Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sen. John McCain aims to eliminate NFL TV blackouts « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

tmac87

Starter
#15 : May 10, 2013, 11:59:35 AM

Blackouts exist because of federal regulations so Senator McCain is doing his job.

Obama doesn't address this issue because he is more woman than man and has never played a sport in his life.

Hahaha and if he spent time working on **CENSORED**ing blackouts instead of running the free world, you would say how much he sucks for that too. lol ::)

PS - Blackouts suck and if McCain helps remove them, great.

Even if you get off my island, Goldson and Barron are right there. You want to go across the middle and get tattooed, it is what it is. - Revis Isle

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#16 : May 10, 2013, 12:05:03 PM

No and I didn't say that.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#17 : May 10, 2013, 12:07:12 PM

why not broadcast all the rock concerts at RayJay was well since the building is publicly financed? I should be able to see all the artists coming to town instead of paying $80/tix.

tmac87

Starter
#18 : May 10, 2013, 12:11:51 PM

why not broadcast all the rock concerts at RayJay was well since the building is publicly financed? I should be able to see all the artists coming to town instead of paying $80/tix.

Except that the concert/artist isn't receiving hundreds of millions of dollars for broadcasting rights. Your logic is there (public airport/tickets) but without tickets, airlines generate $0 in revenue. Before one of us walks through RayJay's gates, the Glazers already made bank, so I don't get where this loyalty for billionaires comes in?

Even if you get off my island, Goldson and Barron are right there. You want to go across the middle and get tattooed, it is what it is. - Revis Isle

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 10, 2013, 12:16:17 PM

Got my season tickets. Not my problem anymore...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#20 : May 10, 2013, 12:17:23 PM

It's becoming a bit of a precedent of late, where Congress thinks it can dictate what people can and cannot do, just because tax dollars were involved. If it was a precondition of receiving the money, fine I would have no problem with it, but after the fact? I am pretty confident that no team would accept money on the premise the Govt can step in and make arbitrary changes to their team and Organization. What if they decide QB's are getting paid too much and the wage differential should be "fairer" and more "balanced". I know it is a bit far fetched but look at the bank bailouts. For ideological and political purposes and for no business reason, the Govt decided that people were getting paid too much and they needed to take a pay cut so the precedent is there.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#21 : May 10, 2013, 12:19:42 PM

Except that the concert/artist isn't receiving hundreds of millions of dollars for broadcasting rights. Your logic is there (public airport/tickets) but without tickets, airlines generate $0 in revenue. Before one of us walks through RayJay's gates, the Glazers already made bank, so I don't get where this loyalty for billionaires comes in?

I don't see the Govt paying the $130 million p.a in player salaries, or the millions of dollars it takes to run and maintain RJS.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#22 : May 10, 2013, 12:20:13 PM

I'm guessing the current contract the NFL has with broadcast companies include blackouts. If blackouts are removed, they need to be compensated for loss of ticket sales (new contract needed). Also, the Glazers' lease agreement for RayJay will be changed with change in blackout rules, so they possibly can relocate and build their own stadium elsewhere.

This should get interesting if McCain looks to put his nose in this. I'm sure he's looking at more votes in Arizona through all of this....

spartan

Hall of Famer
#23 : May 10, 2013, 12:24:47 PM

This should get interesting if McCain looks to put his nose in this. I'm sure he's looking at more votes in Arizona through all of this....

Which is usually one of the main reasons why tax dollars are involved in the first place.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#24 : May 10, 2013, 12:30:31 PM

Gah, go away McCain. Government should stay out of it.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 10, 2013, 12:37:03 PM

Gah, go away McCain. Government should stay out of it.

Again, the blackout rules that are already in place are there because of federal regulations put in place a long time ago. The government is already involved.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#26 : May 10, 2013, 12:50:27 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television#Blackout_policies

Since 1973, the NFL has maintained a blackout policy that states that a home game cannot be televised locally if it is not sold out 72 hours prior to its start time. Prior to 1973, all games were blacked out in the home city of origin regardless of whether they were sold out. This policy, dating back to the NFL's emerging television years, resulted in home-city blackouts even during championship games. For instance, the 1958 "Greatest Game Ever Played" between the Baltimore Colts and New York Giants was unavailable to New York fans despite the sellout. (Many fans rented hotel rooms in Connecticut to watch the game on Hartford TV, a practice that continued for Giants games through 1972.) Similarly, all Super Bowl games prior to 1973 were unavailable in the host city's market.

The policy was put into effect when, in 1972, the Washington Redskins made the playoffs for only the second time in 27 seasons. Because all home games were blacked-out, politicians including devout football fan President Richard Nixon were not able to watch their home team win. NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle refused to lift the blackout, despite a plea from United States Attorney General Richard Kleindienst. Kleindienst was to suggest that the United States Congress re-evaluate the NFL's antitrust exemption.
Rozelle agreed to lift the blackout for Super Bowl VII on an "experimental basis." But Congress intervened before the 1973 season anyway, passing Public Law 93-107, which eliminated the blackout of games in the home market so long as the game was sold out by 72 hours before game time.[27] The league will sometimes change this deadline to 48 hours if there are only a few thousand tickets left unsold; much more rarely, they will occasionally extend this to 24 hours in special cases.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#27 : May 10, 2013, 12:50:47 PM

buc...4ever:  Would you explain how "black rules already in place are there because of prior federal regulations???   Not disagreeing, just wondering about the mechanics of the federal regulations involved in this statement..

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 10, 2013, 12:55:50 PM

Blackouts exist because of federal regulations so Senator McCain is doing his job.

Obama doesn't address this issue because he is more woman than man and has never played a sport in his life.

Loving the latest developments in the Benghazi cover-up!

Hopefully this ruins Hillarious Clinton for 2016.

Also, you'd think the Commander in Chief would have a clue as to what was going on.
Same with the Campaigner in Chief...  :P :-*

IMPEACH OBAMA.

Enhanced Cranston Logo - \"Alan Cranston-- You\'ve Just Been Warholled!\"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#29 : May 10, 2013, 01:07:16 PM

Loving the latest developments in the Benghazi cover-up!

Hopefully this ruins Hillarious Clinton for 2016.

Also, you'd think the Commander in Chief would have a clue as to what was going on.
Same with the Campaigner in Chief...  :P :-*

IMPEACH OBAMA.

all off topic, but in response, I'll post this....Obama against fellow US Senators.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sen. John McCain aims to eliminate NFL TV blackouts « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools