Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Counting down the greatest coaches in NFL history ....# 1 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Hate

Hall of Famer
#15 : May 27, 2013, 09:47:53 PM

IMO, we fired the best HC we had and hired Dungy.

What exactly are you basing this off of?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#16 : May 27, 2013, 10:02:26 PM

I'm not sure Dungy would make a top 50 list, top 100 for Gruden. Gruden was better suited to be an OC. IMO, we fired the best HC we had and hired Dungy. Schiano will outshine them all in time (Buccaneer coaches).

Sam Wyche the best HC the Bucs ever had?  Maybe I read that wrong.

Given the 6 years Dungy got or the 7 years Gruden got, Wyche would have built a consistent winner, if not a league championship. It's just my opinion. Dungy peaked in '99 and got progressively worse his last two years. Gruden got the team over the hump and then became erratic. John McKay isn't worth mentioning in this conversation. I honestly believe Schiano will outshine them all but Wyche was the most capable to this point IMO.

I actually liked Wyche.    But don't see him in that light.  But I respect your opinion.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

#17 : May 27, 2013, 10:21:05 PM

Wyche had next to nothing to build on.  Getting Nickerson in the first days of free agency was one of the best moves under Culverhouse.

My logo is bigger than your logo

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#18 : May 28, 2013, 12:55:35 PM

Wyche's record with the Bengals and drafting Sapp, Lynch, and Brooks. The man had to assemble a team from scratch, and simply wasn't given enough time. He lost two SBs, but at least he got there. It's hardly a disgrace to lose to Walsh and the 'Niners in that era. He may not be an iconic coach like Lombardi or Walsh, but he was the best the Bucs ever had.............again, that's just my opinion.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#19 : May 28, 2013, 02:14:55 PM

^^^

Sparky, can't say that I disagree.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#20 : May 29, 2013, 12:58:26 AM

Wyche's record with the Bengals and drafting Sapp, Lynch, and Brooks. The man had to assemble a team from scratch, and simply wasn't given enough time. He lost two SBs, but at least he got there. It's hardly a disgrace to lose to Walsh and the 'Niners in that era. He may not be an iconic coach like Lombardi or Walsh, but he was the best the Bucs ever had.............again, that's just my opinion.

I'm with ya, my brother!

: May 29, 2013, 01:02:10 AM bassfisher

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#21 : June 03, 2013, 03:14:31 AM

Coughlin did a pretty nice job with the expansion Jags.  Won the division a couple times.  So I think he is deserving

JJ was a helluva HC.    Too bad he and Jerry couldn't get along.  He was in and out of Dallas pretty quick, 4 seasons.   His last 3 seasons there, 3 playoff appearances, 2 Super Bowl wins.   You would think with that record, Jerra would do everything he could to retain him.   I guess Barry Switzer was an upgrade in Jerry's eyes.

Can't say I know much about ol Curly, a little before my tme.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#22 : June 03, 2013, 12:54:00 PM

Has Richard Williamson or Leeman Bennett showed up on the list yet?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#23 : June 05, 2013, 01:55:23 AM

Landry was a legendary HC, but went downhill towards the end there.  The inventor of the 4-3 defense.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#24 : June 07, 2013, 02:09:08 AM

Well, at least we know Gruden will be somewhere in the top 5.

[j/k]

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

#25 : June 07, 2013, 08:30:08 PM

I'm surprised how high they seem to have Gruden.   Top 5?    I hope they don't have him above Shula.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#26 : June 08, 2013, 01:06:57 AM

I'm surprised how high they seem to have Gruden.   Top 5?    I hope they don't have him above Shula.

Its a top 20 list, Gruden won't make the list.   He probably wouldn't make a top 50 list.  He could possibly make a top 100 list.   Maybe.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#27 : June 08, 2013, 07:01:13 AM

Its a top 20 list, Gruden won't make the list.   He probably wouldn't make a top 50 list.  He could possibly make a top 100 list.   Maybe.

You're being generous. He might make the list of top 100 OCs.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#28 : June 08, 2013, 09:37:43 PM

The great debate goes on  ;D.

Landry ought to be high on the list. The year after Lombardi left the Giants as their OC (1959) to become the Packers HC, Landry left his DC position with the Giants to be the first HC of the expansion Dallas Cowboys (1960). In 1966, the 2 ex-Giant assistants were playing for the NFL championship. In 1967, they played again, and I honestly thought the Cowboys had pulled it off when they scored a TD late on a Dan Reeves halfback option pass that totally fooled the Packers. Yep, THAT Dan Reeves; I'm gonna say he learned a LOT of his craft from Mr. Landry, who was a very good delegator... But this was the Ice Bowl, and IMO the greatest driver ever was pulled off with a lot of improvisation from the veteran Packers...

JMO, but if anyone other than Lombardi is rated over Shula, this whole thing is rigged    ;D
     Interesting comments regarding Mr. Wyche. I remember he kinda had mixed results. I was just then working at becoming a Bucs fan, so don't remember what led to his downfall with the Bucs. Please enlighten me; now I am curious!    8)

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#29 : June 08, 2013, 09:49:45 PM

The great debate goes on  ;D.

Landry ought to be high on the list. The year after Lombardi left the Giants as their OC (1959) to become the Packers HC, Landry left his DC position with the Giants to be the first HC of the expansion Dallas Cowboys (1960). In 1966, the 2 ex-Giant assistants were playing for the NFL championship. In 1967, they played again, and I honestly thought the Cowboys had pulled it off when they scored a TD late on a Dan Reeves halfback option pass that totally fooled the Packers. Yep, THAT Dan Reeves; I'm gonna say he learned a LOT of his craft from Mr. Landry, who was a very good delegator... But this was the Ice Bowl, and IMO the greatest driver ever was pulled off with a lot of improvisation from the veteran Packers...

JMO, but if anyone other than Lombardi is rated over Shula, this whole thing is rigged    ;D
     Interesting comments regarding Mr. Wyche. I remember he kinda had mixed results. I was just then working at becoming a Bucs fan, so don't remember what led to his downfall with the Bucs. Please enlighten me; now I am curious!    8)

No doubt Landry was a great coach, but he stayed too long.   4 of his last 5 seasons, they missed the playoffs.

1986........7-9

1987........7-8

1988.......3-13

1989.......1-15

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Counting down the greatest coaches in NFL history ....# 1 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools