Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks vs. Eric Wright ...1 of the Position battles to watch this summer « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#15 : May 11, 2013, 12:26:36 PM

Why does everybody think Wright is so bad? He is a decent starter in this league, he just had a lot of issues last year w/ injuries and suspension. I think he will start over Banks at least until the end of the season. If banks beats out wright in camp than we got a steal.

Please watch last years NY Giants game with Cruz and Nicks getting 500 yards receiving. It might give some perspective.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

youngone

Hall of Famer
#16 : May 11, 2013, 01:19:36 PM

Why does everybody think Wright is so bad? He is a decent starter in this league, he just had a lot of issues last year w/ injuries and suspension. I think he will start over Banks at least until the end of the season. If banks beats out wright in camp than we got a steal.

Please watch last years NY Giants game with Cruz and Nicks getting 500 yards receiving. It might give some perspective.
Wasn't only Wright getting worked that game, and he was the only DB that actually made a play that game.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 11, 2013, 02:32:38 PM

Wasn't only Wright getting worked that game, and he was the only DB that actually made a play that game.

Brandon Mcdonald: "Na uh!"

Lol.  Yes they all got worked over.

Here is the deal. Wright is not better than EJ Biggerrs and Leonard Johnson. I would say that LJ has at least a glimmer there that you like and can possibly work with for future use at the NCB position. Wright...I don't see him having a significant role past week 6.

Lets look at some numbers from last year, seeing that some didn't quite visually catch the awfulness of one, Eric Wright.

Missed Tackles: EJ - 13. LJ - 7. Wright - 9.
Missed tackle rate: EJ - 21.31% LJ- 16.27% Wright- 19.14%
Catch%: EJ - 61.3% LJ - 63.5%  Wright - 62.5%
Yards per catch allowed: EJ - 12.8 LJ - 14.2. Wright - 14.6
INTs: EJ - 1. LJ - 3. Wright - 1
PDs: EJ - 8 LJ - 6. Wright - 6
PD/INT%: EJ - 11.25% LJ - 14.28% Wright - 12.5%
Opp QB rating: EJ - 93.1 LJ - 93.9. Wright - 96.6

Now, lets look at some mid level CBs from other teams in 2012, compared to Wright. Guys who are not in the upper tier, but would solid/serviceable #2CBs and who have several years of experience. Sheldon Brown, Sam Shields, and Derek Cox.

Missed tackles: Brown - 5. Shields - 5. Cox - 15. Wright - 9
Missed tackle rate: Brown - 7.4%. Shields - 11.90%. Cox - 19.23. Wright - 19.14
Catch%: Brown - 57.8%. Shields - 45.6%. Cox - 60.7%. Wright - 62.5%
Yards per catch - Brown - 12.6. Shields - 15.9. Cox - 12.4. Wright - 14.6
INTs: Brown - 3. Shields - 5. Cox - 4. Wright - 1
PD: Brown - 10. Shields - 9. Cox - 6. Wright - 6.
PD/INT%: Brown - 14.44%. Shields - 24.56%. Cox - 11.23%. Wright - 12.5%
Opp QB rating: Brown - 81.5. Shields - 57.1. Cox - 69.0. Wright - 96.6

Just for comparison..here are the #s for Richard Sherman.
Missed tackles: 6
Missed tackle rate: 8.4%
Catch%: 44.4%
Yards per catch: 15.8
INTs: 8
PDs: 18
PD/INT%: 26.26%
Opp QB rating: 44.9

Stat explanation.
Missed tackles - Self explanatory.
Missed tackle rate - % of plays where the player had the opportunity to tackle the ballcarrier, but missed the tackle. So if the % is 7.8%, then the player missed a tackle on 7.8% of opportunities.
Catch% - % of plays where the CB was targeted, and allowed a catch.
Yards per catch - Self explanatory.
INTs - Self explanatory.
PDs - Passes defensed.
PD/INT% - % of plays where the CB was targeted and they either had a PD or an INT.
Opp QB rating - The opposings QB's QB rating when targeting the CB.
: May 11, 2013, 02:40:57 PM chace1986

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

ingey1968

Starter

#18 : May 11, 2013, 02:37:50 PM

Living in Michigan i can tell you with certainty that Wright wasnt worth the money we gave him then, nor is he worth it now. They should have cut him already

youngone

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 11, 2013, 02:47:23 PM

Did you games played with those stats? Bcuz I think I watched LJ get worked way more than I seen Wright. Maybe it was just me.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 11, 2013, 02:54:16 PM

Did you games played with those stats? Bcuz I think I watched LJ get worked way more than I seen Wright. Maybe it was just me.

Yea, it was just you.  ;)
Its based off of total snaps played.
Wright - 518
LJ - 594

youngone

Hall of Famer
#21 : May 11, 2013, 02:59:35 PM

Wright - 518
LJ - 594
Thank you.. So would you say if Wright sucks then LJ sucks too?

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#22 : May 11, 2013, 03:29:56 PM

Wright was dealing with an achilles injury last year, and was almost always matched up against the oppositions top receiver. The guy is no allpro, but he is much better than most of these posters are giving him credit for.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 11, 2013, 03:37:39 PM

If Wright is decent, why would the Lions and Browns let him go?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 11, 2013, 03:43:16 PM

Wright - 518
LJ - 594
Thank you.. So would you say if Wright sucks then LJ sucks too?

Yes. IMO, LJ sucked slightly less. The positive thing about LJ is that he might be able to develop to the point where he is decent. Wright is fully developed and is what he is.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 11, 2013, 03:45:23 PM

Cause of that nagging achilles injury....  ::)

Mic

Starter

#26 : May 11, 2013, 05:22:28 PM

With Ronde gone Wright is gonna be in the nickel position a lot more, which is where I think is where he can flourish.

He's at best a serviceable #2,he was outmanned a lot by receivers last year but I could see him become that roamer on Nickel with playmaking abilty jumping routes, blitzing and all sorts, as you remember was where he was playing at on that Giants pick where he blitzed but noticed the quick hitch to cruz and picked it off which was very similar to the pick ronde made in the nfc championship game.

Don't know many guys that can make plays like this- http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000062517/WK-2-Can-t-Miss-Play-Wright-pick-six

He has all the athletic ability 4.3 speed and the moves that come with it, I need to see more film on him to make a conclusion on how instinctive he is but for now i would say he shows adequate instincts.

He just isn't that good of corner when matched on functionally strong receivers on the outside but he's a guy thats better suited to let him play in space or on those slot receivers that arent as strong and make plays. As a #3 his skillset translate really well into a nickel and I think we'll be pleasantly surprised if he does become our nickel corner.

Not sure who we will win the #2 this year but I know for a fact if Wright does win the #2 he will be playing the nickel and Banks on the outside with safety help sliding over towards the #2 which is the beauty of having Revis

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#27 : May 11, 2013, 05:43:36 PM

Cause of that nagging achilles injury....  ::)

Lmao. I've seen it all today. A Freeman detractor making excuses for Wright.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#28 : May 11, 2013, 06:15:11 PM

Wright is no #1. But I'll take him as a 3rd or 4th CB all day. Revis, Banks, LJ, Wright, Gaitor. In that order.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 11, 2013, 06:48:34 PM

They are PFF stats , so plenty of games have been played with them. They are notoriously inaccurate and subjective.

Nothing like a stat nerd attributing blame for failed coverage on a play when he has no clue what the coverage assignments were. These clowns need to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks vs. Eric Wright ...1 of the Position battles to watch this summer « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools