Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's a big offseason for these five Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 16, 2013, 12:00:47 AM »

It's a big offseason for these five Bucs

Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer 

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:47pm

DANIEL WALLACE | Times
This year is Josh Freeman’s second in offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan’s intricate system.

As the Bucs’ offseason program continues, it’s a key time for development both on the field and in the meeting room.

But there are some players in particular who stand to benefit from good efforts this offseason. While all players can make improvements during this period, there are some players for whom it’s an absolutely critical time.

Here are five players we think can make major improvements with a strong offseason:

* TE Luke Stocker: It remains to be seen how much the Bucs intend to use Stocker in their passing game. But unless newcomer Tom Crabtree, a free agent signing from the Packers is a quick study with a new offense and outperforms Stocker, the starting tight end duties likely will belong to this 2011 fourth-round pick.

Stocker’s resume’ is not impressive; he’s caught just 28 passes in two seasons (Crabtree has just 18 catches in three seasons). But two things have primarily held Stocker back: injuries and opportunity.

During his rookie season, he suffered a hip injury on the first day of training camp, missed the whole preseason and never truly got going. Also that year, he played behind Kellen Winslow, a favorite target of quarterback Josh Freeman. In 2012, Stocker was in a similar predicament, with Dallas Clark ahead of him on the depth chart. He battled injuries last year as well.

When OTAs begin next week, it’s presumed Stocker will have the chance to line up with the first offense. What he does with that opportunity is up to him.

* DE Da’Quan Bowers: Did you realize that despite entering his third season, this could be the first complete offseason of Bowers’ career?

His knee surgery before the draft in 2011 not only negatively impacted his draft status, it also limited him once he joined the Bucs (and the NFL lockout left him unable to rehab with the team, too). Keep in mind he played only sparingly at the outset of his rookie season because the team took a cautious approach with his knee.

And we all know what happened around this time last year. Bowers suffered a torn Achilles tendon in offseason conditioning drills, making him a shell of himself once he returned in October.

So, this is a chance for Bowers to consistently work with his coaches on the field and to engage in full-team offseason workouts, without impediment, for the first time. This offers a chance for real improvement, whereas Bowers for much of the past two seasons was playing catch-up.

* DT Gerald McCoy: McCoy’s situation resembles Bowers’ in that injuries have been a factor for him in the past two offseasons. He suffered torn biceps in 2010 and 2011 and in the following offseasons was limited by those injuries.

McCoy’s breakout season in 2012 suggests he’s poised for more success. And that starts now, in the heat and humidity.

And here’s another area in which McCoy can benefit from being involved more this offseason: He can further establish himself as a leader on the field and in the locker room. That’s a role he has embraced as he already is carrying himself with a more serious demeanor.

* QB Josh Freeman: You might assume Freeman’s appearance on this list is related to the pressure he’s under to perform more consistently in 2013, the final year of his contract.

But there’s a more specific reason. This year is Freeman’s second in offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan’s intricate system. If you don’t think Freeman will benefit greatly from an offseason of work in this offense, then you don’t appreciate the difficult circumstances he’s faced in the past.

When Sullivan arrived last year, he was Freeman’s third offensive coordinator in four seasons. Continuity is important with any offense, but it’s vital in one like Sullivan’s because of the number of reads quarterbacks and receivers are required to make.

The numerous miscommunications and missed reads we saw from Freeman and his receivers last season should be reduced significantly in 2013.

* LB Dekoda Watson: Is he merely a solid special teams player and good backup linebacker or does Watson have what it takes to be a starter? We’ll soon find out.

The strong-side linebacker position needs to be filled and Watson will be one of the candidates. He’s entering his fourth season, and he clearly has talent. But if he’s not going to grab hold of his opportunity, one wonders if he’ll ever assume a larger role.

Watson is a true asset on special teams, with his knack for blocking kicks and making open field tackles greatly appreciated by coaches. But he’s got a chance to win this job, if he can beat out free agent signing Jonathan Casillas and a handful of others.

The notion that position battles begin in training camp is false. They are initiated, technically, during OTAs.

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

« #1 : May 16, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »

I hope that's true about freeman. Would make a world of difference.

Go Bucs

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 16, 2013, 02:47:40 AM »

I hope that's true about freeman. Would make a world of difference.

It should be.

In theory, the defense is also supposed to get the ball back more often and end more drives as well.

Getting the ball back to freeman more often (without getting scored on) would also make a huge difference.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #3 : May 16, 2013, 05:13:41 AM »

Watson?  Not really. 

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 16, 2013, 07:54:37 AM »

Good point . There were a lot of misreads last season.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 16, 2013, 08:31:31 AM »

What about Davin Joseph, as of right now he hasn't played a regular season game in 18 months, he'll be 30 in November, and for 2013 and 2014 is making $6 million completely non-guaranteed when younger, healthier player will need pay raises.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 16, 2013, 08:33:44 AM »

Watson?  Not really.

Why won't Watson benefit from good efforts this off season? 

I've never seen a deficit in his play, nor a flash of brilliance (less block punts).  He really should be ready now to produce.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #7 : May 16, 2013, 08:36:13 AM »

What about Davin Joseph, as of right now he hasn't played a regular season game in 18 months, he'll be 30 in November, and for 2013 and 2014 is making $6 million completely non-guaranteed when younger, healthier player will need pay raises.

Im not as worried about DJ.  But I agree he should be on a "watch list" because if he doesnt have a healthy year, I could see us replacing him next offseason.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

« #8 : May 16, 2013, 10:10:08 AM »

"* QB Josh Freeman: You might assume Freeman’s appearance on this list is related to the pressure he’s under to perform more consistently in 2013, the final year of his contract.

But there’s a more specific reason. This year is Freeman’s second in offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan’s intricate system. If you don’t think Freeman will benefit greatly from an offseason of work in this offense, then you don’t appreciate the difficult circumstances he’s faced in the past.

When Sullivan arrived last year, he was Freeman’s third offensive coordinator in four seasons. Continuity is important with any offense, but it’s vital in one like Sullivan’s because of the number of reads quarterbacks and receivers are required to make.

The numerous miscommunications and missed reads we saw from Freeman and his receivers last season should be reduced significantly in 2013."

When you have receivers running open in front of your eyes but you don't have the touch to get them the ball...the offensive system has NOTHING to do with it.
When you need 2 yards for a first down, scramble out of the pocket, don't run for it but over or under throw receivers...the offensive system has nothing to do with it.
When you constantly throw off of your back foot, with terrible results, but you plant and have great results...the offensive system has nothing to do with it.

Why are we still making excused for this guy. All of this stuff is common sense. He's been in the league now what 4 yrs.? There's no excuse for some of his mistakes.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

« #9 : May 16, 2013, 10:14:44 AM »

I've never seen a deficit in his play, nor a flash of brilliance (less block punts).  He really should be ready now to produce.

Probably the best blitzer of that group competing for playing time so if we're going to use a rush LB in any packages it might be him.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #10 : May 17, 2013, 05:14:26 AM »

Watson?  Not really.

sure he has a chance to win the SAM position but in a recent poll thread on who would win it I don't recall him getting any votes. 

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #11 : May 17, 2013, 05:16:18 AM »

Im not as worried about DJ.  But I agree he should be on a "watch list" because if he doesnt have a healthy year, I could see us replacing him next offseason.
we are not going to be able to afford 2 $7 mil a year OGs much longer.  Think his days are numbered regardless. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #12 : May 17, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »

Watson?

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

« #13 : May 17, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »

Watson?  Not really.

sure he has a chance to win the SAM position but in a recent poll thread on who would win it I don't recall him getting any votes.

Because PR posters are coach and scout material? Come on ;P we're idiots when it comes to football.

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #14 : May 18, 2013, 02:22:52 AM »

Watson?  Not really.

I think he is more of a career special teamer.  That is not necessarily a bad thing for a 7th rounder.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's a big offseason for these five Bucs « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools