Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Have the Buccaneers built a playoff-caliber defense? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 13, 2013, 12:12:02 AM

2013 Draft Fallout: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer    NFL.com
Published:  May 12, 2013 at 08:12 p.m.

The 2013 NFL Draft transformed 32 NFL rosters. Around The League will examine the aftershocks in our Draft Fallout series. Next up: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Big Question: Have the Buccaneers built a playoff-caliber defense?

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers were a schizophrenic operation on defense last season.

Nobody in the NFL was better at stopping the run, but Tampa's secondary was a disaster. Despite an offense that pumped out 24.3 points per game, the defense allowed more (24.6), mainly because opposing air attacks shredded the Bucs for a league-worst 297.4 yards per outing.

Coach Greg Schiano did what he could with the players he had in 2012, but this year's Bucs boast a completely remodeled secondary, anchored by Hall of Fame-worthy cornerback Darrelle Revis, acquired from the New York Jets. You can't judge Tampa's draft without accounting for Revis.

The Bucs didn't rest there. Tampa used its first pick in the draft (at No. 43) on Mississippi State cornerback Johnthan Banks, who joins a defensive backfield that also includes Eric Wright and a pair of nasty safeties in free-agent pickup Dashon Goldson and the promising Mark Barron.

"We're building it our way. We're building it with our kind of people," Schiano said after the draft, via FoxSportsFlorida.

The Bucs have a plan. They used last offseason to upgrade on offense. This time around, the defense has been re-imagined and -- with a hungry Revis at the wheel -- Tampa looms as a dark-horse candidate to steal the NFC South.

Three Takeaways

1. If any team is primed to mimic San Francisco's midseason quarterback switch from a season ago, it's the Bucs. I don't care what the team says, it's clear Josh Freeman -- heading into a contract year -- hasn't won over Schiano. The drafting of Mike Glennon gives Tampa more than a project player. He arguably owns the strongest arm of any rookie passer. He's not NFL-ready, not yet, but I fully expect Glennon to play if Freeman stumbles early.

2. General manager Mark Dominik is underrated. I love what the 49ers and Seahawks have done this offseason, but Dominik exhibited considerable guts pulling the trigger on Revis. His ability to seamlessly adapt from the Raheem Morris regime to Schiano shouldn't be overlooked. Dominik will be the talk of the league by season's end.

3. Until the Bucs can count on Da'Quan Bowers and Adrian Clayborn to play through a full campaign, pass-rushing help remains a priority. That means a pair of fourth-rounders -- defensive end William Gholston and tackle Akeem Spence -- could see plenty of early playing time. Disrupting Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton is a must inside this pass-happy division.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 13, 2013, 08:12:42 AM

Need a little luck on the health front , and I think our defense is going to be nasty.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 13, 2013, 08:37:43 AM

Bucs need another pass rusher.  Adding Freeney would cement the notion that YES, they do indeed have a playoff caliber defense.

Freeney closing in on third down with Revis jamming...my gawd.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 13, 2013, 08:45:36 AM

I think i speak for most here when i say...it had BETTER BE.

Foe Dom's sake.

(Even though i personally would wait and see how the season fared as a whole vs if we made it or not.)

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 13, 2013, 09:11:01 AM

Defense just has to be average and not implode in the 4th qtr. If they're average, 10-12 wins. If they're top 10, bye week.
: May 13, 2013, 09:12:42 AM JC5100

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 13, 2013, 09:52:06 AM

Loaded question since a lot will depend on the offense.  This is an offensive league now for the most part.  Us this the 2002 defense?  He'll no!  Not even close.  But if it can manage to be a mid pack one that might get us in.  Going far might be another story however. 

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#6 : May 13, 2013, 10:00:19 AM

It has a lot to do with injuries an people playing up to there "potential".  But that goes for every team.  I think to win the Superbowl no matter who you are you have to have the ball bounce your way and stay relatively healthy.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 13, 2013, 10:18:17 AM

It has a lot to do with injuries an people playing up to there "potential".  But that goes for every team.  I think to win the Superbowl no matter who you are you have to have the ball bounce your way and stay relatively healthy.

Yup. Much of it will depend on both health and player development. We shall see.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Mean D

Pro Bowler

#8 : May 13, 2013, 10:42:41 AM

Barring injuries I think this defense will stomp everybody.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#9 : May 13, 2013, 11:23:41 AM

Bucs need another pass rusher.  Adding Freeney would cement the notion that YES, they do indeed have a playoff caliber defense.

Freeney closing in on third down with Revis jamming...my gawd.

Defense wants to blitz, might be less of a problem now that recievers can get covered long enough for the blitz to get there.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#10 : May 13, 2013, 11:45:58 AM

A mediocre pass defense would have gotten the Bucs into the playoffs last year. Barring major injury to multiple key players, this team is playoff caliber no doubt. There's a nice blend of youth and experience, loaded with talent, on both sides of the ball. I will be disappointed with anything less than at least one playoff win. I like the way  things are falling in place with this roster and this coaching staff. Expect a few more free agents to be given a look before the season starts.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 13, 2013, 11:49:28 AM

A mediocre pass defense would have gotten the Bucs into the playoffs last year. Barring major injury to multiple key players, this team is playoff caliber no doubt. There's a nice blend of youth and experience, loaded with talent, on both sides of the ball. I will be disappointed with anything less than at least one playoff win. I like the way  things are falling in place with this roster and this coaching staff. Expect a few more free agents to be given a look before the season starts.

Totally agree. A lot to be optimistic about.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 13, 2013, 11:51:14 AM

We have a playoff caliber offense and defense. What we don't know is if Freeman is can take the next step. Anyone who doubts us, doesn't doubt our talent. They doubt Josh Freeman being the man.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#13 : May 13, 2013, 11:52:32 AM

But I don't expect the Saints to have as bad a year as in 2012.  Just slightly improving in pass defense wont be enough to make the playoffs. 

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 13, 2013, 11:56:44 AM

I think on paper we have done everything we could do to fix our secondary. On paper, we should go from one of the very worst secondaries, to one of the very best secondaries. Of course Revis' knee has to be right and Jonathan Banks needs to pan out....but it's definitely looking good at this point.

Unfortunately, we did nothing to improve our horrible pass rush and we have zero depth on the front seven. So I think it's way to early to claim we have a playoff caliber defense.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Have the Buccaneers built a playoff-caliber defense? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools