Isn't every team one QB injury away from being nothing special?

tripblood

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 12, 2013, 07:10:18 AM

The irony of asking that right after he used the 49ers as an example.

If Alex Smith wouldn't have gotten injured it would not have been possible to bench him. What about in Minnesota, if Ponder stinks it up you think Cassell is much of a downgrade? Or how in Cleveland where Weeden is starting and Jason Cambell is pine riding?

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#39 : May 12, 2013, 09:20:49 AM

Yes. I'm just saying you never know what will happen.

Draft Aaron Donald

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 12, 2013, 09:38:07 PM

I don't have as much confidence in Alex Smith as some do.  What has he ever done in his 7 or 8 years in the league?  His best year was under Harbough, and now he is gone from there.  Dude has a 79 career QB rating.  Maybe he turns into Tom Brady under Big Andy, but I have my doubts.

If he plays like he did the last season and a half, it should at least keep them completing. The have a pretty solid squad around him. They won't win a title or even a playoff game with Smith, but he will be so much better than Quinn/Cassel/etc.

The last season and a half is the Harbough effect.  He is really good with QB's. I can see them being improved, but playoffs?   PLAYOFFS ?

So will he now forget everything Harbaugh taught him? I don't know if I would put money on them going to the playoffs or anything, but even having an average QB will make them much more competitive than they were last year. Also, with the talent they have acquired over past few years and then getting, what should be, better coaching in 2013....All I'm saying is, I wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed a WC spot.

Smith reminds me of the USC QB's that get all the love  coming out of there to the draft.  Then they fall flat on their face in the NFL.

Now I see in this thread people calling him, game manager, average QB, system QB.

Man... the dude was the #1 pick in the draft. I would think he would have a higher ceiling than average QB.

The Niners gambled on the dude, but a better choice would of been Aaron Rodgers.

If the 49ers got Rodgers, we would have jumped all over Alex Smith and reigned supreme in mediocrity. Maybe just enough to win a few playoff games and still have Gruden etching along ever so slowly. Then we sign Brees.

Interesting theory.   And I sure as hell am glad it never went down that way.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 12, 2013, 09:52:08 PM

My only point is there is not much difference between the 3.    Cassell actually has a higher career QB rating than Alex Smith

Matt Cassell                 80.3    QB rating

Brady Quinn                 64.4  QB rating

Alex Smith                    79.1   QB rating

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 12, 2013, 10:02:13 PM

My only point is there is not much difference between the 3.    Cassell actually has a higher career QB rating than Alex Smith

That singular stat doesn't accurately paint a picture of where those QBs stand today in their careers...

Freeman is at 79.8, is he worse than Cassel?

If you are just going to use QB rating, Smith in the last two years is at 90.7 and 104.1. Does that mean mean more than what he did his first three years of sub-80 QB rating? I would say so.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#43 : May 12, 2013, 10:09:19 PM

That singular stat doesn't accurately paint a picture of where those QBs stand today in their careers...

Freeman is at 79.8, is he worse than Cassel?

If you are just going to use QB rating, Smith in the last two years is at 90.7 and 104.1. Does that mean mean more than what he did his first three years of sub-80 QB rating? I would say so.

Well , we are back to my origanal point,   the Harbough effect.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Hate

Hall of Famer
#44 : May 12, 2013, 10:09:19 PM

Interesting theory.   And I sure as hell am glad it never went down that way.

we drafted a mediocre RB..... whats the difference??

-------------------------------------------------------

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: List of sub-.500 teams with playoff shot « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools