Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs' strong-side linebacker spot ...one to watch « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucD

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 12, 2013, 03:12:57 PM

Why not Means at strong? Isn't that what he played at Buffalo?

No he played DE in their 3-4 scheme. He's never played LB, according to him.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 12, 2013, 05:56:22 PM

I think that the incumbent is Hayward. I saw the Casillas signing as a low risk-high reward kind of move where he could potentially start, but it's far from a sure thing. He's pretty much just another Dekoda Watson, but with better coverage ability. It really doesn't matter though because if McCoy and David are healthy, then the run game is going to be shut down regardless of our SLB. As long as they're not a big liability, then they should be fine. They're hardly ever going to make an impact on the outcome of the game. I wouldn't move Foster to the SLB spot because he's a tough guy and he's improved at being a MLB. I really doubt that anyone on the roster could even challenge him at this point.

Agree.

Casillas is undersized, and played mostly nickel in New Orleans.  It would be trouble to ask him to block TE's, and defend the run.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

flashgordon

Pro Bowler
#17 : May 13, 2013, 02:09:15 AM

I'm pretty much rooting for Heyward for the strong side.  Hopefully, some youth wins a depth/special teams spot and they can develop some more(Mosely and/or Glaud). 

I'm rooting for Joe Holland to make the team as well.

Genesis - tonight, tonight, tonight,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz7bqxeVgNw

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 13, 2013, 07:57:07 AM

would love to see Watson make the leap and take over the starter role as SAM but i dunno if its gonna happen. he strikes me as a "glue" guy. hes a great special teamer and a great team guy but not neccessarily a starter. im guessing hes going to be a career special teamer for us. he has a niche and theres nothing wrong with it. about what id expect out of a 7th rounder.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 13, 2013, 08:07:46 AM

Why not Means at strong? Isn't that what he played at Buffalo?

No he never played LB in his life . He's always been a DE. Not sure why he was ever even listed as a LB during the draft . I guess a lot of people felt he'd be a fit as a 3-4 rushing OLB .

Anyways , Heyward will win the job. He's the most solid consistent candidate.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 13, 2013, 08:10:27 AM

would love to see Watson make the leap and take over the starter role as SAM but i dunno if its gonna happen. he strikes me as a "glue" guy. hes a great special teamer and a great team guy but not neccessarily a starter. im guessing hes going to be a career special teamer for us. he has a niche and theres nothing wrong with it. about what id expect out of a 7th rounder.

I'd love to see his preseason pass rush moves finally translate into a regular season game. It would really help our blitz package.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : May 13, 2013, 08:23:43 AM

Hayward is probably the best candidate for Sam, however, I've watched him over the last two years and he is consistently a step too slow. He can't quite make it to the edge in time to stop outside runs. He can't get to the QB in time to prevent the throw. He knows what to do and where to be, but his legs just don't get him there quick enough. He is probably the most likely starter, but I'm not excited about it.

Draft Aaron Donald

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 13, 2013, 08:28:05 AM

How about Goode in the middle with Foster outside?

Goode is slow as hell. No way he can play Mike.

Goode's 40 time 4.55
Foster's 40 time 4.75

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 13, 2013, 08:29:42 AM

Hayward is probably the best candidate for Sam, however, I've watched him over the last two years and he is consistently a step too slow.

Sounds like an upgrade over Quincy Black already ....

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#24 : May 13, 2013, 08:32:20 AM

Who ever wins the starting role as the SAM, fans should not expect to see that player on the field in a base defensive alignment but roughly 36% of the time. As the Bucs had at least one extra defensive back on the field 63% of the time in 2012.

Yup. Whoever ends up taking most of the reps at SAM, their role will be rather small and will not have much importance when it comes to the success of this defense. We will be fine with whoever wins the camp battle.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : May 13, 2013, 08:33:02 AM

Goode's 40 time 4.55
Foster's 40 time 4.75

and....?

Draft Aaron Donald

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 13, 2013, 08:35:26 AM

Goode's 40 time 4.55
Foster's 40 time 4.75

and....?

He played slow because he was a rookie who didn't know where the hell he was supposed to be. Thinking and not reacting.  Let's see how he looks this season.

We saw the jump Mason made from year 1 to tear 2 and it was substantial.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#27 : May 13, 2013, 08:37:51 AM

Maybe. To me it looked like his shoes were made of cement when he ran. No acceleration.

Draft Aaron Donald

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 13, 2013, 08:55:43 AM

I'd love to see his preseason pass rush moves finally translate into a regular season game. It would really help our blitz package.

same here. other than a sack fumble he caused on matt ryan in 2011 and a blocked punt he hasnt done much as a passrusher. i dont like the way they use him as a passrusher with his hand in the dirt lined up head on with the tackle. its a losing position for a guy his size. they need to rush him as a standup either inside of the DE or slightly outside of the DE so the tackle has to pick who to block
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs' strong-side linebacker spot ...one to watch « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools