Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mark Dominik apparently has a little evil genius in him « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : May 22, 2013, 12:01:12 AM »

Dominik: Thoughts of Revis trade began after knee injury

Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer 

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:25am

AP photo
New Bucs cornerback Darrelle Revis, left, rides a stationary bike as he talks to Todd Toriscelli, Director of Sports Medicine and Performance during Monday's optional workout.

Mark Dominik apparently has a little evil genius in him. Either that or he simply made an incredibly accurate guess on the future of Darrelle Revis.

In any case, during reporter Andrea Kremer’s latest behind-the-scenes report on Revis’ rehab for NFL Network, Dominik, the Bucs' general manager, revealed the very first time he thought about acquiring Revis from his former team, the Jets.

It was, interestingly, Week 3 of last season – the same day Revis suffered what turned out to be a torn ACL, ending his 2012 season. It seems like a strange thought to occur to Dominik on a day when Revis’ ability to return to his elite level was at least somewhat in doubt.

Obviously, Dominik nailed it.

It seems Dominik never shared the story with Revis himself, either. When Kremer told Revis what Dominik had said, he responded by saying, “That’s just mind boggling.”

And it is.

The video is worth watching to get a better sense of some of the things Revis is able to do physically at this point in his rehab. As we witnessed on Monday during OTAs, he’s got quite a ways to go. But he’s working feverishly and he has the undivided attention of the medical staff to help him along the way.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #1 : May 22, 2013, 12:07:17 AM »

Saw that, heard him (Dom) refer to the scenario, and my jaw dropped. I was amazed at how quickly Dom was processing this situation. And he won it. He fleeced the Jets for the thirteenth pick and a conditional?

IMO, The Island will be fine. Fingers crossed that there aren't any more injuries to the best defender in the entire league. I'm still amazed he is a Buc. Just stunned.

Even if Revis isn't a marginal defender anymore, yeah right, the loss is really not that bad considering what the Bucs have given up in what was prognosticated as a weak draft class. Excellent strategy by Dom.

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #2 : May 22, 2013, 06:41:01 AM »

Boid, I absolutely agree. I know there are reasons why some think Dom is on the hot seat this year, but his work over the last two years appears to be amazing. Every GM has a deal that they made that they wish they shouldn't, a guy they passed on that they wish they hadn't or a guy that they believed in turn out to be just smoke and mirrors, but if the Glazers fire Dom at the end of this season, assuming that the season doesn't turn out well, Dom won't be on the market long and he'll be one of those guys that we wish we had back.

Dom is learning from his mistakes, and he appears to be making fewer and fewer of them. I honestly hope the man is in charge here for a very long time.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #3 : May 22, 2013, 07:05:56 AM »

Yessir.

ingey1968

Starter

« #4 : May 22, 2013, 07:07:25 AM »

Jets didnt get fleeced at all. Had they not dealt him they would have let him walk next season and just gotten a comp pick. they did as well as could be expected.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #5 : May 22, 2013, 07:08:27 AM »

If Dom was a real genius he would have just drafted a good CB which would have been cheaper short term and better for the team long term.  Having to trade two picks for a 28 year old vet is basically covering for your draft mistakes.  Perspective people.  Hell, he even failed with last year's big FA CB signing. 
« : May 22, 2013, 07:12:15 AM Skull and Bones »

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #6 : May 22, 2013, 07:12:24 AM »

A GM has many jobs. Draft and acquisition of elite talent is part and parcel v

Some haterade is being drunk big time, and it is blatantly obvious. Jets got robbed. Ask their fans. Ask us. There is your perspective taken from a vantage with a superior position. SMH. Real haters are pathetic.
« : May 22, 2013, 07:15:18 AM Boid Fink »

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #7 : May 22, 2013, 07:14:16 AM »

Hey, did he fail with Jackson and Nicks? 

Genius.

How about Goldson?

How about Revis?

That is a lot of talent. What team has done better with acquiring stud FA mercs?

ingey1968

Starter

« #8 : May 22, 2013, 07:16:36 AM »

so if they let him walk they get a 3rd or 4th, yet get that plus a 1st. not hating dude, just facts. Like it or not. In the big picture they did as well as they could.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #9 : May 22, 2013, 07:17:02 AM »

So far Nicks hasn't done anything for us and Jackson has had one good year....too early to say really. Winslow looked like a great trade for the first two years, then quickly turned into a "Meh...we shoulda kept our 2nd round pick" type thing. Only time will tell if Revis, Goldson, Jackson, and Nicks were as good of acquisitions as they seem. Of course we didn't give up a 1st and a 3rd for anyone but Revis, so he is held to a higher standard. He needs to have a much larger impact than the other three in order to have been worth it.
« : May 22, 2013, 07:20:01 AM JDouble »

Draft Aaron Donald

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #10 : May 22, 2013, 07:18:55 AM »

Yeah...Nicks is an absolute road grading monster.

I'll be sure to remind you guys what elite talent looks like come game day.

Jackson is a beast. Wow. Really?

Some of you guys need more coffee and some ginkgo biloba.

ingey1968

Starter

« #11 : May 22, 2013, 07:21:07 AM »

I never said the guy was a bad GM. I dont have a issue with him. I have an issue with saying the Jets got fleeced, They didnt.  I think he has did a good job on his Free Agent signings and/or trades.

Genius.

How about Goldson?

How about Revis?

That is a lot of talent. What team has done better with acquiring stud FA mercs?

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #12 : May 22, 2013, 08:15:23 AM »

If Dom was a real genius he would have just drafted a good CB which would have been cheaper short term and better for the team long term.  Having to trade two picks for a 28 year old vet is basically covering for your draft mistakes.  Perspective people.  Hell, he even failed with last year's big FA CB signing.

Yeah, all you have to do is throw a pick a high pick at a CB and you're set for 10 years, right Myron Lewis? Right Aqib Talib? Right Sabby Piscitelli?

A proven commodity in Revis is infinitely better than hoping Xavier Rhodes would be good enough to cover someone this year. We got a high pick at CB anyways, so what exactly are ya complaining about?

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #13 : May 22, 2013, 08:22:34 AM »

Nothing. He is complaining just to complain.

Failing to give due credit is cowardice. This Buc team is LOADED. Few pieces here and there...step at a time...exponential growth...learning from mistakes...etc.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #14 : May 22, 2013, 08:28:30 AM »

Simply... I disagree.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mark Dominik apparently has a little evil genius in him « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools