Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFC South going 'light' at left tackle.....except for the Bucs. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 12, 2013, 12:01:25 AM »

NFC South going 'light' at left tackle

May, 10, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

When it comes to left tackles, the NFC South is taking things lightly.

It’s likely three of the division’s four teams will start some of the lightest left tackles in the league. The New Orleans Saints are still determining who will start at left tackle, but the winner of that competition will join Carolina’s Jordan Gross (305 pounds) and Atlanta’s Sam Baker (301 pounds) among the league’s lightest left tackles.

The Saints list Charles Brown at 297 pounds, rookie Terron Armstead at 306 and Jason Smith at 310. Outside of Gross and Baker, the league's only other projected starters at left tackle that are listed at less than 310 pounds are Indianapolis’ Anthony Castonzo (305), Dallas’ Tyron Smith (308) and Minnesota’s Matt Kalil (308).

It’s not a bad thing the NFC South is going light at left tackle. The Saints, Panthers and Falcons all throw the ball a lot and they want left tackles that are quick enough to match up with speed rushers.

The one NFC South exception to this trend is Tampa Bay, where Donald Penn is listed at 340 pounds. Penn’s weight sometimes has escalated in the past, but a team official recently told me that Penn showed up for the offseason program in the best shape of his career.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
« #1 : May 12, 2013, 01:12:00 AM »

Hopefully Clayborn can bullrush these undersized tackles and collapse pockets. Im also growing very tired of Penns weight issues

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #2 : May 12, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »

Hopefully Clayborn can bullrush these undersized tackles and collapse pockets. Im also growing very tired of Penns weight issues
If your beef with Penn's weight makes you sick and tired, than watching Freeman play should have made you dead or at least put you in a coma.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 12, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »

The Donald of the Bucs got the nudge he's needed for a while from Coach Schiano when he reported to the Bucs' TC a tad heavy for Coach's tastes. He got to run around the field hauling tires and weights for a while as his teammates practiced. Once he was allowed back in practice, my impression is he's very much if not totally bought into the Schiano way, leaving his weight and fitness problems in the past. Sounds like good cause for optimism to me!  8)

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 12, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »

People may not be happy with Penn, but he's more than adequate. It's tough to find a LT with that kind of consistency. I'm worried about when his play declines. It's will be tough to replace him unless we get very lucky. I don't see Dominik ever drafting a LT in the first round, so I'm hoping that the pro scouts can really do their homework when it comes to finding a good starter at LT.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 12, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »

People may not be happy with Penn, but he's more than adequate. It's tough to find a LT with that kind of consistency. I'm worried about when his play declines. It's will be tough to replace him unless we get very lucky. I don't see Dominik ever drafting a LT in the first round, so I'm hoping that the pro scouts can really do their homework when it comes to finding a good starter at LT.

I think the problem is, he is not being paid as "more than adequate and consistant".

He makes a boatload of cash, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but IIRC he makes top 5 LT money.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 12, 2013, 11:32:11 PM »

The UFA we signed off a tryout after the mini-camp, Jace Daniels, played LT at Northern Michigan and apparently made a good first impression in minicamp. A guy to keep an eye on in TC, IMO...

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
« #7 : May 13, 2013, 01:42:28 AM »

Finding one starting LT as an undrafted FA was a miracle. I hope we arent so nieve to think we can do it again

creamsicles

Starter
« #8 : May 13, 2013, 03:31:26 AM »

i'm appreciative of what penn has done for our team, but i hope he never forgets that we lost davin last year largely due to penn's poor conditioning.  when penn is in shape, he makes us a much better team... maybe the guilt has clicked something inside of him since the report says he's in his best shape right now.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #9 : May 13, 2013, 03:49:57 AM »

Anyone else recall when "Big Daddy" Liscomb was the only 300+ lineman in the entire league?

Biff Barker

Pro Bowler

« #10 : May 13, 2013, 06:49:13 AM »

i'm appreciative of what penn has done for our team, but i hope he never forgets that we lost davin last year largely due to penn's poor conditioning.  when penn is in shape, he makes us a much better team... maybe the guilt has clicked something inside of him since the report says he's in his best shape right now.
Penn came into camp lighter, and in better shape last tear, tore a calf muscle and was out for most if the preseason.
Not sure the criticism is fair in this case. Penn's been a solid player, brings a nasty attitude and is an excellent compliment to Nicks IMO.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : May 13, 2013, 07:37:23 AM »

Im also growing very tired of Penns weight issues

???

a team official recently told me that Penn showed up for the offseason program in the best shape of his career.[/size]

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #12 : May 13, 2013, 08:15:28 AM »

All the other teams in the division seem to want to fun and gun , and we want to ground and pound , so it's  really not surprising.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #13 : May 13, 2013, 08:22:52 AM »

Finding one starting LT as an undrafted FA was a miracle. I hope we arent so nieve to think we can do it again

LOL , it really was a miracle finding a LT of that caliber sitting on someone's practice squad. A guy who's been entrenched as a starter for year's and even saw a pro bowl. I think Buc fan's take it for granted .

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #14 : May 13, 2013, 08:26:56 AM »

LOL , it really was a miracle finding a LT of that caliber sitting on someone's practice squad. A guy who's been entrenched as a starter for year's and even saw a pro bowl. I think Buc fan's take it for granted .

Dom should be fired  ;)

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFC South going 'light' at left tackle.....except for the Bucs. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools