Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's a big offseason for these five Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#15 : May 18, 2013, 08:34:38 AM

I think the point with Watson is that if he is ever going to make the jump from special teams to starter...this is his opportunity. He knows it, we know it, everyone knows it. He is young and has the most pass rush ability of all our LBs. So this IS a big off season for him. Time will tell  if he can take advantage of his situation and seize this opportunity, but it is most definitely a big year for him.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 18, 2013, 08:49:35 AM

I think the point with Watson is that if he is ever going to make the jump from special teams to starter...this is his opportunity. He knows it, we know it, everyone knows it. He is young and has the most pass rush ability of all our LBs. So this IS a big off season for him. Time will tell  if he can take advantage of his situation and seize this opportunity, but it is most definitely a big year for him.

Absolutely.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 18, 2013, 08:55:43 AM

If the Bucs ran a 3-4, Watson would be a lock for a rush OLB...  IMO  He's earned his stripes.

Dominik specialized in acquiring talented players who were bad fits for his coaches. - FootballOutsiders

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 18, 2013, 09:02:48 AM

Good post.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 18, 2013, 09:04:25 AM

I think the point with Watson is that if he is ever going to make the jump from special teams to starter...this is his opportunity.

He's had opportunities in the past with injuries to Quincy Black and Geno Hayes and pissed them away. 

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 18, 2013, 09:17:03 AM

What about Davin Joseph, as of right now he hasn't played a regular season game in 18 months, he'll be 30 in November, and for 2013 and 2014 is making $6 million completely non-guaranteed when younger, healthier player will need pay raises.

Exactly. He needs to get back to 2007-2008 form and stay healthy. If not, then he and his bloated salary can hit the road. There will be Gs available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds next year who would be able to come in and play at the same level, of not better, and cost a lot less.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 18, 2013, 09:30:06 AM

What about Davin Joseph, as of right now he hasn't played a regular season game in 18 months, he'll be 30 in November, and for 2013 and 2014 is making $6 million completely non-guaranteed when younger, healthier player will need pay raises.

Exactly. He needs to get back to 2007-2008 form and stay healthy. If not, then he and his bloated salary can hit the road. There will be Gs available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds next year who would be able to come in and play at the same level, of not better, and cost a lot less.

...and just in case any of you were unsure of Chace's feelings on Davin Joseph , he is telling you again ....for the 2,000th time.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#22 : May 18, 2013, 10:46:11 AM

I think the point with Watson is that if he is ever going to make the jump from special teams to starter...this is his opportunity.

He's had opportunities in the past with injuries to Quincy Black and Geno Hayes and pissed them away.

Sort of a half-fact...   Black was Morris's bell cow LB...   that alone was half the reason Watson didn't see the field much.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#23 : May 18, 2013, 10:57:35 AM

I don't know if he ever had a fair chance of replacing Black once Black got his new contract, but he has done pretty well when splitting snaps with Hayward. Point is, he is a 4 year vet now and he has to show he has evolved and is clearly a better option than Hayward. People are so used to immediate expectations now....but guys like Ruud, Lynch, and Quarles took 3 or 4 years to develop. So did many other solid starters around the league. Im not saying he is going to be great, or even that he'll win the starting job, but you shouldn't write him off yet. This is his year to earn it and he just might. Its far from unheard of.

Personally I think he has more potential than guys like Ryan Nece or Cato June....and they did just fine at Sam. I think Dekoda just needs to show he isn't just a finesse pass rusher, and that he is tough enough and nasty enough to play full time on an NFL front seven.
: May 18, 2013, 11:01:50 AM JDouble

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#24 : May 18, 2013, 12:11:09 PM

Or that he can read an offense.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : May 18, 2013, 04:22:26 PM

He doesn't need to read an offense. His job is to know his duties in whatever defensive play is called, and run it to perfection. It's the Mike's job to read the offense and adjust his defense... Or in our case the Will's job since David wears the dot.
: May 18, 2013, 04:24:04 PM JDouble

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#26 : May 18, 2013, 05:38:19 PM

Then maybe he just needs to show he can follow instructions

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
#27 : May 18, 2013, 11:42:03 PM

...and just in case any of you were unsure of Chace's feelings on Davin Joseph , he is telling you again ....for the 2,000th time.

Wish Josh was that consistant.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 19, 2013, 08:24:00 AM

But being on the strongside of the Defense,  a SAM also needs to be able to shed blockers,  or at least hold firm in his gap and force a ball carrier back inside to the heart of the defense. Not sure Watson has shown he can do either of those things. Unlike WILL which is more hunting and pursuing,  SAM is about holding your ground.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 19, 2013, 06:02:46 PM

I think you guys are expecting too much out of Watson. Dude was a 7th rounder, and is a fine special teams player.  This will be his 4th season. If he hasn't turned into Derrick Brooks by now, I don't think he will.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's a big offseason for these five Bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools