Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: does anyone else worry about... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#15 : May 19, 2013, 12:55:41 PM

I'm glad we have a coach willing to talk up competition and make players compete. Raheem calling Josh Johnson a career backup after he'd beaten out Freeman was incredibly obnoxious no matter how correct he ended up being. You talk all your players up, you create a culture of competition and earning your way. I'm fine with this. If Josh doesn't have the mental capacity to handle it, he's not a franchise QB anyway.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 19, 2013, 01:22:50 PM

"Competition" is for guys that have contracts going into farther seasons, rookies, etc.

Schiano is going to piss him off and it may not matter what the Bucs offer him towards the end of the season.

This whole thing stinks of "Doug Williams" part two. We're going wish we had freeman back once Glennon starts to play.

Schiano reminds me of a kid at Christmas. He gets an awesome toy, but would rather play with the box it came in instead.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 19, 2013, 01:27:46 PM

"Competition" is for guys that have contracts going into farther seasons, rookies, etc.

Schiano is going to piss him off and it may not matter what the Bucs offer him towards the end of the season.

This whole thing stinks of "Doug Williams" part two. We're going wish we had freeman back once Glennon starts to play.

Schiano reminds me of a kid at Christmas. He gets an awesome toy, but would rather play with the box it came in instead.

The only way it can be "Doug Williams" part two is if Freeman gets us to the NFCCG.  If he does, pay him.

Hoist the Battleflag

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : May 19, 2013, 01:28:40 PM

I'm not worried. Freeman has shown he's capable of winning games in this leage and it's not like he's being asked to win games by himself. We have a solid ground game and an improving pass defense to go along with the leagues best run D. If we don't get to the playoffs with this talent, it speaks more about Schiano's coaching than Freemans accuracy.
That said, if Freeman doesnt get the big contract to stay here, there will be a number of teams in a bidding war for his services.My guess is Freeman earns a franchise contract to stay in Tampa.
What nonsense.

Without Freeman playing solid ball, the BUcs will be one and doners, in all likelihood anyways.  Freemans accuracy is a major problem.  For you to sit there and say if the Bucs don;t get to the playoffs it is more about S than about Free is absurd.

How many years has Freeman played in the NFL and what is his record?  Regardless of situation, he is what he is, his record defines him.  HIs play defines him.  What has Freeman done in these years to improve his overall quality of play?

S may actually be hampered by Freemans inability to execute, to be consistent, to not be afraid to run and take a hit occasionally without going "ouchy".  THAT may be the reason they do not make the playoffs.

I have seen some of Glennons throws, and when he is on, some of them are remarkable.  He has a skillset similar to what the offense needs, and if Free cannot make the throws, make the reads, then perhaps Glennon can.  Time will tell.

Keep in mind that Freeman has never been a QB associated with accuracy, and he has never been a field general on the level of the elite QBs in the NFL,  He is a quiet dude, who freaks out when the shlit hits the fan.

Free is more in jeopardy than S is...way more.  Another wildy inconsistent season filled with losses to quality teams will speak more about what Free is, and what ails the offense.

Bottom line:  you need to get off Freemans jock.  The superlatives you have thrown at him are ridiculous.  Let him provehe is capable of improvement.  What has he done to improve?  Bueller?  Bueller?

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 19, 2013, 01:55:04 PM

Freemans accuracy is a major problem.
No it's not. His completion % is low but makes up for it with YPA.

For you to sit there and say if the Bucs don;t get to the playoffs it is more about S than about Free is absurd.

He had 25 TDs, 8 INTs and we were 6-7.

How many years has Freeman played in the NFL and what is his record?  Regardless of situation, he is what he is, his record defines him.  HIs play defines him.  What has Freeman done in these years to improve his overall quality of play?

In 2009 he took over a team that was 0-7 and could have legitimately gone 0-16 if it wasn't for him. Now it's being thrown back in his face he went 3-6 with them? You just can't bring up his record, and say "regardless of the situation" when he's had the #30 and #29 defenses the last 2 years and the defense has blown nine 4th qtr leads since 2009.

[
S may actually be hampered by Freemans inability to execute, to be consistent, to not be afraid to run and take a hit occasionally without going "ouchy".  THAT may be the reason they do not make the playoffs.

You're right. It wasn't the #32 pass defense, #29 in sacks, or the #27 passer rating against. Good call.

Keep in mind that Freeman has never been a QB associated with accuracy, and he has never been a field general on the level of the elite QBs in the NFL,  He is a quiet dude, who freaks out when the shlit hits the fan.

You cannot be serious. How many times has he put the team on his back in the 4th qtr?

Free is more in jeopardy than S is...way more.  Another wildy inconsistent season filled with losses to quality teams will speak more about what Free is, and what ails the offense.

Freeman will be a starting QB in the NFL for a very long time. If Schano ever benched him for Glennon he'd be back at Rutgers before the season ended.
: May 19, 2013, 01:56:51 PM JC5100

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#20 : May 19, 2013, 02:05:21 PM

Is the op the same guy who is worried about Bowers getting 15 sacks?

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 19, 2013, 02:10:44 PM

My cousins dog and Schiano's youngest daughters dog get their hair did at the same groomer.   Apparently, my cousins dog thinks her dog is stuck up and freeman is lazy and everyone hates him...

/seriously...

Free plays well, he gets a new contract and off we go ...  Free plays poorly, we franchise him, cut him and/or trade him (or some combination)

Which results in us taking our lumps in 2014 with Glennon or more likely a brand new 1st rounder because we are picking top 5.   

Its not rocket science.    There is no subversive plot to this -  Our depth now at QB is a +  ...   a little insurance and someone to groom over the next couple years.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#22 : May 19, 2013, 03:01:48 PM

Quote from: MiltonMack21 link=topic=1305616.msg1933167#msg1933167 date=
t. Schiano is a dope and will be out of a job soon enough.
how soon?

When we miss the playoffs after the season. His devotion to his guy will get him canned.

audioboy

Rookie

#23 : May 19, 2013, 03:10:56 PM

As the OP I am not worried about Bowers getting 15 sacks, but IF Bowers was the most pivotal player on the roster and the coach was constantly showing a lack of support I WOULD be worried.  It seems Freeman's success is the biggest key to the season and Schiano constantly talking up his backup seems a bit counterproductive for this season and the future

Hate

Hall of Famer
#24 : May 19, 2013, 03:15:56 PM

Craziness!

-------------------------------------------------------

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#25 : May 19, 2013, 03:35:18 PM

My cousins dog and Schiano's youngest daughters dog get their hair did at the same groomer.   Apparently, my cousins dog thinks her dog is stuck up and freeman is lazy and everyone hates him...

/seriously...

Free plays well, he gets a new contract and off we go ...  Free plays poorly, we franchise him, cut him and/or trade him (or some combination)

Which results in us taking our lumps in 2014 with Glennon or more likely a brand new 1st rounder because we are picking top 5.   

Its not rocket science.    There is no subversive plot to this -  Our depth now at QB is a +  ...   a little insurance and someone to groom over the next couple years.

^^^^ this

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#26 : May 19, 2013, 03:40:25 PM

Craziness!

True and a good example of what makes message boards funny.  The discussion is "crazy" because you have two posters at the extremes.  JC oversells Freeman to defend him, Boid undersells Freeman to trash him. The only thing one can say about Freeman definitely is that people feel strongly about the guy, one way or the other. The one thing you can say about message boards definitively is that few are looking for middle ground (even when the truth often lies somewhere in the middle)
: May 19, 2013, 03:42:02 PM VinBucFan

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#27 : May 19, 2013, 03:54:58 PM

let the best player win . .  who care who it is?
   LOL; it really IS that simple. I'm not in love with Josh, but if he plays well, no reason to bench him. If not, and Glennon is "getting it" and Schiano thinks he can get us a "W", Glennon gets his shot; that's how competition works...

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 19, 2013, 06:21:20 PM

Craziness!

Learn something. YPA takes into account how often you complete passes and how long they're for.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#29 : May 19, 2013, 06:31:21 PM

True and a good example of what makes message boards funny. 

It's only a good example of fans not knowing that they want. Everyone wanted a vertical passing game that put up yards and points, they get it then complain about completion percentage.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: does anyone else worry about... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools