Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pressure building in NFC South « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

gone

Hall of Famer
« #15 : May 19, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »

Mike Smith isn't going anywhere... I hate the Falcons but that guy has done a great job.
hes averaged over 11 wins a season and won 13 games last year and went to the NFC championship.  Yeah, real hot seat candidate!

Playoffs didnt save Tony Dungy.

Playoffs every year isn't enough.

Dungy was making a clear mistake with the offense, and as much as he built a good team it was stagnating and losing it's edge.  It wasn't just the playoff crashes.  Same thing with Lovie.  Smith isn't making any blatant blunders and his team isn't stagnating.  No way is he a candidate.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #16 : May 19, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »

Smith might have to win it all, to stick around.  Their window is closing fast. If they fall flat this season and don't even make the playoffs, Smitty could looking for employment elsewhere.
their franchise QB is what 30?  It aint closing fast.  As long as you got a QB everything else is an easy fix.

Exactly.  If they need to they can blow the team up around him and still have a very short rebuild time.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #17 : May 19, 2013, 07:04:40 PM »

I wonder if Gruden might be interested in the Atlanta job if Smith falters this season?

That would be a nightmare.

How so??

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #18 : May 19, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »

Mike Smith isn't going anywhere... I hate the Falcons but that guy has done a great job.
hes averaged over 11 wins a season and won 13 games last year and went to the NFC championship.  Yeah, real hot seat candidate!

Lovie had a nice season last year, but got his walking papers.  You gotta win the big games.

^^Exhibit A ^^

Exhibit B -------->> http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

gone

Hall of Famer
« #19 : May 19, 2013, 07:08:19 PM »

I wonder if Gruden might be interested in the Atlanta job if Smith falters this season?

How so??

Well, given the knock on Gru was he couldn't develop a QB, I think he'd do pretty well with Ryan there.  Of course as long as Rich "the Snake" McKay is there it ain't happening.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #20 : May 19, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »

How so??

He's shown he's the coach to take team on the verge to the next level. Plus we'd never hear the end of it if he kicked our asses.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #21 : May 19, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »

How so??

He's shown he's the coach to take team on the verge to the next level. Plus we'd never hear the end of it if he kicked our asses.

I ain't skurred. Bring it on!!

gone

Hall of Famer
« #22 : May 19, 2013, 07:57:31 PM »

How so??

I ain't skurred.

BigSombrero1

Rookie

« #23 : May 19, 2013, 08:26:53 PM »

Gruden with a capable QB would be a nightmare.  Just keep him far, far away from personnel moves and you would be fine.

I would say Rivera is on the hot seat as well.  I can't see him surviving another losing season and the Panthers look like a team very capable of turning in yet another losing season.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #24 : May 19, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »

Gruden with a capable QB would be a nightmare.  Just keep him far, far away from personnel moves and you would be fine.

I would say Rivera is on the hot seat as well.  I can't see him surviving another losing season and the Panthers look like a team very capable of turning in yet another losing season.

Shula is climbing his way up the ladder over there.  If Rivera gets canned, Mike might be hoping its Shula time.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

gone

Hall of Famer
« #25 : May 19, 2013, 10:29:37 PM »

Shula is climbing his way up the ladder over there.  If Rivera gets canned, Mike might be hoping its Shula time.

I dunno, the Panties can go either way there.  They could be bad or mediocre, or they could be a huge "surprise".  I think they have more potential than people give them credit for.

Holy Facepalm

Starter
« #26 : May 20, 2013, 10:49:29 AM »

Dungy's problem was not just being a "one and done" (although untrue, that was the moniker back in the day), but that we were regressing in the regular season as well.  11 wins to 10 wins to 9 wins.  The elite D window was closing.  Faster than we thought.

“There is going to be a Buccaneer way and they’re going to be Buccaneer men.’’
“There are 1,440 minutes in a day. What you make of them, that’s going to determine our success.’’

Buc45

Starter
« #27 : May 20, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »

Lovie had a nice season last year, but got his walking papers.  You gotta win the big games.

^^Exhibit A ^^

Exhibit B -------->> http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

That was situation of a bad relationship between the GM and the head coach.  This is not the case in Atlanta...No way does Mike Smith get fired this year.   Lovie has had some up and down seasons...Dungy's team got progressively worse....Mike Smith's team has simply gotten better and better each year (unfortunately)...

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #28 : May 20, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »

Mike Smith is not on the hot seat.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #29 : May 20, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »

Smith might have to win it all, to stick around.  Their window is closing fast. If they fall flat this season and don't even make the playoffs, Smitty could looking for employment elsewhere.

I completely disagree.

Their window is closing fast? What makes you think that?

Fact is, most of their core players are under 30 years of age. The ones who are above 30 are Roddy White(31), Asante Samuel(32), Jonathan Babineaux(31), Osi(31), and Gonzo(37). Everyone else is fairly young. Just because they have been a playoff team for much of the past 5 years, does not mean that their time is running out. It just means when they went to rebuild, that it didn't take them 6 years to get to the playoffs like it has the Bucs(potentially). They actually did it year one. Mike Smith might just be the best coach in the division. He is going nowhere.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pressure building in NFC South « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools