Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers Training Camp Preview 2013.....Wide Receivers « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: May 20, 2013, 12:00:42 AM

Buccaneers Training Camp Preview 2013: Wide Receivers

By Sander Philipse

on May 19 2013, 8:08p

USA TODAY Sports

Previewing training camp position by position, we now come to the wide receivers.

On the roster: Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, Jheranie Boyd, Chris Denton, David Douglas, Jerry Johnson, Kevin Ogletree, Chris Owusu, Eric Page, Steve Smith, Tiquan Underwood, Tim Wright

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have two outstanding starters in Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams, but as with seemingly every position on offense they lack quality depth. That's not because of a lack of wide receivers, though. They have more than a few of those. It's just that most of them lack the quality to make an impact.

Who will be number three?

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers aren't necessarily looking for a slot receiver, but they do need someone to be the third wide receiver on passing downs. The Bucs like to move Vincent Jackson inside to the slot to take advantage of matchups and attack the middle of the field, so the receivers will have to show that they can play on the outside as well as the inside.

Last year, Tiquan Underwood won that job, but that was mostly due to a lack of competition. After all, he was initially cut before being re-signed two weeks into the season. In the end he managed to grab 28 passes for 425 yards but seemed to struggle with the complicated Tampa Bay offense. More than once the receiver ran one route, while Josh Freeman anticipated a different route. He'll have to sort that out to hang on to his spot.

Kevin Ogletree was brought in to earn that third receiver spot, but he hasn't exactly been productive. He managed 32 catches for 436 yards and four touchdown last season with the Dallas Cowboys, but was far from a consistent producer for Tony Romo. To be fair, he was the fourth target in an offense that featured Dez Bryant, Jason Witten and Miles Austin, so there weren't many balls to go around.

The third player who may find himself with this job is former New York Giant Steve Smith. He will be most familiar with the Buccaneers' offense, owing to his previous work with offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan. Unfortunately the former Pro Bowler suffered a knee injury in 2010 and hasn't been productive since then. He has managed just 18 games over the past two seasons due to injury and poor play, catching a dismal 25 passes for 255 yards. Getting back to his former form looks like a very long shot, but if he can do it, he could be a very valuable contributor.

The Big Guys

Wide receivers with good size are always intriguing, even more so if they have some speed to go with it. The Bucs have a few of those players on the roster aside from Vincent Jackson. Rutgers rookie Tim Wright has great size at 6'4", 220 lbs but ran just a 4.65 40-yard dash at his pro day, per nfldraftscout.com.

Jerry Johnson out of UCLA may be more intriguing at 6'3", 207 lbs and a 4.5 4--yard dash at his pro day, again according to nfldraftscout.com. Finally, 6'1", 187 lbs. Jheranie Boyd offers some decent size with a 4.43 40-yard dash. Speed and size is always a good combination, and he also put up stellar vertical jump and broad jump numbers. Boyd hasn't produced much in college, in part due to an injury as a senior, but he appears to have the athletic traits to become a possible surprise producer for the Buccaneers.

The Small Guys

Those small receivers often end up playing in the slot, using their short-area quickness to elude linebackers and produce after the catch. The Bucs have a number of guys who could play that role: Eric Page, Chris Denton, Chris Owusu and the aforementioned Steve Smith could all function in such a role. All of them measure 6'0" or less. There's also 6'1" David Douglas who I can't really fit in with either group, so I'll just talk about him here, too.

Eric Page was tremendously productive in college, but played at lowly Toledo. He produced three consecutive seasons with over 1,100 yards receiving, although his per-catch average dropped from 14.1 in 2009 to 11.2 in 2010 and just 9.5 in 2011. Still, add in good production as a kick returner with four career kick return touchdowns and he may have a shot to make the roster.

Chris Denton was reasonably productive as a receiver at Mount Union, racking up 960 yards on 73 passes during his final season, but he really stood out as a punt returner with five returns for touchdowns in 2012. That alone may get him a roster spot, because the Bucs could really use any and all returners.

Chris Owusu may be the most intriguing guy, though. The Bucs picked him up off The Chargers' practice squad last season and stashed him on their inactive list week after week, until they finally gave him a shot to produce late in the season. He got just one reception for 24 yards, but he's still a player who could break out suddenly this season. He was a very productive kick returned and a wide receiver on the rise during his college career at Stanford, but three concussions put an end to his career there. Despite running a 4.36 40-yard dash at the combine he went undrafted. If he's developed he could be an intriguing weapon -- or he may just do nothing. Who knows at this point?

Finally, David Douglas was an undrafted rookie last year who has stuck around on the practice squad and may have developed into something this season. He'll have to do it as a receiver, though: he did nothing as a returner in college. His production wasn't stellar, either, although he did end his final season with 65 catches for a very metal 666 yards. At 6'1", 205 lbs he has perfectly adequate size as an outside receiver and may be able to make his mark there.

Projected roster: Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, Kevin Ogletree, Chris Owusu, Tiquan Underwood, Eric Page

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/5/19/4346538/buccaneers-training-camp-preview-2013-wide-receivers

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 20, 2013, 01:52:55 AM

I don't think Underwood makes the team.  They may go with faster, quicker options.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 20, 2013, 02:23:29 AM

I don't think Underwood makes the team.  They may go with faster, quicker options.

I hope he does. He was good in practice and gave our corners a hard time, he's been in the system, and he's been dependable when out on the field. If he doesnt make the team I hope its because someone is really turning heads.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 20, 2013, 02:29:55 AM

in the 2010 draft class, we were targeting WR in the second for sure. If we had Benn reated so high, I wonder if actually had Demaryius Thomas (a better version of Benn) above him on the rankings. If Denver didn't take Thomas earlier than expected and we drafted him, that would have made a huge difference.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 20, 2013, 02:42:09 AM

Speed is literally the only aspect of Underwood's game that doesn't need improvement. You can't get much faster than a 4.3 40.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 20, 2013, 02:46:23 AM

Speed is literally the only aspect of Underwood's game that doesn't need improvement. You can't get much faster than a 4.3 40.

I hear ya man. What I am sayin is,  a smaller, quicker, Welker type guy for the slot.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 20, 2013, 07:32:26 AM

I hear ya man. What I am sayin is,  a smaller, quicker, Welker type guy for the slot.

If we wanted a smaller, quicker, Welker type slot guy, with 4.3 speed, ....we would have thrown a late round pick at Ryan Swooope instead of questionable DE's.....

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 20, 2013, 08:15:50 AM

Underwood may be the fastest guy on the team actually, but he showed his weakness last year going alligator arms when crossing the middle of the field. It was clear he wasn't comfortable with that. Can't have it, we need a guy who will catch the ball first and then protect himself, not the other way around.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#8 : May 20, 2013, 08:42:28 AM

I really don't know why fans throw Underwood under the bus often. He has his faults but he did come in on multiple third downs and keep drives alive. Thats what I want in a 3rd down receiver.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 20, 2013, 10:06:52 AM

I really don't know why fans throw Underwood under the bus often. He has his faults but he did come in on multiple third downs and keep drives alive. Thats what I want in a 3rd down receiver.

He also ran the wrong options on routes a bunch of times costing the team on 3rd down and was hit or miss in traffic. Very inconsistent. Hell have to improve a fair amount to keep his job. I dont think anyone is bashing him, but his play last year was definitely not the answer they need at #3.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 20, 2013, 10:12:14 AM

He also ran the wrong options on routes a bunch of times costing the team on 3rd down and was hit or miss in traffic. Very inconsistent. Hell have to improve a fair amount to keep his job. I dont think anyone is bashing him, but his play last year was definitely not the answer they need at #3.

According to whom?

The dog ate my e-mail.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#11 : May 20, 2013, 10:27:00 AM

Did ok for somebody with really no experience in that kind of a role or in the offense, so I would say let's see what he can do this year after some time with Freeman and the coaches.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#12 : May 20, 2013, 08:28:57 PM

Underwood looked good on the outside in the pre-season. I honestly think he's better suited there; less so in the slot... JMO...

CaliBucsFan

Second String
#13 : May 20, 2013, 08:35:30 PM

I'd rather see Free dump it off to Doug Martin before throwing to any of these guys

\\\"Im not afraid of anyone. They put their pants on just like I put my pants on.

-Kadeem Edwards

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#14 : May 20, 2013, 09:13:51 PM

I like Underwood, always have actually, but dude needs to step his game up imo. From what I saw last year, he came through alot on 3rd downs, but he also cost us alot (I wont mention routes because I cant say for sure, nor am I an expert in any way as I never played, just a big fan of the game, but there was more than enough dropped passes). I hope he makes the team, but I also hope that he earns it by making those catches that last year killed a couple drives, and may have cost us a game or two in the long run had drive x kept going. I can think of one play around midfield that drove me nuts, but Im not sure what game it was or Id tell yall. Fact of the matter is he had WAY too many drops and that needs to be corrected. Heres hoping theres no injuries to V-Jax, MW19, or Dougie, coz those are the first 3 reads if you ask me (and I dont think many would argue it) coz after that it doesnt look too great at the moment. Hopefully Stocker/Crabtree excel, that Steve Smith can stay healthy and regain his form, and that TU (or whoever else) can step it up and become usable.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers Training Camp Preview 2013.....Wide Receivers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools