Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs seek answers as workouts near « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#30 : May 20, 2013, 12:05:49 PM

I think Kevin Ogletree steps up. I'm interested in the SLB battle.

I'm curious what leads you to believe this?

Overshadowed player in Dallas. In Tampa he will get most of the targets in the slot due to not having a emergence at TE. When called on in Dallas he produced. I like his speed and think he's a breakout player for the Bucs nice role guy to go with the Main parts.

He produced in one game.  After that, you don't know whether we was called on or not.  He could just as easily have been called on for the other 15 games and never produced as not been "called on" at all.

He produced in 3 games. NYG, Tampa Bay, and Atlanta. In those 3 games he got over 3 receptions. When you have Bryant, Witten, and Austin your not getting called on. Other than that Ogletree is twice the size of Underwood and I believe he has a lot more talent.
+1

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#31 : May 20, 2013, 12:08:41 PM

Glad some of you feel good about Smith, Underwood, and Ogletree as our WR depth. Personally, I don't think we our any better off now, than we were with guys like Stroughter, Benn, Parker, and Briscoe. Fingers crossed Mike and Vincent stay healthy.

I don't blame you JD. All of those guys have talent, Stroughter was nice but his foot killed him..same with Benn injuries. Parker and Briscoe work ethic. The new 3 have good work ethic, produced at the same level. With Vincent and Williams we don't need anything over Solid..it would be nice but solid will work with the Talent we have on offense. That is why I feel confident in the new group mainly Ogletree because he can beat the press better than Underwood/Smith if mike will goes slot.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#32 : May 20, 2013, 12:38:28 PM

Who is the best 3rd wide receiver in the league?    Are we really that bad off?   

Which one is it?

1. We don't have a great option (TE/WR)
2. Our expectations are unrealistic.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#33 : May 20, 2013, 12:53:46 PM

I'm pretty certain that Spence will win the NT spot.

If he can't beat out a very average 31 year old Gary Gibson for the spot, then it's not a good sign.

Apparently he's trying to beat the crap outta the O-Line first...

Roy Cummings ‏@RCummingsTBO 49m
Quite a spirited first day of OTAs for the Bucs. Rookie DT Akeem Spence got into a fight with RT Demar Dotson. Took a while to pull me apart

Roy Cummings ‏@RCummingsTBO 30m
Bucs coach Greg Schiano tells us the fight was actually between Akeem Spence and C Jeremy Zuttah.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#34 : May 20, 2013, 01:04:22 PM

Which one is it?

we don't have a great option, but I still lean towards #2

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#35 : May 20, 2013, 01:06:24 PM

Quite a spirited first day of OTAs for the Bucs. Rookie DT Akeem Spence got into a fight with RT Demar Dotson. Took a while to pull me apart

Bucs coach Greg Schiano tells us the fight was actually between Akeem Spence and C Jeremy Zuttah.
probably the 2 strongest guys on the team, right? As long as it was clean I like it

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 20, 2013, 01:09:42 PM

probably the 2 strongest guys on the team, right? As long as it was clean I like it

Yep...they're both known for their weight room strength...this is a blurb from Holder on the fight:

* Rookie Akeem Spence, drafted in the fourth round, got the majority of the snaps as the starting nose tackle and seems on track to win the job. Schiano called him possible one of the NFLs strongest players, and Spence showed his toughness and resolve when he got into a dustup with guard Jeremy Zuttah. The two had to be separated, something that required multiple players to accomplish.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#37 : May 20, 2013, 01:18:17 PM

I think Kevin Ogletree steps up. I'm interested in the SLB battle.

I'm curious what leads you to believe this?

Overshadowed player in Dallas. In Tampa he will get most of the targets in the slot due to not having a emergence at TE. When called on in Dallas he produced. I like his speed and think he's a breakout player for the Bucs nice role guy to go with the Main parts.

He produced in one game.  After that, you don't know whether we was called on or not.  He could just as easily have been called on for the other 15 games and never produced as not been "called on" at all.

He produced in 3 games. NYG, Tampa Bay, and Atlanta. In those 3 games he got over 3 receptions. When you have Bryant, Witten, and Austin your not getting called on. Other than that Ogletree is twice the size of Underwood and I believe he has a lot more talent.

Also don't overlook the fact that the new Receivers coach came over from Dallas and that Olgetree was signed after we hired him. Garrett will have an investment in making sure Olgetree was worth the investment if he recommended him to Dom.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : May 20, 2013, 02:14:53 PM

If he can't beat out a very average 31 year old Gary Gibson for the spot, then it's not a good sign.
its not a bad one either.

Really? Than what kind of sign would it be?

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#39 : May 20, 2013, 02:20:35 PM

That he's a 4th Round Draft pick who needs more time to beat a guy who is familiar with the league. How many 4th rounders come in and start immediately?

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 20, 2013, 02:21:16 PM

Also don't overlook the fact that the new Receivers coach came over from Dallas and that Olgetree was signed after we hired him. Garrett will have an investment in making sure Olgetree was worth the investment if he recommended him to Dom.

Very good point - forgot about that...

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#41 : May 20, 2013, 02:22:19 PM

Which one is it?

I think it is clearly 1.

Having a solid 3rd option is not a luxury in today's NFL. Whether it be a TE or a slot receiver, you need to have a very reliable guy as your #3 option. Not having one will limit your success, especially when it comes to converting 3rd downs and extending drives....which is something Freeman has always struggled with anyways. That's why drafting a back up QB in the 3rd instead of attempting to give Freeman a dynamic 3rd option seemed so stupid to me.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#42 : May 20, 2013, 02:28:04 PM

That he's a 4th Round Draft pick who needs more time to beat a guy who is familiar with the league. How many 4th rounders come in and start immediately?

The NT in our 4-3 defense is about as simple as it gets and if the Bucs didn't feel that a mid round draft pick could handle it, then they should have kept Miller or signed a free agent DT. They didn't though, so Spence is expected to start right away and if he can't, then it isn't good. It wouldn't mean he couldn't eventually get better, but it would certainly make the odds look slim. We are talking about beating out a 31 year old career back up that has skipped around from team to team, played over in the European league, and has never once been anything more than an average depth guy. He starts if he has to, not because a team wants him to.

So if Spence can't win the job, then yes....I think it is a bad sign.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#43 : May 20, 2013, 02:42:35 PM

NT doesn't sound very important

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#44 : May 20, 2013, 02:45:52 PM

Spence will probably be the starter, but Gibson will still get a fair amount of snaps. That's a good thing, IMO...keep those guys as fresh as possible.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs seek answers as workouts near « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools