Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Chip On His Shoulder?.... Darrelle Revis Is Underrated on NFL’s Top 100 of 2013 « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 19, 2013, 12:00:08 AM »

Chip On His Shoulder? Darrelle Revis Is Underrated on NFL’s Top 100 of 2013

May 17th, 2013 at 7:47 pm by Leo Howell

The NFL Network is well underway announcing their top 100 players for 2013, a list of the best players in the NFL as judged by the players. The Buccaneers already have three players on the list, as Gerald McCoy, Dashon Goldson, and Darrelle Revis have all made the top 100 ranking. McCoy and Goldson are probably both deserving of borderline top 100 rankings…

But Darrelle Revis has no business as the 67th best player in the NFL. He should be much, much higher.

Last season, Revis ranked 5th on the list, and his injury has plummeted him down the list, as his peers obviously feel he’s unable to return to his previously dominant form. In fact, they ranked him below Earl Thomas of the Seahawks, and Chris Johnson of the Titans.

So why is this so ridiculous? As Robbie pointed out on this site a while ago, Darrelle Revis is an absolutely unique corner able of dominating in a way very few players are able to dominate at their respective positions. And according to Football Outsiders, despite not being heavily targeted, Darrelle Revis has been near the top of the league at getting stops and preventing big plays for his entire career. He shuts down half of the field and completely changes defenses, something no other corner in the NFL can do.

Darrelle Revis may be coming off of a major knee injury, and so there is reason to be concerned that he may not be the fifth best player in the NFL as a result. But even the most pessimistic projections should view 90% of Darrelle Revis as being a top 3 cornerback in this league (alongside Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson), and deserving of being rated higher than Big Ben and Stephen Tulloch.

Not to mention, all indications are that Darrelle Revis is progressing very well from his knee injury, well enough to have the confidence to start a Twitter war with Richard Sherman. Revis is ready to get back on the football field and prove himself, because younger players like Sherman and Peterson are threatening to overtake him as the best corner in the NFL. And despite the ridiculous amount of speculation that Revis is not a team player because of his holdouts, his Jets teammates said he was a locker room leader, and that he would be missed. In other words, there is nothing to indicate that Darrelle has not been working hard to get back to football at 100% for this season.

So where do you think Darrelle Revis should rank among NFL players? Do you think his ranking in this NFL poll is fair considering his circumstances?

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/05/17/chip-on-his-shoulder-darrelle-revis-is-underrated-on-nfls-top-100-of-2013/

RaHonde Barber

Rookie

« #1 : May 19, 2013, 12:18:39 AM »

A healthy Revis is head-and-shoulders above every other corner in the league. Period. End of story. His Quarterback Rating Against from 2011 was under 3. The next best guy was around 50.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #2 : May 19, 2013, 12:19:54 AM »

I love having him here with sumthin to prove

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

bucs449

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 19, 2013, 12:53:09 AM »

I love having him here with sumthin to prove

This season can't get here fast enough. Revis locking guys down with Barron and Goldson blasting cats over the middle. Man I can't wait.

ingey1968

Starter

« #4 : May 19, 2013, 01:11:18 AM »

I think the ranking has more to do with him missing last season then anything else. on one leg he is better then the 67th best player in the league

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 19, 2013, 01:13:07 AM »

Its a "what have you done for me lately " league.  When he is back, and puts up a few nice games, he will get the respect he deserves.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #6 : May 19, 2013, 05:15:26 AM »

How is he underrated? He played in 2 games and ranked in the top 100. He was also ranked higher than Tim Jennings who had a helluva season.

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #7 : May 19, 2013, 06:30:52 AM »

When I look back at video of Revis dominating every WR in the league I still can't believe we actually got that guy. I'm sure he will return to form and be ranked in the top 10 overall or at least top the CB on the next top 100.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #8 : May 19, 2013, 11:32:33 AM »

The ranking is obviously based on his injury.  A great season and he'll be back in the top ten.  If not, well...
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Chip On His Shoulder?.... Darrelle Revis Is Underrated on NFL’s Top 100 of 2013 « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools