Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alex Smith runs the pistol. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
: May 20, 2013, 05:01:16 PM

So the trend is in now...wildcat...now the pistol...I think the pistol might stick around a little longer, with the likes of RG3 being a media darling, and Kaepernick being the big leperchaun running it in SF.

I am not sure if Smitty is as dynamic, but he has some wheels.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204566/article/alex-smith-runs-pistol-at-kansas-city-chiefs-workouts

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 20, 2013, 05:03:34 PM

The pistol won't be some fad. It will stick around. In its basic form, it's a way to keep a down hill running game out of the gun, and what it can potentially do was shown by the Niners last year.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 20, 2013, 05:21:11 PM

Maybe...but S is trying to bring back the eighties man!

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#3 : May 20, 2013, 06:11:17 PM

Doesn't matter the scheme as long as you run it well.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

gone

Hall of Famer
#4 : May 20, 2013, 07:42:14 PM

Doesn't matter the scheme as long as you run it well.

I'll disagree with you there.  The game used to be more balanced and that was reasonably true, but now it's different.  It doesn't matter how well you run a run-based scheme, you are limited in your realistic offensive potential compared to a team that is pass oriented.  The rule changes give a huge advantage to teams that can run a passing offense well.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#5 : May 20, 2013, 08:08:00 PM

The pistol isn't a scheme. It's running the single back formation with the QB lined up in the gun. Gives you all the advantages of passing from the gun and running downhill. Incredible it's taken this long for teams to start using it. It doesn't even need a mobile QB.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#6 : May 20, 2013, 10:27:30 PM

Sounds like a "scheme" to me.

Whatever you may want to label it as, I wonder how long it stays...

Time will tell.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#7 : May 20, 2013, 11:59:14 PM

Time will tell.

It will stay until QBs start getting the crap knocked out of them.

In college QBs aren't getting paid. In the NFL they are your highest paid, so it won't be long before teams start to rethink things.

fanofkit

Pro Bowler

#8 : May 21, 2013, 12:20:44 AM

Time will tell.

It will stay until QBs start getting the crap knocked out of them.

In college QBs aren't getting paid. In the NFL they are your highest paid, so it won't be long before teams start to rethink things.

Its conceivable that for a team truly commited to making the system work, QBs will become what RBs are.  Expendable to a degree.  If a team is commited to the pistol offense, it wouldn't be hard to load up on QBs like Josh Johnson or the Michigan QB that came out this year ( sorry, his name escapes me...) QBs with the same skill set that come cheaply.  I know I wouldn't want to trust my fate in their hands, but a coach determined to make his offense work, can find plenty of candidates to carry on the roster.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#9 : May 21, 2013, 12:37:50 AM

So the trend is in now...wildcat...now the pistol...I think the pistol might stick around a little longer, with the likes of RG3 being a media darling, and Kaepernick being the big leperchaun running it in SF.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204566/article/alex-smith-runs-pistol-at-kansas-city-chiefs-workouts

That was one of those non-Bucs games where I was completely enthralled as if the Bucs were playing. What a game Smith had. I was so happy that they put the Saints down.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 21, 2013, 03:01:23 AM

The pistol isn't a scheme. It's running the single back formation with the QB lined up in the gun. Gives you all the advantages of passing from the gun and running downhill. Incredible it's taken this long for teams to start using it. It doesn't even need a mobile QB.
+1.

What most people think of when they hear the pistol offense they think of RGIII and Kaepernick running zone reads in the pistol. But to say thats the only way to use the pistol is wrong, You can run a normal pro style offense from the pistol.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 21, 2013, 10:32:28 AM

That was one of those non-Bucs games where I was completely enthralled as if the Bucs were playing. What a game Smith had. I was so happy that they put the Saints down.
yeah, I smiled.

I disagree with the assumption the pistol of now can be run efficiently in the NFL with a relatively slow QB.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#12 : May 21, 2013, 10:54:19 AM

I haven't paid enough attention but is the rb lined deeper than usual? Or is the shotgun shallower? Either way NFL defenses will adjust. And QBs accuracy will dip after taking a few shots.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 21, 2013, 11:09:15 AM

I haven't paid enough attention but is the rb lined deeper than usual? Or is the shotgun shallower? Either way NFL defenses will adjust. And QBs accuracy will dip after taking a few shots.

The RB is 3 yds behind the QB. It can be at 3/6, 4/7, 4.5/7.5, or 5/8. It doesn't require a QB who can run but it makes it more effective. It's not a scheme. It's a set of formations like what you could do from gun or under center. I think the pistol is here to stay big time. Formation wise, it presents a ton of problems to a defense.
: May 21, 2013, 11:15:57 AM bucs449

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#14 : May 21, 2013, 11:24:41 AM

The RB is 3 yds behind the QB. It can be at 3/6, 4/7, 4.5/7.5, or 5/8. It doesn't require a QB who can run but it makes it more effective. It's not a scheme. It's a set of formations like what you could do from gun or under center. I think the pistol is here to stay big time. Formation wise, it presents a ton of problems to a defense.
BINGO.

LSU has utilized the pistol for years even when they haven't had mobile QBs. It's a formation that simply takes advantage of the amount of space there is in the backfield. Running the read option continuously out of the pistol is a scheme. Using the formation isn't, especially if you keep the same principles as a regular formation, specifically the single back, I.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Alex Smith runs the pistol. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools